Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanow30 View Post
Scranton would be to far to go to NYC everyday for sure. Tannersville or East Stroudsburg would be really nice. An only about 60 min drive to NYC Rt80 would take you directly there. You do have Camelback Ski area over that way and it is very nice.
It's actually about two hours each way when you factor in traffic. Thousands of people do it daily (hence the congestion in North Jersey), but I couldn't imagine the strain this must put upon their children! I'm a big proponent of that new rail line, but I'm less excited now that I see it won't be a "time-saver" at all; why we don't invest in high-speed commuter trains in this nation like they have in Europe and Asia is beyond me. It would be neat to sit on a train and zoom from Downtown Scranton to Hoboken, NJ in 75-minutes on a high-speed train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 06:15 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
SWB,

I sit on a train once a week from Port Jervis to Hoboken....2 and a half hours....I guess it is not a high speed train

The Hat

Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
With traffic NYC is about 3 hours door to door taking into account parking and getting where you need to go in the city. For his territory he would be better off south of us in the Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown due to access to 78, 496 and the NJ turnpike that would give him access to the length of NJ and major arteries into NYC. He is still close to the ski mountains in the poconos by using 33 north or 496 north. Not to mention in that area there is Blue Mtn. and Bear Creek mtn and they are both nice mountains but get crowded on the weekends. Where on the South Coast do you live? I've spent sometime in St. Ives windsurfing and staying with family for a summer on their farm. Just curious.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 AM

4 posts, read 8,249 times
Heya

Thanks again for comments. I am looking at an internal job shift, my company is globally placed and threrefore this is possible. The travelling would vary day to day, ie NY one day and NJ another. Scanton appeals as I hear its low crime and pleasant. It also now appeals as I can play Soccer (football really - ) with guys my own age.

I will also look into the other ideas you have suggested and see what the web reveals... Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 8,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
With traffic NYC is about 3 hours door to door taking into account parking and getting where you need to go in the city. For his territory he would be better off south of us in the Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown due to access to 78, 496 and the NJ turnpike that would give him access to the length of NJ and major arteries into NYC. He is still close to the ski mountains in the poconos by using 33 north or 496 north. Not to mention in that area there is Blue Mtn. and Bear Creek mtn and they are both nice mountains but get crowded on the weekends. Where on the South Coast do you live? I've spent sometime in St. Ives windsurfing and staying with family for a summer on their farm. Just curious.
Heya..

I'm near Dover / Folkstone. Great for France at the weekend but too far to ski (8hrs).

Of the places you mentioned Weluvpa, which one would you recommend for safety and children?

A

Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Allentown or Bethlehem. I have friends in Allentown and I like that area more and it seems safer. AAAAhhhh the white cliffs of Dover, beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania