Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:24 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
It will be interesting to see if this project comes to fruition or not, as there is a high demand right now for downtown housing that is not being met by bumbling developers.
Aren't there already lots of people living downtown in places like Mulberry Towers, the Geneva House, Hotel Jermyn Apartments, the highrise on Penn/Linden and the highrise on Adams/Vine. Sure they're eldery and mostly all senior citizens living in these places, but technically Paul, they are living in your utopia of downtown Scranton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 05:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Aren't there already lots of people living downtown in places like Mulberry Towers, the Geneva House, Hotel Jermyn Apartments, the highrise on Penn/Linden and the highrise on Adams/Vine. Sure they're eldery and mostly all senior citizens living in these places, but technically Paul, they are living in your utopia of downtown Scranton!
These existing usages though aren't targeting young professionals, empty nesters, childless professional couples, or other demographic groups interested in moving into urban environments based upon national trends. Do you think I want to live in Mulberry Towers as a young professional twenty-something? LOL!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Do you think I want to live in Mulberry Towers as a young professional twenty-something? LOL!
You can live next door to your grandparents! I was just trying to point out to others, who might not realize, that there are actually people living in downtown Scranton, they just happen to be blue-hairs.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM

98 posts, read 378,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMINOLOGY View Post
Hey SWB, I think that you are a fine writer, you certainly can express yourself, and your knowledge of the area is impressive. You may wish to consider this line of work for the future.

Hey maybe you ought to run for AB's job. We could use the improvment.
I agree. If you truely want to impact the area, forget accounting and get on board with one or more of the development companies you mentioned. Your in depth knowledge of the area is a good asset someone would be willing to pay for especially if its combined with a finance and/or business degree.

Rather than read and write about it, make it happen yourself. There is no more direct way for you to see your dreams of helping NEPA become a reality.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 16,993 times
Quote:
My prediction of the Bear Creek/Buck Township area along the Route 115 corridor between Blakeslee and Wilkes-Barre experiencing strong residential growth is starting to take shape. A proposed 366-acre, 355-unit mixed housing development was turned down late last year by the Bear Creek Township Zoning Board, but the developer is planning to work the kinks out of his plans and once again approach the board at a later date.

Plans call for an "active adult community" of 299 townhomes and 56 detached single-family homes being developed across Route 115 from the entrance to Laurel Brook Estates. Residents have expressed concern over increasing traffic congestion on Route 115, which is already heavily-used by people commuting from the Poconos to Wilkes-Barre. In my personal experience there would probably have to be a traffic light placed at the entrance to the development to regulate the four-way traffic from Laurel Brook Estates and this new "active adult" community. Residents also complained that the township would lose its rural character and take one more step towards becoming suburbanized. Once again I foresee Bear Creek Township and adjacent Buck Township booming in residential growth in the upcoming years, whether residents like it or not, as the gaps between Monroe County and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre begin to fill in with NY/NJ transplants. You might as well support this project but hope that it will be done in as tasteful of a fashion as possible.

Here is an aerial image I have included for the general proposed location of this subdivision:

In this photo you can see Route 115 with the entrance to Laurel Brook Estates landmarked by a mansion on the corner.
I know this was posted some time ago, but, I just found this site on accident, and have found it to be extremely interesting. SWB, your posts are so full of interesting information. I thought you would find it interesting (heck, you might even know more on this than I do) that the property you are speaking about here is currently up for sale through Mericle. This sparked my curiosity since I live in Laurelbrook Estates. I'm only assuming that whatever plans there were for this land have been shot down. I can't say I'm disappointed. I would hate to have a traffic light at the end of my development. I moved here from Pittston to get away from all of that.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 47,805 times
Yup, the condos are a way to reap profits while putting up properties that will eventually be tenements. With reassessment around the corner, you would have to be a fool to invest in these properties.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
Angry issues with developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Local developer John Giambra of JMG Construction revealed plans last week regarding his proposal for a 156-unit condominium project that will be targeted towards senior citizens. The units would be priced in the range of $140,000-$160,000, and construction could begin as early as Spring 2009 pending approval from the Old Forge Planning Commission and borough council. JMG Construction also developed Horizon Estates in Pittston Township, which I believe is its most recent project besides this one.

Mr. Giambra sought to have 16 acres of land between Forge and Howard Streets rezoned from an E-1 environmental zone to R-2 residential. The property sits on abandoned mining land along the Lackawanna River. The parcel can be seen in this snapshot I took courtesy of Microsoft Virtual Earth:

As a reference point you can see Lonesome Road in Old Forge along the lower-left-hand corner of the image. The development will probably have an entrance and exit from the ends of existing Forge & Howard Streets and then wind around onto the mine-scared land in the center of the image. It's quite possible that Forge Street will become a one-way eastbound into the subdivision with Howard Street becoming a one-way westbound out of the development or vice-versa since these streets are both rather narrow and may not be sufficiently wide enough to accomodate two-way traffic from an additional 156 units.

“We’re looking to provide an upscale community for seniors,” said engineer George Albert, of G & Albert Consultants, of Pittston. “The need for senior housing in this area is strong.”

“The property now generates about $3,000 to $3,500 a year. If the senior housing goes through, it will generate $550,000 a year in taxes for the borough,” he said.

The article stated that this proposed new senior condo community would "border an existing residential development," even though that is false as there are no other subdivisions in that immediate area.

Some planning commission members expressed concern over increased traffic flow on narrow Forge and Howard Streets, but Mr. Albert assuaged those fears by adding that senior citizen-oriented communities spawn less daily trips via vehicle than typical subdivisions.

John Giambra (JMG construction Inc) has lots of ongoing legal matters and lots of issues with the supervisors of Pittston Twp with his Horizon development in Pittston Twp. and was just recently in legal matters in Luzerne county court with Jenkins Twp. supervisors and has law suits against big utility companies and residents in the location of his developments

Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,787 times
I didn't want to make a new thread, but ever wonder what it looked like around here decades ago? Both Scranton & Wilkes-Barre have less than half the population they had at their peak around 1930. Most of the older homes were already in place. This site has aerial photos from around 1939 & 1959, and you can download a hi-res photo and blow it up with a photo editor.
Penn Pilot Photo Centers

Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by against developments View Post
John Giambra (JMG construction Inc) has lots of ongoing legal matters and lots of issues with the supervisors of Pittston Twp with his Horizon development in Pittston Twp. and was just recently in legal matters in Luzerne county court with Jenkins Twp. supervisors and has law suits against big utility companies and residents in the location of his developments
I'm a native of Pittston Township myself, as are several others on this site, and I am well aware of the current legal issues regarding Horizon Estates. It is a perfect example of tax revenue-seeking township supervisors selling out to developers who then fail to deliver on all of their promises.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
Default Goodleigh Manor

What we mean by "there will never be another development like this in the Back Mountain" refers to the size of the properties, average of almost 4 acres, in relation to the construction costs and cost of regulations as well as the prices we sell land for. In order for one of the local developers to develop a tract of this magnitude they would create the typical 1/3 acre lot with water and sewer. With over 11 million dollars invested in Goodleigh Manor that would be the only way they could re-create a development like this. Road costs and regulation costs have nearly doubled since we developed Laurelbrook Estates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
In addition to Yalick Farms there are many more large-scale projects being developed in the Back Mountain region, including Goodleigh Manor. This upscale subdivision being developed by Landview Properties, the same developers of Laurel Brook Estates in Bear Creek Township and Harmony Hills in Moscow, will feature 141 luxury homes on 500 acres of land. Parcels range in size from 2 acres to 15 acres. There are also two miles dedicated within the community for biking and walking trails.

I must take issue with something the developer states though: "There is nothing like this in the area nor will there be ever again." Laurel Brook Estates is most certainly in the same area and was even developed by this same firm, and it appears as if Goodleigh Manor will be very similar in nature. To also assume that there will be no future large-scale attractive upscale subdivisions in the Back Mountain is like saying President Bush will never mispronounce "nuclear" ever again. It's just not true.

Here is an overview of the 500 acres the subdivision encompasses. There are now many homes built here, and you can follow the road cuts through the trees to get a good general idea of where they are in relation to Upper Demunds Road and Lake Catalpa Road in Dallas Township.

Unlike Yalick Farms I have seen many lots in Goodleigh Manor sold already in the newspaper property transfers, so I'm unsure of how many may be left available for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania