Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:07 AM

3 posts, read 10,546 times

Advertisements

I have recently come across some information that not many people know about and I am very excited about it. I heard that there is a large sports bar and lounge opening by Public Square. It is supposed to be a big place with over 30 TV's including a 106" High Definition TV and Flat Panel LCD TV's in the bathrooms, as well a state-of-the-art sound system. I am very excited about the news and I hope it does happen, cause I feel it is well needed. We need to get more businesses going downtown to promote economic growth. Plus, I think it is a great idea. Let me know your feedback on what you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
I haven't heard but I bet the College crowd would love it. It's the kind of place the square needs with Kings College and Wilkes University growing.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:15 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
These kinds of places will make the area more attractive for other investors who may want to bring their businesses here so let's hope you're right.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,700 times
Boston's Pizza restaurant/ Sports Bar in the arena-Highland Blvd. area closed; the space will be assumed by an Italian restaurant...........perhaps Boston's is the outfit heading to downtown since it's out of the way location off Highland held it to modest business ..

Old 01-16-2008, 06:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Is anyone else thinking Damon's? This chain used to have a very busy and seemingly profitable location in Dupont that shuttered because it fell behind in paying rent to the airport due to poor management. They still have a location in Chinchilla that likewise does bang-up business, and I know of many folks from Luzerne County who currently make the lengthy trek up to the Abingtons just to eat there. A location in Downtown Wilkes-Barre would be incredible. Their food is only average, but the atmosphere with the large-screen televisions, trivia games, sports memorabilia, etc. is awesome---the only thing somewhat close to that in Wilkes-Barre seems to be Patte's Sports Bar.

I would wet my pants if it turned out to be a Dave & Buster's, but at this point I think there is a STRONG possibility that Damon's may be trying to get back into the Wyoming Valley marketplace. A Greene Turtle will soon be coming to the former Damon's in Dupont, and a new Italian place is coming to the old Boston's.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Is anyone else thinking Damon's? This chain used to have a very busy and seemingly profitable location in Dupont that shuttered because it fell behind in paying rent to the airport due to poor management. They still have a location in Chinchilla that likewise does bang-up business, and I know of many folks from Luzerne County who currently make the lengthy trek up to the Abingtons just to eat there. A location in Downtown Wilkes-Barre would be incredible. Their food is only average, but the atmosphere with the large-screen televisions, trivia games, sports memorabilia, etc. is awesome---the only thing somewhat close to that in Wilkes-Barre seems to be Patte's Sports Bar.

I would wet my pants if it turned out to be a Dave & Buster's, but at this point I think there is a STRONG possibility that Damon's may be trying to get back into the Wyoming Valley marketplace. A Greene Turtle will soon be coming to the former Damon's in Dupont, and a new Italian place is coming to the old Boston's.
damons is very nice, I go to the one in clarks summit all the time. they just opened juniors chicken and ribs, haven't tried it yet.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post

ah, so it wasn't the whole group then. there was a damon's in gilbert, az when we first moved out here. my girlfriend and i went once, and it was nice to have a touch of home. not long after that it changed name to Fahrenheits, then got a big sign that said "closed for an extreme makeover". it was about a year ago that sign went up. still closed. must be one hell of a renovation.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,546 times
Default not sure who the company is

im not sure who the company is that is supposed to open the Sports Bar. I tried to call my contact and find out, but it is to remain quiet till the negotiations are complete. All she would tell me is that it is not Damon's, it is supposed to have the largest memoribilia collection, pool tables, trivia games, sports video game tournaments, pool and dart leagues, and so on. it is supposed to be over 10,000 sq ft. i hope it happens, cant wait to see it.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkgee View Post
im not sure who the company is that is supposed to open the Sports Bar. I tried to call my contact and find out, but it is to remain quiet till the negotiations are complete. All she would tell me is that it is not Damon's, it is supposed to have the largest memoribilia collection, pool tables, trivia games, sports video game tournaments, pool and dart leagues, and so on. it is supposed to be over 10,000 sq ft. i hope it happens, cant wait to see it.
My friends at King's and I are always looking to hit up new and exciting ventures downtown, and if managed well this could be a smashing success for the city. I love the new theater, Barnes & Noble, and restaurants, and I feel as if a sports bar (this still sounds quite similar to a Damon's, even if it isn't one), would thrive downtown. Wilkes doesn't have the large network of bars/restaurants that we at King's have (Beer Boys, Senunas's, Gonda's, Rodano's, S&W, etc.), and their larger campus would most certainly embrace something like this even more than we would.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,262 times
Talking new to area

Just relocated to the scranton area. I am a bartender and am used to fast paced DC. So I am trying to see if anyone could give me direction to some hot spot bars in downtown Wilkes Barre??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania