Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:27 AM

190 posts, read 286,053 times

Advertisements

Penn State? - alot of natives I know renamed it Ped State after the Jerry Sandusky COVER-UP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:35 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
Penn State? - alot of natives I know renamed it Ped State after the Jerry Sandusky COVER-UP.
...the Notre Dame fans

Old 05-28-2015, 09:27 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbe0511 View Post
Good comments.

Thanks for the input.
I would strongly suggest the LHV area. The area appears to boast a modern and progressive intelligence. I have property throughout both Pike and Monroe County. Also, the entire NEPA/LHV region possess similar issues however the air appears to hold less tension. Each area present crime,disfunction, beauty, diversity, and unfortunately bigotry. You will find brilliant living space and terrific neighborhoods in both communities; often hidden but certainly there.

People complain about the transplants from NY/NJ/Philly- this seems to be code for people other than Caucasian (not always yet,generally). Honestly I've felt more comfortable around the men and women "transplants" if you will; over the natives. Copious amounts of narrow minded individuals and red(dish) necks. I must admit how I enjoy when the transplants and natives coexist harmoniously.

Taxes have been heinous and the townships/borough/cities dwindle all the monies. Roads have been disgusting since the military moved me to the area 20 months back. Traffic patterns and roadways have not increased with the influx of pedestrians.

Lastly- do not purchase in a gated community, the bylaws make you feel like a visitor or renter (can't paint, need permit to pave driveway , must possess inability to maintain interpersonal relationships). I will admit, the area holds a few really amazing schools.

From one cheese head to another- research,research, visit, and research the area again.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 562 times
I grew up in Bangor, PA. Washington township is part of Bangors school district. Although there has been some riff raff in the district in recent years amongst a couple bad teachers, it's a great place to raise a family. Downtown business have been there for decades with a few coming in and out. It's a breath of fresh air when I visit my parents, literally. Deer Park water has a source that comes from Bangor, and there is a significant clean taste to tap water. The school district has money without overtaxing, and if you want a nice area, check out Treetop Estates. They have great homes and nice property sizes. You can also find this in some areas of Washington township.

Nazareth, Wind Gap (the rural part), Pleasant Valley, are just a few of other nice local areas. Pleasant valley is closer to the poco is but each have their own good qualities. I've heard that pocono mountain school district is turning into the plague revolving around gangs and drugs, but it's all hearsay. Give Bangor a shot, you may like it.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:43 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,760 times
For the original poster, I suggest not only looking into a particular town but also at the county level. Mismanagement of taxpayer funds from my experience seems to be a common past practice and local news investigation falls short of the mark.

Personal Rant:
As a native Long Island New Yorker, whom has been a member of this forum for about 10 years I ask with all due respect will members stop with the NY/NJ broad stroke comments already! Trash is trash, if you want to say a "bad element" from NY or NJ so be it; but for the love of God stop portraying all of us as drug dealing thugs that came to a pristine area and ruined it for the locals.

Sorry but it really gets my goat. I also do not believe that most of you are aware of the impact it has on good, honest, hard working people and the children of the families of transplants from these two states. My husband was born and raised in Scranton, his family has been here for well over a 100 years. My strong accent is never going away. My youngest moved up here at 6, so now he lost his. BUT when we first came here it was tough. Also since many read this board, the negatives are compounded. Was I happy living in Scranton, no. Do we still own a home there, yes. Am I happy in Dunmore which is a spit away from Scranton, yup!!! Do I love NEPA, yes and the entire gorgeous commonwealth! Am I glad we relocated, yes and would not change it for the world. Do I have complaints, don't we all? But they are and never have been based on a comparison of "home" and here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania