Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,826,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
If one's definition of intellect is overprivileged NIMBY baby boomers who live in plastic McMansions, then sure, I guess Clarks Summit and the Back Mountain.

There's not an array of intellectual activities going on in Clarks Summit, or any for that matter really.
There is an underground Mensa group secretly meeting in rotating venues...usually a farm house or barn in Newton Township, Ransom, and sometimes Factoryville. They don't publicly announce this. It is by invitation only. Occasionally they have poets or authors present their work.

It is rumored there is an effort to start new branches in both Back Mountain and possibly Moosic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,554 times
I am thankful for each and every one of your comments. I am also happy that I posted here before getting a "culture shock" when I got there, because now I know what to be prepared for and what to put into a "must do" itinerary.

I quickly came to the realization when I read this all this morning that I need to drop my expectations of finding comforts of home so far away. Two months is a long time. Speaking with a friend of mine (a transplant from Alberta), gave me the sound advice of: You can't go to the Emerald City and expect Kansas.

I gave some thought to my original post, too. Up until yesterday (and after this thread and my conversation with my friend, which opened my eyes a bit), I truly understood that coffee houses we're an "Across America" staple, that marijuana use only resulted in a citation where it is still illegal without any true consequences, that... that.... that..., etcetera.

I also came to understand that if I wish to immerse myself in a new culture, I need to actually do that. "It ain't Seattle" is what many of you replied with, and so when I arrive I will appreciate and embrace the many cities in Pennsylvania that we will be spending time in for what they are and not what I am used to. Expect the unexpected.

I am SO EXCITED to see how much history is there, although! Especially the coal mine tour, and I am very excited for that. Google images brings up so many beautiful lakes and rivers and rolling hillsides. Barnyards and gravel streets too. It looks pastoral and tranquil in many photos.

From what I am receiving here, the people that call this place home seem like they might be leary of outsiders or people who might be different. I am used to a very "OUT AND PROUD" area, so I think washing myself of that for two months to make myself a blank canvas will allow me to embrace Pennsylvania for Pennsylvania, and that is why I want to go on this trip.

My boyfriend's extended family moved there from Maryland, and he is an Oregonian by birth. It will be a learning curve for both of us, but him, less so. He is a geologist, so because he will be spending a lot of time in the field for his work study, I will have an abundance of time to explore on my own.

Just like about 50% of Seattleites, I do not have a license. If we were not leaving within a week's time, I would pursue one! Your bus drivers may get to know me by name!

SteelCity, I hope that your friend is enjoying himself here, Capitol Hill is wonderful (if he was involved with Out For Sustainability or goes to UW for EJ, I might know him?) but a little out of the way from where we are in Wallingford.

ElijahAstin, That would be wonderful! Please do...

Thank you all for your helpful messages and replies. I admit I am now more nervous than I was before, but I am also even more excited. I wanted to jump head first into a place that was completely different from the Puget Sound region, and I think that is what I am going to get. Not many people can say they get opportunities like this, and I am going to as I said before, expect the unexpected

Thank you all again!!!!!!

My best wishes,
Skyler

Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,599,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Sounds like you have an axe to grind. The cultural institutions are overwhelmingly located in the cities, but who do you think visits them?

And the people in Duffy's Coffee Shop seemed perfectly nice and non-plasticy to me . It has the best hours of any mom and pop cafe and gets pretty packed on open mic nights (which, I may dare say, qualifies as cultural). Clarks Summit itself has a small (but cute) strip of businesses.
Not an axe to grind. I just don't think people should falsely represent Clarks Summit. I grew up there so I know better.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:09 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Not an axe to grind. I just don't think people should falsely represent Clarks Summit. I grew up there so I know better.
However you care to paint its residents with broad, subjective brushstrokes, the Abingtons are definitely home to the region's largest concentration of wealthy, educated people. Census survey data can tell you that much.

I personally think the Boroughs of Clarks Summit/Green are charming, and Duffy's happens to be my favorite coffee shop.

No one's likening the area to Hoboken or Collingswood or suggesting it as the OP's primary hangout.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 07-08-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 04:43 PM

...continued

Scranton city spots of interest might include:
  1. Walk around the downtown 'square' and a couple blocks nearby. You will see vestiges of a once very wealthy city that has fallen on hard times.
  2. Be sure to tour the Steamtown National Park.
  3. Check out the old train station, now a hotel with a nice pub. Go inside. .
  4. Drop down to the Iron Furnaces. (Grab a hot dog from one of the Coney Islands if you eat them)
  5. Walk around the booming campus of University of Scranton. (5a) If energetic and early you can walk to Marywood U.
  6. or walk the adjacent walk/jog trail that parallels old railroad tracks and goes many miles in both directions
  7. There are some beautiful old mansions in the "Hill Section" outside of town between the University of Scranton and Marywood University.
  8. etc
Among many interesting dining spots near or en route:
  • (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
  • Northern Lights,
  • Backyard Ale House
  • Edan,
  • Coney Island Lunches (there are two competitors near each other read the story on the web...they are very similar check 'em both out while you walk to the Iron Furnaces)
  • (5a & 7))
  • Jack's Draft House .
  • Little Pizza Heaven,
  • Zummo's,
  • (other areas...Scranton has many neighborhoods as an city)
  • Savory Maza,
  • Ipanema Grille,
To cover this stuff well would take a few days on foot.

Yelp and Google Maps are your pals.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,892,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
There is an underground Mensa group secretly meeting in rotating venues...usually a farm house or barn in Newton Township, Ransom, and sometimes Factoryville. They don't publicly announce this. It is by invitation only. Occasionally they have poets or authors present their work.

It is rumored there is an effort to start new branches in both Back Mountain and possibly Moosic.

(Psssst) Is there a password?

Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
(Psssst) Is there a password?
I've been told it's heyna

(heyna?)

Old 07-08-2015, 09:35 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,493,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
IYou're talking about a state that just barely legalized same-sex marriage before being forced to, like Ohio did, and you're also talking about a state that still has many businesses closed on Sundays so people can go to church. I wouldn't bet on recreational marijuana usage being legalized here anytime soon, despite the potentially lucrative results of taxation.
This is completely reflective of a status-quo obsessed legislature, and not on the general Pennsylvania population, which is more socially liberal than is often decried (compared to its Northeastern bretheren). Gay marriage and even recreational marijuana have majority support:

Quinnipiac Poll: Majority of Pennsylvania Voters Favor Legalizing Recreational Marijuana | PoliticsPA

Muhlenberg poll finds six in 10 Pennsylvanians support same-sex marriage - The Morning Call

While some businesses are completely closed on Sundays, I think we all know that is more likely due to observing some downtime, as opposed to a strict adherence to the Sabbath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCaffe206 View Post
I am thankful for each and every one of your comments. I am also happy that I posted here before getting a "culture shock" when I got there, because now I know what to be prepared for and what to put into a "must do" itinerary.

Thank you all for your helpful messages and replies. I admit I am now more nervous than I was before, but I am also even more excited. I wanted to jump head first into a place that was completely different from the Puget Sound region, and I think that is what I am going to get. Not many people can say they get opportunities like this, and I am going to as I said before, expect the unexpected
I don't think I can add much more than what has already been said, but I will agree with much that has been said that you certainly should not expect many of the aspects that you noted in your original post in an area like Northeast PA.

Things like extensive public transit, a sizable community of liberal/LGBT activism, and lots of high culture are EXTREMELY rare, if not completely non-existent, outside of major US cities (and even then, there's only a handful of large cities that would have all of these attributes). In Pennsylvania, Philadelphia would definitely fit the bill for all of those things, and Pittsburgh would have about 2.5 of them (transit is not stellar), but again Seattle is definitely an anomaly overall, even in the Pacific Northwest.

That being said, I think you definitely have a positive attitude and openness to experience something different than what you're used to, so this is by no means a way to serve as some sort of "warning"--as others have provided, this is simply advice for re-evaluating expectations.

The East Coast/Northeast is, as I'm sure you're aware, just overall very different from the West Coast in a multitude of ways. Pennsylvania is, overall, a very complex, gritty, historic, somewhat-quirky-but-still-charming place. You may find a bit more brashness, but I think Pennsylvanians are among the most genuine and friendly you'll find--truly a "give you the shirt off of my back" type of place. It has a lot to offer and experience, but sometimes it just takes some exploring. In your several months here, you should definitely take the opportunity to wander even the broader Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This is completely reflective of a status-quo obsessed legislature, and not on the general Pennsylvania population,
The tail always wags the dog on these side issues, happens on both sides. If Republican votes for marijuana legalization they aren't going to gain many votes from the D's, they aren't going to lose the vote from most Republicans because it's simply not a priority one way or the other. It's a wash with most voters and they won't gain anything.

That leaves the extreme in their party which they will lose.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:17 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,599,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
However you care to paint its residents with broad, subjective brushstrokes, the Abingtons are definitely home to the region's largest concentration of wealthy, educated people. Census survey data can tell you that much.

I personally think the Boroughs of Clarks Summit/Green are charming, and Duffy's happens to be my favorite coffee shop.

No one's likening the area to Hoboken or Collingswood or suggesting it as the OP's primary hangout.
So how does that benefit the OP? Yes, there are some cute shops in the Summit. He can go there. Why promote it at the "epicenter" of intellect? That makes no sense. It's not like there are readings of Proust every Saturday at State Street Grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania