Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 10:39 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
I'm not worried about getting murdered in W-B.

But I am extremely leery of visiting there and leaving my vehicle unattended.
Way too many low-lives on the prowl to do a smash & grab of anything of value for drug $.

At least in Mexico, you can toss someone a couple of greenbacks to watch your car.

I know two people that left shows at the Kirby Center to be surprised when they reached their car (with a smashed door window).
Things to consider any time you park in ANY sketchy situation especially 'events' where it is obvious you'll be away for hours. In priority sequence:

1) keep at least one car that you can park in sketchy places and use it
2) leave NOTHING of interest to be seen from the window
3) leave nothing of value in the car at all, even concealed...if you must, conceal it in funky trunky spot ideally before you park it
3b) some cars have a mechanical deadbolt like trunk lock which isn't overridden by interior unlock button...use it if needed.
4) (optional extra credit) consider leaving a door or more unlocked
5) hope you are lucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:38 PM

190 posts, read 286,180 times
or, ideally

6) catch the lowlife scumbag in the act of breaking in my vehicle and provide him a free colonoscopy via my size 13 boot.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
I was in Philadelphia this past Saturday and ended up schmoozing with street musicians, cab drivers and people at the bus terminal, all whom I have NEVER met before. The point is I felt safer in Philadelphia than I do in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. The residents of Philly are friendly, even with people they don't know, than the residents of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:47 PM

98 posts, read 111,458 times
That's because Philly attracts tourists and has been attracting them for a couple hundred years...they are used to strangers, people who speak with 'funny' accents, wear different types of clothing etc.

WB/Scranton...?

Not so much.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:11 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
That's because Philly attracts tourists and has been attracting them for a couple hundred years...they are used to strangers, people who speak with 'funny' accents, wear different types of clothing etc.
Maybe just on Market Street. In the 'hoods outsiders stick out like a sore thumb,kind of reminds me of W-B in a way.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I was in Philadelphia this past Saturday and ended up schmoozing with street musicians, cab drivers and people at the bus terminal, all whom I have NEVER met before. The point is I felt safer in Philadelphia than I do in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. The residents of Philly are friendly, even with people they don't know, than the residents of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
I lived in Philly for 8 years, sure you can walk Rittenhouse Square and have a grand old time but try walking on 54th and Market or Fairmount Ave north of Broad and your perspective is going to change in a hurry. It doesn't take long either, I lived near the Art Museum for two years and you only had to walk 4 blocks north and it got real dicey. Back the other way, Puppies and Roses.

It's real easy to go to the center of town and then make an unfair comparison about an entire city based on a few blocks in a several hundred block metropolis.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:18 PM

98 posts, read 111,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Maybe just on Market Street. In the 'hoods outsiders stick out like a sore thumb,kind of reminds me of W-B in a way.
When I visit Philly, about 2-3 times a month I go to the restaurants, Chinatown, the Museums, shopping, concerts...I don't go to visit the bad 'hoods...

Hell, If I wanted that, I would just stay in Trenton.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
When I visit Philly, about 2-3 times a month I go to the restaurants, Chinatown, the Museums, shopping, concerts...I don't go to visit the bad 'hoods...

Hell, If I wanted that, I would just stay in Trenton.
Been stuck the 'hoods here for years...I know the place

Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post

Some of those neighborhoods are far worse than Wilkes-Barre. My son used to visit his friend Joey in Kensington. He had to park his vehicle in front of their house or in front the the family owned pizzeria in the loading zone so that it wouldn't be vandalized by the the locals. I guess they liked the pizza, because no one ever messed with his car.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Some of those neighborhoods are far worse than Wilkes-Barre. My son used to visit his friend Joey in Kensington. He had to park his vehicle in front of their house or in front the the family owned pizzeria in the loading zone so that it wouldn't be vandalized by the the locals. I guess they liked the pizza, because no one ever messed with his car.
Must've just had the luck of the draw...no place is sacred there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania