Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 15,687 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved into Dunmore and would like to get a firepit for the summer. Does anyone know of the firepit and burning laws in Dunmore? I would use to firepit for simple recreation, like wood burning and cooking hotdogs and smores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg23 View Post
Hello, I just moved into Dunmore and would like to get a firepit for the summer. Does anyone know of the firepit and burning laws in Dunmore? I would use to firepit for simple recreation, like wood burning and cooking hotdogs and smores.
Dunno, but unless someone on this forum really KNOWS...I'd contact the fire marshal/department.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Whatever the laws are, please use common sense and courtesy when using a firepit. If it's a nice cool summer night, keep in mind that your neighbors may want to have their windows open so don't leave the fire smoking all night long!

Old 03-25-2015, 05:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Dunno, but unless someone on this forum really KNOWS...I'd contact the fire marshal/department.
Yep. Or the borough council. They would know if there's an ordinance.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 AM

472 posts, read 778,608 times
Most places in NEPA require a screened covering over the top of the fire pit to prevent a spark fire. Lots of wilderness to protect...

Old 03-30-2015, 05:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
Most places in NEPA require a screened covering over the top of the fire pit to prevent a spark fire. Lots of wilderness to protect...
Realistically the only time you really need to worry about that is starting now until things starting getting green and/or if there is a long drought. The freshly fallen leaves from last fall are at their driest and with no cover whatever below them is going to dry out too. Once you get some leaves on the trees and some ground cover it blocks both the sun and the wind and they will hold moisture. As long as you have some average rainfall it actually becomes difficult to light.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:31 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
The zoning office is the place to call. Here are the ordinances they have listed online:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6E1...RDg/edit?pli=1.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM

13 posts, read 17,625 times
I think you need to have a grate over the top of your fire. It probably has to be enclosed too.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:42 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Realistically the only time you really need to worry about that is starting now until things starting getting green and/or if there is a long drought. The freshly fallen leaves from last fall are at their driest and with no cover whatever below them is going to dry out too. Once you get some leaves on the trees and some ground cover it blocks both the sun and the wind and they will hold moisture. As long as you have some average rainfall it actually becomes difficult to light.
It isn't hard to get in trouble today. Like you said; you have to wait for everything to turn green. Here is what happens when you don't: Careless burning leads to multi-acre brush fire in Pocono Twp. - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA. According to that article the man will probably be cited and have to pay a fine - according to the Pocono Township ordinance; the fine could be $1,000. I am curious, if people burning are cited; if they are also accountable for civil penalties and cost of controlling the fire? Running helicopters and planes in the air is not cheap; should people that do the right thing be punished for people breaking the law or not even reading the ordinances?

We have plenty of calm days, with green vegetation and high humidity. If you are allowed to burn; people should use their head and play it 'safe'. I had always preferred to burn when it was raining or snow on the ground - I did not have to worry about damaging my property or the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania