Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 14,425 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I will be moving to Scranton for work in the next 2 weeks from Philly, and will like to purchase a condo in the down town area. Can you share any thoughts on the buildings that have luxury condos? I understand that there are several projects in the works, but I need a place relatively soon. I will be staying at the Hilton hotel till I find a place.

How are things like security, parking, restaurants etc. I am very flexible, when it comes to price.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa19146 View Post
Hello everyone. I will be moving to Scranton for work in the next 2 weeks from Philly, and will like to purchase a condo in the down town area. Can you share any thoughts on the buildings that have luxury condos? I understand that there are several projects in the works, but I need a place relatively soon. I will be staying at the Hilton hotel till I find a place.

How are things like security, parking, restaurants etc. I am very flexible, when it comes to price.

Thanks
Hello,

I really don't wish to be the bearer of disappointing news, but as of right now condos, lofts, apartments, etc. are as scarce as hen's teeth in Downtown Scranton. There is indeed a very strong demand for such units, but thus far our bumbling developers have yet to bring any of their projects to fruition.

If you're specifically looking for loft-style living in the city, you might enjoy "The Lofts at the Mill," an old silk mill that has been converted into a modern loft complex. It is located in the Petersburg part of the city's Upper Hill neighborhood (near Nay Aug Park), and it isn't a very easy walk to downtown; a vehicle would be a must. I have a friend who lives in one of these units, and they seem to be very modern and efficient (albeit rather steep in price in relation to the region, from what he told me).

For more information about this complex, you could visit:

The Lofts at the Mill University of Scranton Apartments Professional Living Marywood Students

Other projects slated for completion within the next 2-4 years include the following:

Connell Building: Restoration of historic Connell Building along North Washington Avenue into approximately 50 condos ranging in size from 900 square feet to 1,400 square feet with ground-floor retail space. This project is finally starting to show some promise now that a new parking garage is being built adjacent to the property.

Jefferson Pointe: Construction of new multi-story building that will house restaurants and office space on the first floor with apartments or condos in the upper-stories. Lord only knows when this project will FINALLY get off the ground, especially since it was announced five years ago that it would be completed in 2004 or 2005. This building will be right next-door to the Hilton, where you'll be staying, and across the street from the Radisson.

Images Courtesy of Normandy Holdings

500-Block of Lackawanna Avenue: After stumbling block after stumbling block in the form of eminent domain battles and funding shortfalls, there is finally some slight promise that this project may be launched soon, as construction barricades now block off the 500-block of Lackawanna Avenue (across the street from the Hilton), and work on esthetic streetscape improvements has now begun. Eventually this long-blighted block will house renovated facades, greenspace, artists' studios, restaurants, and boutiques.

Image Courtesy of "Frank's Place."

Image Courtesy of "Historic Scranton."

St. Peter's Square: Renovation of existing structures near St. Peter's Cathedral to house upscale condos, restaurants, and boutiques. A major fire earlier this year threatened two new businesses in the project---the Crazy Pineapple Gift Shop and Scanlan's Restaurant---and the commotion over the fire reinvigorated interest in the status of the project. Even though progress has been very limited, the developer still pledged that it is on-track and that he is committed to the downtown's revival.

Image Courtesy of "Historic Scranton."

Sixth Avenue Redevelopment: Construction of two new high-rise condo towers on the western banks of the Lackawanna River near Sixth Avenue that would bridge the noticeable gap between downtown and the Hyde Park neighborhood of the city's West Side. Lord only knows when this project will be completed.

Your best bets would be to contact either Semian & Gress Real Estate at (570) 344-6880 or at Scranton PA Real Estate | Scranton Real Estate or Weichert Realtors at (570)
341-5000 or at For Scranton realtor, Clarks Summit real estate, and Dalton properties, go to the experts: Hibble & Associates , as both of these firms specialize in the downtown area.

Best of luck to you! I know that Weichert had been marketing a few downtown condos in the recent past, but I believe they've all since been sold.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Also be advised that the primary reason that none of these projects have been able to materialize is due to funding. These developers are spending the same amount on materials, labor, overhead, etc. to bring these projects to a small market like Scranton as they are in larger cities like New York City or Philadelphia, yet they can only charge a fraction of the rent/sales prices here that they could there, making it VERY difficult for them to recoup their investments and generate a return without government subsidies.

For example, it might cost $10,000,000 to bring a project like the Connell Building to fruition in either Center City Philadelphia or Downtown Scranton. With 50 condos in the building, each one would have to sell for at least $200,000 in order for the developer to merely "break even." Such condos in Philadelphia might sell for $400,000 each, generating a profit margin of $200,000 per unit, or $10,000,000 overall for the developer. However, such condos would NEVER sell in Scranton for $400,000. Perhaps $200,000 would be a general ball-park figure of what folks here might be willing to pay for a modern downtown condo, which would be that proverbial "break even" point. No developer goes into a project with the intention of losing money or just recouping their investment; they seek profits. The only way they can generate a profit here is if government sources kick in a bit to help finance their projects, a practice which receives major backlash from city residents like weluvpa, who feel investing in the downtown is a waste of tax dollars.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
like weluvpa, who feel investing in the downtown is a waste of tax dollars.
Only when we are hundreds of millions of dollars in debt and have nothing tangible to show for it. Maybe she could live in the Southern Union building.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:56 AM

28 posts, read 78,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Only when we are hundreds of millions of dollars in debt and have nothing tangible to show for it. Maybe she could live in the Southern Union building.

You are the type of ignorant person that brings this town down. And it really pisses me off because you are the very small minority. I am sick of people bashing this city. Have some pride in where you come from. Someone comes on here looking to move in, and you throw your in hate, trying to make the city look bad.

Theres certain people that no matter how good things are, they look for something negative to complain about. This is a great city to raise a family, no matter what your income level is. There is very very very little crime compared to other cities this size. I wouldnt feel threatened to walk anywhere in North Scranton at any time of night. The sense of community that you get within your neighborhoods cant be matched by any other city. This is seen by the great following of local high school football and basketball. And one of the best things I believe is that Scranton and NEPA is one of a very few communities left that has not lost its white ethnic customs and identities. Too many other places have been whitewashed to form this generic middle class white culture with no sense of belonging or any real culture.

See its not that hard to show some love for the city that raised you. You should try it some time.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonND View Post
You are the type of ignorant person that brings this town down. And it really pisses me off because you are the very small minority. I am sick of people bashing this city. Have some pride in where you come from. Someone comes on here looking to move in, and you throw your in hate, trying to make the city look bad.

Theres certain people that no matter how good things are, they look for something negative to complain about. This is a great city to raise a family, no matter what your income level is. There is very very very little crime compared to other cities this size. I wouldnt feel threatened to walk anywhere in North Scranton at any time of night. The sense of community that you get within your neighborhoods cant be matched by any other city. This is seen by the great following of local high school football and basketball. And one of the best things I believe is that Scranton and NEPA is one of a very few communities left that has not lost its white ethnic customs and identities. Too many other places have been whitewashed to form this generic middle class white culture with no sense of belonging or any real culture.

See its not that hard to show some love for the city that raised you. You should try it some time.

Dan raised an honest point, and a very truthful point at that. It may not be the truth we want, but its the truth nonetheless. Some of you need to stop living in fantasy world. Not all is negative here, but unless the city government gets an enema really quick, the corrupt Doherty administration is going to drive this city down the toilet in debt. Look at SWB's above post, yet another walk down the yellow brick road, and see that most of those projects that were promised years ago are still not a reality.

I have to ask, ScrantonND, do you actually live in Scranton, or are you another non-city-resident who keeps telling us overburdened city taxpayers that we should just shut up and drink the Doherty kool-aid and be happy with our tree houses crumbling eroding overpriced nature trails, declining public safety, and skyrocketing debt and taxes? Easy to say when you don't live here.

Last edited by FightinPhils; 03-11-2008 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
like weluvpa, who feel investing in the downtown is a waste of tax dollars.
In reading these posts, the one thing that becomes clear is that SWB tries very hard to challenge other posters to come out and argue with him over and over again about the same issues that have started arguments in the past. If you want to answer the OP, then just post your same old paragraghs or better yet, just give a link to one of the hundreds that you've already written. Just do it without starting another round of drama.

This sort of thing is probably the main reason why so many are no longer bothering with this board.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 AM

28 posts, read 78,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Dan raised an honest point, and a very truthful point at that. It may not be the truth we want, but its the truth nonetheless. Some of you need to stop living in fantasy world. Not all is negative here, but unless the city government gets an enema really quick, the corrupt Doherty asministration is going to drive this city down the toilet in debt. Look at SWB's above post, yet another walk down the yellow brick road, and see that most of those projects that were promised years ago are still not a reality.

I have to ask, ScrantonND, do you actually live in Scranton, or are you another non-city-resident who keeps telling us overburdened city taxpayers that we should just shut up and drink the Doherty kool-aid and be happy with our tree houses crumbling eroding overpriced nature trails, declining public safety, and skyrocketing debt and taxes? Easy to say when you don't live here.

Yea born and raised in North Scranton, Providence section. Why does anything that is said about the city revert back to Doherty. In all honesty, I dont care for the guy and wouldnt vote for him, unless Janet evans runs against him. I dont think he represents the true population of scranton too well, and I dont agree with any of the recent hires he has made. However just because I dont like the mayor, doesnt mean that I dont like the city, and post negative things on a message board to someone who is considering moving in.

The point was that someone was interested in moving to Scranton, yet you people have to chime in and say something negative. Where is this declining public safety? Move to allentown or reading and then tell me how much crime scranton has. Ill say it again some people cant help but be negative. Why belittle the city that raised you? If you dont like it here then move! Scranton would be better off without you dragging its image in the mud.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Why does everyone feel that if you don't like the present form of government in Scranton, you don't like Scranton. If I didn't like this city and love this area then I probably wouldn't say anything. I see things for what they are and some tend to see things for what they want. SWB continuiously looks to unrealistic and over priced projects as a way to get the city moving forward. I see them as a financial anchor around our necks.

This city is so bured in debt right now and we have nothing to show for it. There are no jobs, no companies, no money.

I love the fact that the two biggest cheerleaders here don't even live in the city. Actually I think that the only ones that do are Mr. Krabs, CHS89, loveinbloom and myself.

We are distressed and we are hundreds of millions of dollars in debt but god forbid I say anything about it right? ScrantonND your a hypocrite, you left the area you love? Why did you leave? If the area is soo great and there is something for everyone of all income levels then why did you leave? Where are you raising your family at?

I'm raising mine here and fighting so that my son doesn't have to pay for the Doherty debt.

IMHO the op was from rumncoke.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
Not trying to fan flames, but.... The different camps here look like this to me. Those who wear rose colored glasses , and those that dont. I have lived here for 50 years, I think overall Scranton and the surrounding area is a great place to live ,low cost of living, neighborhoods that for the most part still ARE neighborhoods, but my eyes tell me that this Administration and some who have bought into the hype, cant see and dont want people to know that we are at a crisis point..wage tax, merchantile tax, urban flight etc. are taking its toll
I dont believe that there is a great demand fot downtown condos, or real estate in general... look at the vacant townhouses on Green Ridge St. They were hyped for months in the paper, but if you look at them when you drive by, the sheetrock isnt even hung in them... no buyers..
I hope the city does undergo a positive upswing, but rather than these these pie in the sky projects, smaller FEASABLE steps need to be taken. You have to crawl before you can walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania