Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,052 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have been doing a lot of reading and research, but always find that it is best to ask questions directly, as everyone's situation is different. My boyfriend and I are looking to move out of NJ due to the congestion, cost of living, and quality of life. We realize we will never be able to move out of a starter home or get to a point where money is not a concern. We've mulled over NEPA for a year after I spent time the last few years at his father's house in Poyntelle. I fell in love immediately, and have tried to coordinate a way to make the move. I've been in the process of interviewing for a job in Binghamton that will match the same salary I make here, and give me hope that we will be able to attain that better balance. My boyfriend was laid off in February, and has had no luck in jobs in NJ (he works in an environmental capacity, so some of the companies like SW Energy and Iberdrola could be his path). Him finding a job is not an immediate concern if I can keep my salary.

I am most concerned with striking a balance in location. Poyntelle is mapped as an hour from Binghamton - and the logic would be to find a place in the middle, but part of my reason for moving is to get out of the long and tired commute I do now. I would like to not have to be in the car any longer than 30 min each way, inclusive of any rush hour traffic. It seems Wayne County will be a bit far out, so I believe Susquehanna is better suited. I've looked at nearly every town on the map, and see the range of mileage from Binghamton, but am not an expert on the ability to travel 20 miles in x number of minutes.

Where in NEPA is a commute to NY possible in that shorter timeframe? I think I saw Brackney and Hallstead, but could we go a little further out towards Wayne and still have a reasonable commute? We do not want to live in NY due to the taxes, some of the laws, and the fact that the whole point of moving is to be near Poyntelle.

Or, in general, what are anyone's experiences with Montrose, New Milford, Susquehanna, Hallstead, and Great Bend? These seem to be the closest to NY.

I filled out the questionnaire I saw elsewhere. I am so appreciative in advance for the assistance. Sorry for SO much content - hard to narrow down all of my thoughts!

When are you moving? Possibly in the next month or so

Where are you coming from? Central NJ, near Princeton

Why are you moving? cost of living/taxes, space, traffic/congestion

Where will you be working? The move hinges on a job offer for me from a company in Binghamton.

Will you buy or rent? Buy (either an existing home, or land to add a modular)

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, significant other keen on getting a lot of acreage (10+, though I would consider a more reasonable 2+ lot if the home was more my preference). Not sure on total that can be spent - depends on job offer - but I would sell my current home for about $260,000 and believe I could spend comfortably around $275,000 (as long as taxes are lower. My current property tax is $7500/yr, so that would free up more money for a mortgage).

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? N/A - we will be staying in Poyntelle until we buy.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Couple with 2 dogs. Children not now, but in foreseeable future (5 years), so while schools are not an immediate concern, I would love to find a property we could grow in, and that would have appealing schooling options, but not a dealbreaker.

Do you prefer public or private schools? Not applicable now, but in the future, no preference... depends on costs, though.

Do you have pets? Yes, 2 dogs

Do you want or need a yard? Yes - lot size is very important to my boyfriend.

Are you keeping a car? Yes we will have 2 cars due to varying commutes.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet. I have lived in urban (NYC), suburban (NJ and MD), etc., and want to get away from that lifestyle. We are tired of the congestion.

What do you want to be closest to? Nothing in particular, but would like to be convenient to Binghamton for work, and to Poyntelle for family.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

No preference. We are somewhat homebodies - would love to meet neighbors and other people in the area (would be a plus if they were of similar age), but isn't the most important - family is nearby, and friends are within a reasonable distance.

Thank you again! Will have to go up that way for the second interview, so am able to go and explore any areas of recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 07:37 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Due to the Marcellus shale boom, housing prices in Susquehanna County have skyrocketed. The county has some of the thickest layers of shale in the whole play. If you will be working in Bingo, might as well live in Broome County as New York State will impose their high rates of income tax on your salary regardless of where you live.

Housing prices are very reasonable and there are a lot of nice areas surrounding Bingo. Ask this also in the New York State C-D forum.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:03 AM

190 posts, read 286,180 times
I would choose the endless mountains area of northern Pa west of Wayne county.
Yes housing prices in far north counties have risen sharply since the fracking boom, but they are nowhere near the prices you see in NJ. Also - you will definitely save alot of money on property taxes -vs- living in the Peoples Republic of NY - which literally taxes its residents to death.

If you look at the towns of Susquehanna, Hallstead, Great Bend areas (very close proximity to interstate 81 and a leisurely 30 min commute to Binghamton), make sure you thoroughly research the flood plains in that area. The low lying areas get swamped by major flooding from the Susquehanna River every few years.

Hope you score the job and a better quality of life by escaping from the People's Republic of New Joisey.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
Yes housing prices in far north counties have risen sharply since the fracking boom, but they are nowhere near the prices you see in NJ. Also - you will definitely save alot of money on property taxes -vs- living in the Peoples Republic of NY - which literally taxes its residents to death.

If you look at the towns of Susquehanna, Hallstead, Great Bend areas (very close proximity to interstate 81 and a leisurely 30 min commute to Binghamton), make sure you thoroughly research the flood plains in that area. The low lying areas get swamped by major flooding from the Susquehanna River every few years.

Hope you score the job and a better quality of life by escaping from the People's Republic of New Joisey.
The OP wants a house on acreage. He(she) should be aware that most all of the mineral rights to acreage in Susquehanna County have already been sold and if the OP buys, it will come without mineral rights. That means that a gas company has the right to set up a drill pad on their property and drill and frack for 3 months- night and day with unending noise and big rigs entering the property continuously.

New York State has banned fracking and the vast majority of residents are opposed so it doesn't look like the ban will be lifted anytime soon.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The OP wants a house on acreage. He(she) should be aware that most all of the mineral rights to acreage in Susquehanna County have already been sold and if the OP buys, it will come without mineral rights. That means that a gas company has the right to set up a drill pad on their property and drill and frack for 3 months- night and day with unending noise and big rigs entering the property continuously.

New York State has banned fracking and the vast majority of residents are opposed so it doesn't look like the ban will be lifted anytime soon.
You're right, and we noticed that. We do not want to buy any land without those rights for all the reasons you mention. We have viewed a few properties that will either transfer the rights, or sell them for more money (of course), but the boyfriend's father knows someone selling I think 13.6 acres (cannot remember now) in Lakewood PA for $70k, including any gas, O&M rights. Lakewood feels a little far out from Binghamton, but I have my interview there on Monday, so we are going to do the drive Sunday evening to get a vague idea.

Is $70k for 13 acres reasonable? Apparently he originally had it listed for $50k then increased the price (seems a little backwards if you aren't getting offers), so we may be able to negotiate back down.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Due to the Marcellus shale boom, housing prices in Susquehanna County have skyrocketed. The county has some of the thickest layers of shale in the whole play. If you will be working in Bingo, might as well live in Broome County as New York State will impose their high rates of income tax on your salary regardless of where you live.

Housing prices are very reasonable and there are a lot of nice areas surrounding Bingo. Ask this also in the New York State C-D forum.
Yep, I was thinking of posting there as well, thanks for the tip. I've lived in NY before (granted, NYC), and know how horrible their income tax rates are, plus the commuter tax and then local city taxes I was paying. However, my taxes in NJ are quite high now, and with my basic math skills, I estimate my income tax will only be a couple hundred more than I am paying now. I've also had to claim NJ tax credits due to NY's ignorance of reciprocity, so I'm not too shocked. I would have preferred to find a job in PA, but I work in a corporate setting, and I know those types of jobs won't be plentiful in NEPA. My only other option is to give my notice at my current job and see if they want to keep me enough to counteroffer and allow me to establish a telecommute from PA. However, either way, my hope is that property taxes going down significantly will provide a nice relief. I currently pay 3% in property tax, and who knows what NJ is doing with that money considering nothing is ever fixed.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post

Thanks! I was born and raised in New Jersey, and am pained to be so bitter about it now. Growing up, the access to things and multitudes of people were positives, but now I am just tired of it all. I hope this does not come off as spoiled, but I make $88,000/10% bonus here, and erroneously made me think I was going to be comfortable and not have to worry about finances - but I literally am still just affording what I need without being able to set aside significant savings. I also previously considered purchasing closer to my job in Somerset County, NJ, where it's a little less congested further west - it's about 30 min East of Easton PA/Lehigh Valley), but you cannot get anything less than about $400k for a 3 bedroom home. Not sure how I will ever be able to afford that, and it's pretty disheartening. Boyfriend is an Army vet with few job prospects, so I will be the primary earner. I don't expect to be rich anywhere, but I believe my salary will go a lot further and at least allow me to enjoy myself - without the constant stress of finding a better job, or negotiating a better merit increase. The rat race is tiring.
End rant. So easy to get wrapped up in the complaining, and is just another reason why I need to move... for my sanity!

I appreciate the town suggestions, and only saw in my research thus far a brief mention of flooding, so your tip is very valuable. My boyfriend learned the hard way - lived in Toms River and lost a lot to Hurricane Sandy, so we want to be very vigilant.

At this point, I have spent a lot of time zoning in on Susquehanna and Hallstead just based on what's available. In Susquehanna, there is currently an existing home on 10+ acres, or parcel of land with rights- but there's so much to do in between now and then, so I just hope the inventory will still be available.

The other option is to deal with a longer commute and check out Wayne Co - or does that still have the same concerns of shale/rights/housing costs?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAU85 View Post
You're right, and we noticed that. We do not want to buy any land without those rights for all the reasons you mention. We have viewed a few properties that will either transfer the rights, or sell them for more money (of course), but the boyfriend's father knows someone selling I think 13.6 acres (cannot remember now) in Lakewood PA for $70k, including any gas, O&M rights. Lakewood feels a little far out from Binghamton, but I have my interview there on Monday, so we are going to do the drive Sunday evening to get a vague idea.

Is $70k for 13 acres reasonable? Apparently he originally had it listed for $50k then increased the price (seems a little backwards if you aren't getting offers), so we may be able to negotiate back down.
Lakewood is in northern Wayne County and the Delaware River Basin Commission has banned fracking in the area at least for now. It's a very pretty area (I'm familiar with Camp Weequahic near Lakewood) but quite a distance from Bingo and the wintertime commute will be difficult on back country roads.

Check out Newark Valley, NY and the farm country north of Owego- very pretty area and flatter and cheaper than Wayne/Susquehanna Counties. It's in Tioga County but the commute to Bingo will be easy and you're not too far away from Ithaca with all of its restaurants and attractions.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM

343 posts, read 604,145 times
You could also check out the southern half of Susquehanna County, the Clifford/Forest City/Union Dale area. No drilling in the last two and it is a 45 minute drive to the NY line

Old 04-14-2015, 01:09 PM

13 posts, read 17,636 times
Having to travel to NJ frequently from Wayne County, I can at least attest that I completely understand how you feel about traffic. I have to time my trips at the right time so I avoid rush hour traffic. NJ traffic is horrendous. The only time you run into congestion in PA is if there is poorly planned road work going on (mainly this occurs on I-81 from Wilkes Barre through Clarks Summit). Most of the time if my commute in PA is 35 mins, its 35 mins. In NJ if my commute is 35 mins, I have to always give myself an extra half hour to get where I want to be. Its really annoying.

But maybe you can give me some insight on your own situation, because Im trying to decide if I should take work full time in NJ permanently (and move down there permanently) or if I am better off staying in PA. My incentive of going to NJ permanently was the job market down there, but I really enjoy the laid back lifestyle I have in PA right now. But from your post, if things arent as stable as they seem in NJ, and I already know how expensive things are down there, maybe I'm better off staying in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania