Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times

Advertisements

Let me explain the difference between WB and Warren. When we first were thinking about moving to WB, no one could tell us what area to stay away from, in their own way, each is bad, so we had to take advice from our broker friend and the police. Now when we decided on Warren, the people from CD told us time and again to stay away from the SW section even though there were some nice older homes on 1/2 acre plots. The police also told us that, so we did and now live about 3 miles from that area and even though technically we live in the city we have a pretty home on 1/3 acre. As far as the SW section we have no business there, so we don't even see it but know it exists. However driving by the SW section of Warren there are several homes on each block that are kept really nice and others not so nice, but you know you should not be living there. Sort of, like the entire city of WB. Our home on Madison was one of the nicely kept homes.
On Madison St., you would have radios blaring all day and night, two and three year old children walking in the street by themselves, no parents visible. People hanging outside their homes on folding chairs, fighting, gun shots now and then and cars driving by and people buying drugs. This was the day in a life of Madison Street, Wilkes Barre, Pa.

Now for Warren, we live in a middle class neighborhood, where the only people you see outside are people running for their health or walking their dogs, people mowing their lawns, planting flowers, etc. People leave their car doors unlocked and sometimes even keep their garage doors or front doors open. What is nearby, an historic church, and several golf courses, both private and public and a country club. I'm not sure where in WB could you find this. Barney Farms, I think not, an ugly development plunked right down in the middle of the worst part of WB. For the price of one of those ugly homes in Barney Farm, you can buy a 4,000 SF 1920's semi mansion in Warren on 2 acres and having a country club behind you with a pond. Why would anyone want to be in WB if they don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Of course your a PI! You talk about your great Warren, Ohio neighborhood and how they leave their cars unlocked; no wonder you have a 28% greater chance of having your car stolen in Warren! Or maybe you want to talk about the 40% greater chance you have of property crime: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
. Yes, murder and rape cases are lower in Warren - but you stand almost a 90% greater chance of assault. Wasn't your moving all about your fear of assault?

Maybe you're still in the one and half years of praise thinking? All it will take is one bad experience and there you will go again - turning on those that tried to help you.

PS I did not even mention burglary which your odds are 135% higher in Warren!

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 06:35 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 02:36 PM

190 posts, read 286,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We were told to get a gun, but I do have a trigger temper and either I would have killed someone or someone breaking into our home and raping or killing my wife or daughter when I wasn't around.
The guy that assaulted me and put me in the hospital for 2 days finally pled guilty to assault and was put on probation for 3 years and was ordered to compensate me $9,000 for my injuries. What a joke, I will nver see that money.
Dear Mr PI:

You didn't need a gun.
You didn't need to kill anyone.

You should have MANNED-up and put that trigger-temper to good use by defending yourself against the thug bully instead of being a submissive crash test dummy that took a beat-down.

yeah, yeah, yeah - we know - his gang members would have raped your wife if you delivered a couple punches to his punk head.

A real man prefers to get knocked down fighting -vs- folding like a lawn chair.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
Dear Mr PI:

You didn't need a gun.
You didn't need to kill anyone.

You should have MANNED-up and put that trigger-temper to good use by defending yourself against the thug bully instead of being a submissive crash test dummy that took a beat-down.

yeah, yeah, yeah - we know - his gang members would have raped your wife if you delivered a couple punches to his punk head.

A real man prefers to get knocked down fighting -vs- folding like a lawn chair.

Yeah big talk, you know nothing about that area. Why the hell would I want to stay there. In fact when I was attacked several people were yelling at my wife for being on our porch and when I went over to calm everything down, I was blindsided by that thug, and someone said he used brass knuckles. There were also about seven low lives hanging out. What would you do, fight them all.

Whatever you want think I don't really care. I was college educated, had a good business in NY and after 911, problems happened and we decided to check out a less expensive area of the country. Little did we know, it was a ghetto. Actually when we first moved there, it was a working class neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:43 PM

190 posts, read 286,091 times
Quote:
Yeah big talk, you know nothing about that area. Why the hell would I want to stay there. In fact when I was attacked several people were yelling at my wife for being on our porch and when I went over to calm everything down, I was blindsided by that thug, and someone said he used brass knuckles. There were also about seven low lives hanging out. What would you do, fight them all.

Whatever you want think I don't really care. I was college educated, had a good business in NY and after 911, problems happened and we decided to check out a less expensive area of the country. Little did we know, it was a ghetto. Actually when we first moved there, it was a working class neighborhood.

If I was a college-educated, street smart dood with a PI tenure that included the worst parts of the Bronx,
me thinks I would not be a victim of a sucker-punch, especially considering the circumstances.

If I was a blue-collar coal-cracker from Wilkes-Barre, I would not be a victim of a sucker-punch, especially considering the circumstances.

Be aware of your surroundings at all times -- (i.e. PI 101).

or coal-cracker 101 - take your pick.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Of course your a PI! You talk about your great Warren, Ohio neighborhood and how they leave their cars unlocked; no wonder you have a 28% greater chance of having your car stolen in Warren! Or maybe you want to talk about the 40% greater chance you have of property crime: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
. Yes, murder and rape cases are lower in Warren - but you stand almost a 90% greater chance of assault. Wasn't your moving all about your fear of assault?

Maybe you're still in the one and half years of praise thinking? All it will take is one bad experience and there you will go again - turning on those that tried to help you.

PS I did not even mention burglary which your odds are 135% higher in Warren!
I don't know where I say the "great" Warren. I don't think it's great, I think it is normal, with a lower cost of living and better schools. Well one of the reasons Warren has a greater chance of having their cars stolen or having a burglary, is that no one wants anything people have in WB. Property crime occurs all over. The biggest and most dangerous crimes are murder and rape and of course, WB had a higher rate and double the murder rate. Most of the violent crime is concentrated in that area called SW. Most of the criminals in Warren also live in SW. In WB you don't know if your next door neighbor is the one going to rape someone or kill you.

Another thing Fisheye, why do you have a vested interest in WB when you live 50 miles away? That would be like when I lived on Long Island and would be a cheer leader for the South Bronx (the same distance) Also that would have never happened. The South Bronx sucks and so does WB. What you should really discuss is your experience living in WB. Oh, you never lived there, I see.
Also who tried to help us, after the attacks. (everyone's suggestion was get a gun). No one offered to come to our house and help us with the drug dealers.

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 06:35 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
If I was a college-educated, street smart dood with a PI tenure that included the worst parts of the Bronx,
me thinks I would not be a victim of a sucker-punch, especially considering the circumstances.

If I was a blue-collar coal-cracker from Wilkes-Barre, I would not be a victim of a sucker-punch, especially considering the circumstances.

Be aware of your surroundings at all times -- (i.e. PI 101).

or coal-cracker 101 - take your pick.
First of all I was a investigator for high powered personal injury attorneys in NY/ CT and NJ
You watch too many 1930 and 1940 PI movies. I had several people do my surveillance work and did have some things occur, but never in front of my home. In some of those bad parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn you can reason with them more than in WB.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
I don't know where I say the "great" Warren. I don't think it's great, I think it is normal, with a lower cost of living and better schools. Well one of the reasons Warren has a greater chance of having their cars stolen or having a burglary, is that no one wants anything people have in WB. Property crime occurs all over. The biggest and most dangerous crimes are murder and rape and of course, WB had a higher rate and double the murder rate. Most of the violent crime is concentrated in that area called SW. Most of the criminals in Warren also live in SW. In WB you don't know if your next door neighbor is the one going to rape someone or kill you.

Another thing Fisheye, why do you have a vested interest in WB when you live 50 miles away? That would be like when I lived on Long Island and would be a cheer leader for the South Bronx (the same distance) Also that would have never happened. The South Bronx sucks and so does WB. What you should really discuss is your experience living in WB. Oh, you never lived there, I see.
Also who tried to help us, after the attacks. (everyone's suggestion was get a gun). No one offered to come to our house and help us with the drug dealers.
Because of statements you made on this thread like: " We should have taken that as a clue that outsiders are not welcome in NEPA." Guess what; I also live in NEPA.

The more you talk the more I understand that how you had problems in the first place! You fail to take any responsibility for your own problems. You made all of the wrong decisions and it is just easier to blame the whole area. Why not just blame all of NY State and all of PA for your problems - why stop at the South Bronx or NEPA?

Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Because of statements you made on this thread like: " We should have taken that as a clue that outsiders are not welcome in NEPA." Guess what; I also live in NEPA.

The more you talk the more I understand that how you had problems in the first place! You fail to take any responsibility for your own problems. You made all of the wrong decisions and it is just easier to blame the whole area. Why not just blame all of NY State and all of PA for your problems - why stop at the South Bronx or NEPA?
There were some places we enjoyed in NEPA like: Harvey's Lake, The Abbingtons, Clark Summit, Patsels, The Poconos, and a few other places. Have you ever moved to NEPA as an outsider? Well we have, and our experience is that NEPA is not welcoming to outsiders.
What about the NEPA CD person who faked his own death or the other bully from NEPA who pulled a gun on his neighbor and constantly frightening people from moving to NEPA. We've never seen this insanity, even on the NY forum where you might expect it. My wife never wants to post here again, but for me, I'll post when I see fit.

You must really have a problem, because I talk about WB and W. Pittston as NEPA and you feel like you have to come to their aid. I lived on Long Island and if someone said something bad about Wyandanch or Hempstead, both on Long Island with bad reputations, I would never come to their aid. I would also say "yeah they are bad" and not defend them, so why do you? Is this a feature of your hatred for New Yorkers or other outsiders. Take responsibility for my own problems? What did I do wrong? We tried living in a totally different area and found out that people are jealous of New Yorkers. Have you ever tried moving elsewhere? I guess not. The people in Ohio accept new comers and are a hell of a lot more friendly and normal than NEPA people. When I see someone asking for advise about moving to WB, I will tell them to run.

Last edited by warren zee; 04-08-2015 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 PM

I just have to add that SoulJoun was a friend of ours from the NE and he also had problems with the NEPA people and he also left. He only stayed one year. It is funny because I've been accused of being him, but he too was fed up NEPA's crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania