Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:42 PM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times

Advertisements

Most schools in this area offer afterschool sports and clubs that are open to all students. There are also recreational soccer leagues, basketball leagues, and baseball/softball leagues. There are dance and karate studios that offer lessons, and also local businesses that offer music and drama lessons. Our school district also has community education courses in several sessions throughout the year for residents of all ages. There are boy scouts, girl scouts, and 4-H clubs. Some churches have youth groups that get together for outings and activities. There are several local stables that offer horseback trail rides and lessons. For my daughter, this led to owning, training, and showing her own horse, which occupies alot of her time, especially during the warmer months. You can always go for a hike or a bike ride, go bowling, or see a movie. Go to the local library and choose a book to read or a video to watch. Volunteer afterschool with tutoring if you are able. Take up a hobby, such as crocheting or some type of craft for those days that you can't go anywhere. If you are old enough, get a part-time job.

I'm really not sure why so many kids complain about being bored in this area. If I ever complained about being bored as a child, my parents were really quick to find me some chores to do to cure my boredom!

Last edited by greentown; 01-16-2008 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Greentown...
Thanks for your suggestion...... your suggestions are the usual things that kids do in additional to going to school...that very time consuming activity!
My inquiry has nothing to do with kids complaining of being bored.
I was more looking in the lines of a social activity, to have fun. Nothing structured like sports. Sports are not an option because of the time frames.
Something for a group of friends to do together on a Saturday night, besides the movies. (No time to talk!) Beleive me...with my daughers academic schedule at Prep...she is anything but bored!

Karaoke sounds great...but at Applebess...wouldn't that be the bar crowd?

Teen bands...YES! Great idea...they used to play all the time at the Fun Center in Hamlin, but where are they now? Any under 21 clubs besides Tinks?
As much as my daughter would like to be the drummer of a rock band...drum lessons are needed first!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
How about hiking? Merlii Sarnoski has some fantastic trails. Don't forget Hickory Run, Seven Tubs, and others. Even this time of year you can snow shoe or snow mobile to get outdoors. There used to be an indoor climbing gym in wb, don't know if it's still open.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Indoor climbing gym..now that would be fun too.
Hiking...great idea, and planned for the spring, but a parents definitely needs to tag along... We are planning to do Ricketts Glen. Snow mobile...don't have one, or a bunch for a group, and I wouldn't trust teens on them if they are not experienced.

Sorry...I sound like I'm bashing all suggestions....just looking for a place to 'hang out' that has the environment for social interaction.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Indoor climbing gym..now that would be fun too.
Hiking...great idea, and planned for the spring, but a parents definitely needs to tag along... We are planning to do Ricketts Glen. Snow mobile...don't have one, or a bunch for a group, and I wouldn't trust teens on them if they are not experienced.

Sorry...I sound like I'm bashing all suggestions....just looking for a place to 'hang out' that has the environment for social interaction.
There just aren't places where you can drop off your kids to have fun with their friends, other than each other's homes or maybe a school dance or a movie. I go through this with my kids also (17 and 13 year old daughters).
Another suggestion might be ice skating or even snow tubing.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:30 PM

There was when the Fun Center was in Hamlin. Since I am not familar with the entire Northeast Pa, I thought maybe someone knew of something similar to the Fun Center or an indoor skateboard park, or a place like someone said...an indoor rock climbing gym.
When I was a teen..there was a school dance every 2 weeks. Schools rarely have dances anymore, and don't let anyone from other school in.
I guess I'll just have to put a bowling lane in my basement and some pinball mackines and a DDR....

Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
There was when the Fun Center was in Hamlin. Since I am not familar with the entire Northeast Pa, I thought maybe someone knew of something similar to the Fun Center or an indoor skateboard park, or a place like someone said...an indoor rock climbing gym.
When I was a teen..there was a school dance every 2 weeks. Schools rarely have dances anymore, and don't let anyone from other school in.
I guess I'll just have to put a bowling lane in my basement and some pinball mackines and a DDR....
The Fun Center was nice for a while, then all the gangs of kids started congregating in the front on Fridays and Saturdays. The owner seemed like a decent guy, and he tried to make it a family place, but it's hard to have a teen hangout and a family-friendly place in one small building.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 PM

39 posts, read 87,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
there was cafe metro (i think) and another i don't remember the name of, both in down town wilkes-barre. there was also a coffee bar in midtown village, but i think they started serving alcohol. i don't know if any of them are still there.

a band is a good activity for that area. there is a HUGE music scene in north east pa, lots of places to play and close proximity to new york and philly for when you get a little sharper. there are also a lot of music shops, and a lot of friends to be made. most the people i met while we did shows were pretty straight shooters, friendly and very very few were drunks or drug addicts. most the people i met took themselves and their music very seriously, some way too much though.

i miss my nepa band (MySpace.com - 14mileDrive - Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - Indie / Alternative / Rock - www.myspace.com/14miledrive), oddly here in phoenix i can't find anyone to get something going. i thought there would be more of a scene here

There was U.S. Soundsystem Homebase (or simply Homebase) in the Murray Complex on South Penn which closed in about 2002. The Wyoming Valley Zoo opened up in the floor above homebase in 2004, but the building had so many problems (electrical and floors collapsing) they had to close after only a few months.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
This maybe lame...but what about bowling, I only know of the two in Scranton and the one in Dickson City. They can play as many games as they like. The kids use to use "alternate identites" for the score board.

When my older two were a bit younger (they are 19 & 20 now) myself and other parents use to host movie nights and plan meals around them. IE, if they were watching a movie like the sisterhood of the traveling pants we would make some mexican food, greek etc. etc. A cowboy flick, chili, corn bread, corndogs.You get the idea.

Fondue was always a crowd pleaser, not the traditional cheese founde but assorted meats with dipping sauces. The kids loved it, they got into planning the menu and some would even make decorations. You have to get other parents involved or keep it to one night a month or it could become costly. It was cool because they learned about different foods from different states and countries. A secret geography lesson.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 PM

24 posts, read 92,279 times
Here in Scranton they have ice skating at the ice box ,bowling at south side bowl . wings at Kelleys on cedar ave ,I beleave thats wed.evening .We have a 16 yr old just trying to think what he does .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania