U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:26 PM

734 posts, read 1,387,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
The mountain is beautiful and I do love the snow i just feel this summer went too fast. Time went too fast Im not ready for winter)
Hate to tell ya Sarge but the older you get the faster time goes. Maybe you went over the hill on the last birthday?

It would be polite of that shark not to eat me. But I don't think they have very good manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 880 times
Cool Worried about Winter?

What are you worried about, you have the gelt, no problem.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:39 AM

14,296 posts, read 11,644,501 times
By the way; here is the link to the Farmer's Almanac for the winter of 2016: Farmers' Almanac's 2016 Winter Weather Forecast. Sarge better stock up on blankets according to that! They are predicting cold and snowy like last year. Of course I personally think they are advised by one particular woodchuck that hates humans!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:03 AM

2,737 posts, read 2,985,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
By the way; here is the link to the Farmer's Almanac for the winter of 2016: Farmers' Almanac's 2016 Winter Weather Forecast. Sarge better stock up on blankets according to that! They are predicting cold and snowy like last year. Of course I personally think they are advised by one particular woodchuck that hates humans!
Hmmm. A cold and snowy winter in the Northeast? That sounds like what the Miner's Almanac would predict too. Coincidence?

BTW, for those who don't know it, woodchucks are wimps. They'll begin hibernating in a month or so...Octoberish. I don't trust the little buggers at all

Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 AM

6,343 posts, read 7,800,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Hmmm. A cold and snowy winter in the Northeast? That sounds like what the Miner's Almanac would predict too. Coincidence?

BTW, for those who don't know it, woodchucks are wimps. They'll begin hibernating in a month or so...Octoberish. I don't trust the little buggers at all
A cold and snowy Winter in the northeast. In other news, Monday follows Sunday. <yawn>

I have a woodchuck living under my front porch. Sometimes, he goes to his country home, under my neighbor's porch. I call him Phorty Phort Phil. Oh, lord, I crack me up!

Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post

Yea; I always hate that Punxsutawney Phil said this or Punxsutawney Phil said that. Who ever said we can't shoot the messenger? It would make me feel better.

By the way groundhogs are wimps; but only to a certain point. Most humans, in good shape, can outrun the little buggers. But, once the groundhog realizes that it cannot escape, it will turn and attack. I had a neighbor that lost a German Shepard to one years ago; the groundhog got the dog by the jugular vein.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 AM

2,737 posts, read 2,985,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yea; I always hate that Punxsutawney Phil said this or Punxsutawney Phil said that. Who ever said we can't shoot the messenger? It would make me feel better.

By the way groundhogs are wimps; but only to a certain point. Most humans, in good shape, can outrun the little buggers. But, once the groundhog realizes that it cannot escape, it will turn and attack. I had a neighbor that lost a German Shepard to one years ago; the groundhog got the dog by the jugular vein.
I agree. They are quick for about 20 yards which is why they don't stray far from their tunnels. I meant they're wimps because they hibernate early...but as most any animal they can/will fight when cornered.

BTW, my local bobcat kicks their butts quickly ... I've observed this confrontation. I suspect the coyotes do too.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:06 AM

431 posts, read 551,116 times
I'm in trouble. Chimney sweep will not sweep my pipes for my woodstove... I do not have a firebox in my fireplace. Wood from the outside is exposed. Any ideas? I don't want to have to spend the $2k-$3k repair right now if I don't have to. I went on the defensive and fired Amerigas who I had a contract with expiring in October. Gave me a price of $1.99 per gallon but they charge a "deliver in the community fee?" I called Heller Propane got locked in at $1.78 a gallon til July. My house heats fine on propane so i may take the wood out of the equation for this winter. Might be cheaper as propane prices fall and my wood price has gone up. I'm even thinking that by July I will be over paying for propane at $1.78 a gallon. I'm thinking not having to be outside shifting wood around in the bitter cold and snow, might be just what the doctor ordered. I'd still like to have the wood stove as a back up... Anyone know a chimney sweep in the Tobyhanna area I can call for a second opinion???

Old 09-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
I'm in trouble. Chimney sweep will not sweep my pipes for my woodstove... I do not have a firebox in my fireplace. Wood from the outside is exposed. Any ideas? I don't want to have to spend the $2k-$3k repair right now if I don't have to. I went on the defensive and fired Amerigas who I had a contract with expiring in October. Gave me a price of $1.99 per gallon but they charge a "deliver in the community fee?" I called Heller Propane got locked in at $1.78 a gallon til July. My house heats fine on propane so i may take the wood out of the equation for this winter. Might be cheaper as propane prices fall and my wood price has gone up. I'm even thinking that by July I will be over paying for propane at $1.78 a gallon. I'm thinking not having to be outside shifting wood around in the bitter cold and snow, might be just what the doctor ordered. I'd still like to have the wood stove as a back up... Anyone know a chimney sweep in the Tobyhanna area I can call for a second opinion???
Here is a link that will show you one of the oldest masonry suppliers in our area: A W Zacharias Mason Supplies on Chestnut St in East Stroudsburg, PA - 570-421-1040 | Concrete Construction Equipment Dealers CMac.ws. If any body will know somebody that can help you; they will.

By the way; Tractor Supply had a box of fire brick in the front of their shop (if I remember correctly; perhaps it was another store I was in recently). All you need is the fire brick and furnace cement and you should be able to make your own firebox. In many of the wood stoves, that I was familiar with, the firebrick was not even mortared in - it was loose on the floor and just metal tabs held it in place on the sides.

By the way; I just got back on line after Blue Ridge was down for 27 hours - thanks to that accident on Mt. Pocono. We have our home phone, internet and cable TV service with them and we were totally blind for the last day. That is one of the hardest aspects of winter; sometimes there is simply no service (electric, phone, internet, news, etc.). I guess Blue Ridge is getting us in shape for a hard winter?

Was anybody hurt in that Mt. Pocono accident?

PS That mason supplies business also sells chimney brushes - if you feel ambitious and don't mind climbing. I think they also have logs to burn and clean out soot as well as flares to throw in if you do have a chimney fire.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:17 PM

431 posts, read 551,116 times
good info fisheye i'll try for a cheap fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania