Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:18 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
81 reminds me of the way they paint the Brooklyn Bridge: once they finish, it's time to start all over again
According to our National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) there are better practices that PA should embrace. Or, I should say, there were a dozen or so years ago. I really haven't visited them lately. They used to encourage our States to work smarter. One way they suggested is for our State to lease out our highway to the contractors that rebuild our roads. That way the company has a vested interest in completing the work quick. Another suggestion would be to have these contractors 'warranty, their work - if the road fails in a short time; they would have to fix it! NHTSA also had several other great ideas.

NHTSA also had available the work zone accident statistics. Only about one in ten fatal accidents in work zones involves a pedestrian. Most fatal accidents happen to motorist - both construction workers and the motorist that pass thru the work zones (primarily the motorist). PA, in many cases, puts the emphasis on the protection of our highway workers and ignores the safety of the public thru these work zones. Slowing down and stopping traffic only leads to death on our highways. How many of you remember I-84 under construction when we would block off one lane for five miles and only have two hundred feet of active work zone?

Our roads were never built to last forever. They served their purpose for years; but it is now time to modernize and widen them for future needs. However; we have to work efficiently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:15 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
81 reminds me of the way they paint the Brooklyn Bridge: once they finish, it's time to start all over again

Has these roads been built correctly the first time they wouldn't be in such bad condition.

I am actually surprised that more people don't cut across via the Turnpike from Pittston to Clarks Summit. That road is incredibly underused. I guess people don't want to pay the toll, but back when they were doing all that construction at Montage I used to take the turnpike to the Taylor exit and zoom up Davis St. It took a lot less time and was worth the toll.
Was 81 not built correctly? I have no idea.

When my mother wanted to go to Scranton or Clarks Summit from Wilkes-Barre, she would not allow me to use 81.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Was 81 not built correctly? I have no idea.

When my mother wanted to go to Scranton or Clarks Summit from Wilkes-Barre, she would not allow me to use 81.
Could she have known even then?

Old 07-12-2015, 05:39 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I like the alternative route idea but need help. My destination is a small lake by Lake Wallenpaupack and I come through Harrisburg, up 81 to Scranton, then 84 west. No problem paying a toll if it will move this along.

Looking at the map I could take 78 East (is that the turnpike?) to 309 North to 80 east to 380 to 84. Would that be viable option? Is 309 slow, lights?

I should point out that asking men, especially truck drivers, directions in their home area is like telling your mom you are hungry. So I fully expect the board to light up with suggestions.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
On a side note as I said I've traveled 81 south and it's horrible there too, just not always under construction. The problem is it's only 2 lanes, it's in the mountains virtually the entire way, and it is full of trucks. So what you have is a line of trucks in the right lane that obviously bog down as they hit big upgrades. As a result the left or passing lane is solid cars, all literally 3 car lengths apart, all going 70 MPH. If you are in that lane and try to back off to a safe distance a car will zip up the right, run into the inevitable bog down of truck on a hill, then cut you off as they move to the passing lane. At 70 MPH.

So you find yourself driving entirely too close to the car in front. All it take is one guy to tap on his brakes and it sets off a chain reaction, my wife ended up in the median to avoid the car in front. Again at 70 MPH. If you tire of the stress and try to simply move over to the right lane you will end up behind a bog of trucks when they hit hills all slowing to 50 MPH.

It's a horrible horrible road that can be fixed with another lane but that probably will never happen.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I like the alternative route idea but need help. My destination is a small lake by Lake Wallenpaupack and I come through Harrisburg, up 81 to Scranton, then 84 west. No problem paying a toll if it will move this along.

Looking at the map I could take 78 East (is that the turnpike?) to 309 North to 80 east to 380 to 84. Would that be viable option? Is 309 slow, lights?

I should point out that asking men, especially truck drivers, directions in their home area is like telling your mom you are hungry. So I fully expect the board to light up with suggestions.
If I were you I would simply take I-78 till you hit Route 33 north; then take 33 until you can catch I-80 west. At the Scotrun exit of 80 get off and take Route 611 north for about six miles. Then you can catch Route 196 north to Route 423 that will take you to route 507.

Take a good look at these routes on MapQuest or Google Earth. Taking Route 22, to Route 33, from I-78 would cut off a few miles; but you might hit traffic.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:55 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Could she have known even then?

I know that 81 from W-B to Scranton is not always the best route if you have a schedule. When I was active in theater in Scranton, "call" (the time the performers are supposed to arrive) was always an hour before curtain. I used 81 frequently and never had a problem until one night when I was a little late getting away from home due to a minor household emergency. I knew that I would probably be a few minutes late for call, but would not be too late.

On my way, I hit a traffic jam. Both lanes standing stock still. And I waited. And etc... Finally, the traffic started moving again and it was discovered that someone's car had burst into flame, a condition that I was very close to replicating! I sped the rest of the way, found a parking spot on Adams Ave and dashed into the theater with just enough time to get into costume and make-up.

That one incident was enough for me. After that, my trips to Scranton were all Rt 11. When people would chide me for "being afraid" of 81, I'd just smile and say, "Yeah. That's it."

Of all the highways in the area, 81 seems to have an accident, if not daily at least several times a week. I don't know if it can be attributed to speeding, the sheer numbers of vehicles that use 81 or the terrible condition of the road itself.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:51 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
We used to take River Street to Route 11. Mom know exactly which route we were taking to any location. That might mean driving through Miners Mills or Korn Krest. She did not want to be on 81, and really, neither did I. Ashley up to Chinchilla is a pain in the neck. There are too many on/off ramps.

Once you clear Scranton, 81 to New York isn't bad. Wilkes-Barre to Harrisburg? I've driven that stretch many times without incident, but when something happens, you're stuck.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We used to take River Street to Route 11. Mom know exactly which route we were taking to any location. That might mean driving through Miners Mills or Korn Krest. She did not want to be on 81, and really, neither did I. Ashley up to Chinchilla is a pain in the neck. There are too many on/off ramps.

Once you clear Scranton, 81 to New York isn't bad. Wilkes-Barre to Harrisburg? I've driven that stretch many times without incident, but when something happens, you're stuck.
From Tannersville (when driving truck) I had a choice of driving to Carlisle by either taking I-80 to I-81 or taking I-80 to Route 33, to Route 22, to Route I-78, to Route I-81. I almost always chose I-80 to I-81. It is 6 miles longer but doesn't normally have the traffic - providing no accidents and no major construction. The only time I would avoid that northern route would be during snow storms (without other information). I always liked the views around Hazelton and south to Pine Grove.

PS I had also worked for CF in Pocono Summit and, from there, the mileage is just a shade shorter over the northern route.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:29 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
I have only driven on I-81 once. I was driving from Delaware County to State College for a Penn State game, and I forgot to take cash to take I-476 once it becomes the PA Turnpike. My plan was to take I-476 to U.S. 422 to U.S. 322. I ended up taking I-476 to U.S. 422 to U.S. 222 (I made a mistake in Reading) to I-78 in Allentown to I-81 to I-80 to I-99 to U.S. 322!

When I entered I-81 at the end of I-78, I instantly noticed that I have NEVER driven on a more beautiful stretch of highway! I remember being amazed at all the mountain views and how high we were relative to a town way below the mountain. I took it all the way to the interchange at I-80. 80 had even more dramatic landscapes! And I thought that I-476 to the Lehigh Valley exit was beautiful! That drive really took the cake for experiencing the beauty of PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania