U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,094,674 times

Advertisements

I see they are starting to digitally post maps of several other Counties in Pennsylvania but not Luzerne or Lackawanna yet. I know I could go to the old Stegmaier Building and take a look but I would like a digital copy. Anyone happen to have one or maybe at least have looked at the maps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 03:50 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,951,316 times
I bet these guys could help. The Underground Miners Website

I want to go on one of the tours.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks Lehigh, looks like a good start until I make time to go to the office.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:02 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,854,666 times
The problem is that there are alot of mines that might not have been documented.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:07 PM

26,553 posts, read 47,250,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The problem is that there are alot of mines that might not have been documented.
Agreed. Some of the old coal companies were less than noble with their business practices. The deadly 1959 Knox Mine Disaster near Pittston occurred because one greedy coal company violated an agreement and harvested coal too near to the underbelly of the Susquehanna River, which eventually broke through the mine shaft and claimed several lives. One of the heroes that day, Pacifico Stella of Pittston Township, just passed away recently. I also heard horror stories about how some deceased miners were simply laid onto the front porches of their families' homes.

With such poor corporate ethics, I would be highly suspicious of any local mining maps being truly accurate.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 01-17-2008 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-17-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Agreed. Some of the old coal companies were less than noble with their business practices. The deadly 1959 Knox Mine Disaster near Pittston occurred because one greedy coal company violated an agreement and harvested coal too near to the underbelly of the Susquehanna River, which eventually broke through the mine shaft and claimed several lives. One of the heroes that day, Pacifico Stella of Pittston Township, just passed away recently. I also heard horror stories about how some deceased miners were simply laid onto the front porches of their families' homes.

With such poor corporate ethics, I would be highly suspicious of any local mining maps being truly accurate.
SWB, is this the accident where they dropped train cars into the hole to plug it so water would stop pouring into the tunnel?

I was hoping to get extensive maps that are available in the area, if I chance soon I will see if I can get copies at the Office of Mine Subsidence.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
SWB, is this the accident where they dropped train cars into the hole to plug it so water would stop pouring into the tunnel?
Yes... I will always remember seeing this as a kid while overlooking the river from a hill in Port Griffith. The huge gondola coal cars were pushed in the hole in the river and spun around in circles like matchboxes inside an inverted tornado.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny47 View Post
Yes... I will always remember seeing this as a kid while overlooking the river from a hill in Port Griffith. The huge gondola coal cars were pushed in the hole in the river and spun around in circles like matchboxes inside an inverted tornado.
I wonder if there is an existing video of this event? How about Centralia? Any Videos out there?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:33 PM

Here are some pictures I found

Old 01-19-2008, 08:06 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,951,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I wonder if there is an existing video of this event? How about Centralia? Any Videos out there?
There are a lot of pictures of Centrailia, not sure about videos. This is the best time of the year to visit there. You can really see where the fire is burning the most. Go after a recent snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania