Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 AM

32,773 posts, read 36,000,398 times

Advertisements

That, or just in town for a couple of days doin' some bizniz.

Before one moves to Alabama, they should understand the word y'all and know when to use you y'all and y'all y'all. Grits is a two syllable word.

When I was in Wilkes-Barre a year and a half ago, I met a guy who'd moved there from the Bronx. I was in church (Unity, Sheena) and he was speaking with an acquaintance. My first words were, "Where did you get that accent and how in heck did you find this place?" He started laughing. Turns out, he'd met a woman from the area and after suffering the long distance relationship, they decided that he would move because she had the better job and earned more than he did. I asked him what he thought about the area and if he liked it. He did. He said that he lived on a nice, quiet street, had found a church he liked, loved Wegmans and had everything he needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,725 times
We gave WB our best shot, and gave up on it 3 years ago and moved. Couldn't stand the noise all night long - shots, shouting, boom-boom cars and ugly rap constantly. July was horrendous with the 24/7 fireworks. Never saw anything like it - the whole city became smoke-filled on the 4th! (Does that still happen? Can't believe the old houses don't all go up in smoke from it) The day after the 4th, I always had to trash-pick the yard of all the bottle-rocket sticks and wrappers.

Couldn't stand watching people just toss their trash in the streets, either. Full bags of fast-food trash just tossed out windows as a matter of course. The streets are teaming with litter! Hated going out and picking up all the trash daily off our sidewalk and yard, and just watching slobs walk by tossing more as I was doing it.

Hated locking my gates all around the yard each night, because ANYTHING not tied down would walk. Lost 2 lawnmowers because we forgot to hide them when done. And the graffiti on our place just made me cry, cause I worked so hard making the place pretty. Painting and staining the exterior and garage.

I hated when the swat team showed up out front, 2 doors down to bust the section 8 renters there - about 15 living in the place rented to 1 woman and 2 kids... And the "barber shops" that kept popping up, when everyone knew what those "barber shops" were. Such a sinking feeling - Oh no, another barber shop opening. (And yes, the renters across the street did have a large rebel flag hanging on their front porch.)

I felt a little badly for the people who bought our house. But I am so very happy now to be where I am. I feel in retrospect that it is kind of like the people there are like frogs in the slowly boiling pot, blind to it until they escape. But I wish the good people there all the luck in the world, and still hope the dream of that once beautiful little city may return. But we sadly gave up. So sad, the wasted potential.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:34 AM

Wow, you lived in the wrong neighborhood. I'm so sorry that you had to suffer all of those things. My mom lived there until October 2013. She had a problem for a couple of years in the early '70s, then nothing after that. And I mean nothing. Sure, there were some fireworks on the 4th and the occasional loud car, but that was about it. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:20 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,168,797 times
What neighborhood did you live in Suz? I've lived in Wilkes-Barre since birth and have not had a similar experience to yours.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:11 AM

218 posts, read 339,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Hey Coalman: I am just stating what cops told me. I became friendly with them, due to the problems on my street including threats, gun shots, assaults, etc. The officers I spoke to back in 2011 said they were earning $10 hour. On my street I had thugs, drug dealers as well as neo-nazi's. I lived in NY most of my life including living in a supposed scary area called "East New York" and without a doubt Wilkes Barre is worse. From the article by Soul Journ Wilkes Barre is worse hands down. The best thing that I can take away from my three years in Wilkes-Barre is our Dachshund that our Neo-Nazi neighbors were selling for under $200. It's not a welcoming place, so if you don't come from that area, don't even bother looking there because it is getting worse and worse.
U must be on crackk to think wilkes barre is worse then east new york

Old 07-12-2015, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 14,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Why would someone attempt to be an Urban Pioneer in Wilkes-Barre, anyway? Gentrification only works if an area has something to draw people to it.
That's an important point that most of these types fail to understand.

The point of Urban Pioneering is to BUILD something worth drawing people into.

It's hard, however, because there are ALOT of things to consider.

1. Does this place have high unemployment with cheap land?
2. But do the people in the community also want something better? Or have they fallen into the 'Ghetto' life? Or. Worst of all. Do they expect 'Business-as-usual' to bail them out? There are plenty of places in America where people truly believe Wall Street wants to invest their community. (They don't.)
3. And if the people want something better, what exactly would be built? This is the million dollar question.
4. And even if something good was proposed, does the pioneer even have the skillsets to implement such a thing?

The good news, however, is that all it takes is one success, before millions of people benefit from the new template. It's like a hyper-virtuous cycle.

My personal hero is St. Benedict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_of_Nursia

Without him, the European Race wouldn't even exist.

But some notable American examples include Jobs and Disney; Jobs fleshed out Silicon Valley, while Disney built Orlando. Before either of those men existed, Orlando was a swamp, and the valley was just a place for government.

Anyway. I thought I would elaborate on that, to understand why great men would choose to do such a thing. If the core is rotten, than the fringes can still germinate good thigns.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,061,067 times
for its size and population--luzerne county as a whole HAS become more dangerous in the last 5 years i lived here--sadly i remember it as it was many years ago---and it continues on a rapid downhill slide-----will leave when i can responsibly

Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 PM

My son said he found it disturbing that the neighborhood streets were empty at night. While we've always lived in quiet neighborhoods, there was always someone walking a dog... or something. People weren't afraid to go outside at night.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:44 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son said he found it disturbing that the neighborhood streets were empty at night. While we've always lived in quiet neighborhoods, there was always someone walking a dog... or something. People weren't afraid to go outside at night.
That's indeed bizarre. The weather has been awful all summer here in the City of Pittsburgh, AND we live within walking distance of a rough neighborhood. Nevertheless there are always people out walking dogs or jogging around at nightfall.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,827,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That's indeed bizarre. The weather has been awful all summer here in the City of Pittsburgh, AND we live within walking distance of a rough neighborhood. Nevertheless there are always people out walking dogs or jogging around at nightfall.
Perhaps NEPAppl are better shots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania