U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 PM

275 posts, read 451,481 times

Advertisements

By the way, did anybody see that new story about the local entrepreneur who invented that product called Miracle Beer? I think it will catch on! It really *did* look like coffee! I honestly don't think my manager would catch on if I drank some at work. Maybe if saw me pouring some he'd ask for some though....well, it might still work if they target it towards a more niche market.

Maybe they could target Phillies fans? They probably wouldn't catch on until they got caught a few times or so. They could have that star Phillies pitcher advertise the product....I can't honestly thing of the name of a Phillies pitcher though. Don't they have their designated hitter pitch because he has like a high $3 contract over the next 7 years? If memory serves me the Phillies are still in the American League. Either that or maybe the Phillies was that team that was discontinued in 1909 and I'm thinking about the Pirates.

Last edited by businezguy; 03-27-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 AM

3,756 posts, read 5,918,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
It was wearing for me to even read it. It is exactly what we tell people all the time.
The taxes, and the home......don't make up for the expence on things they are saving.
Not when you pay the school tax, then the bus rates, the heating cost, and the wear and tear on yourself.
So, so, many come and think they will get the good paying nurse, or bank jobs......then they learn they don't pay well here in Pa.
If you work in the city, you need to live by the city.......Pa is just too, too, far.
I agree. Did the commute some years back for a short time and it is wear and tear on everything........

Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 PM

6 posts, read 11,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
1) That depends. The area I live in would be considered suburban, and I live near areas that I would define as sprawling. A co-worker of mine moved to a place in NJ that is about 15 miles closer to work then I am, but is significantly more rural and because he has to take a significant amount of his commute on roads that are not true highways, his commute takes longer and he actually burns more gas.

2) It is very common. In fact it is so common that Monroe County has the longest commute time in the nation according to a recent government study that came out. I believe the average commute time is 36 minutes.

3) I have a former co-worker who commuted from Mount Pocono to Newark, NJ (where I work). He traveled 86 miles one way. I live in Smithfield (a part of East Stroudsburg) and live 66 miles a way. The 20 additional miles this gentleman had to drive greatly added to his commute time and I wouldn't do it, but there are folks who do.

4) From where I live, it would be a significantly longer commute to Philly then NYC. It would be like a 240 mile round trip versus a 132 mile round trip I take to Newark, NJ. It would not be all highway driving by any means, and it would more then double my commute time. That would be simply insane.

5) That is not the case. I am a Yankees fan and when I turn on the news in the morning they are talking about the Phillies and rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles, and the stations are focused on Philadelphia not NYC. I will not score brownie points when I admit that when they cover Phillie news and they show pictures of Phillie I always think to myself, "Awwww, that's so quaint and cute.

In fact, here's some additional thoughts I have had while watching my new local news:

My observations on Phillie/PA Crime

-Awww, what a cute little crime they just reported, like I care that some guy is stealing UPS packages off some doorstep.
-The guy touched that lady who was jogging and she's pissed? That lady obviously doesn't work at an NYC Law Firm.
-The car was built in 1991, who cares?! If that was my car I'd send the thief a letter of thanks and politely ask him to at least remove the license plates so I don't get any tickets.
-The mail box is painted, and the guy didn't even spell "Ur a bud purson and I dun lik u" properly, why are you crying and saying you feel violated? Just repaint it or see if you become the criminal's agent and get him on one of those stupid, hooky Sylvan Learning commercials they have so much over here.

Philly Parades (Awww, how cute!)
-Ummmmm, the biggest city in the state and they couldn't come up with $30 million for the Phillie parade and now the Boy Scouts are pissed at the mayor? Do the Boy Scouts even ATTEND a Yankee Parade? Does anybody CARE?
-Awwww, look at the cute little parade after the Eagles won the superbowl, there must be like 7 fans there at least. Did they build those floats with $30 and a red Ryder Wagon or what? Is that a balloon of He-Man? Do kids even know who that guy is anymore? That must be how they got the budget down to $15 million....
-That balloon of Mickey Mouse must be at least 3.5 feet in height, I hope it doesn't get windy, an innocent bystander could get hurt....from laughter.
-Wow, so the Phillies DO have more then 8 players, after the $15 budget thing, I wasn't sure if the team could afford more.....

Of course, I am awestruck by the professionalism of the local news, and how polished it is:

-Did they hire Michael J. Fox to run the camera or what?
-I wonder if the Anchorman has to have a second job to pay his mortgage?
-Was that a tv commercial for a garage sale down the street? I talked to the guy on my way home and he said he made like $4.45 already.
-Is the Weatherman trying to be funny, or is he just bi-polar and having a manic episode?
-Actually, $10,000 is worth more than $1,000, but at least you reminded I need to do my taxes today. Are you sure it's a good idea to deduct my honeymoon as a business expense? I'll have to look into that.
-I know you are trying to plug Dunkin Donuts today, but I forgot the date for the sale because the bug running across the counter is distracting me. I wonder if that is a cockroach or a grasshopper? That reminds me, how does much HD TV cost again? That's right, this channel isn't available in it....
-Interviewing that hair stylist might be more fun if maybe they worked at a more high end salon then Cost Cutters, the woman doing the interview pretended to be interested, and the interview was about something other then interviewing a hair stylist. I wonder if they have an advice box...and like a management staff....or at least like one executive or something.

My favorite part is when they cover local interests:

-You're right, they really ought to paint that curb yellow. Maybe I should check my property value in a couple of months....hmmmmm
-How did that guy win that kite contest again even though he forgot his kite? *Rewinding the show with my new Tivo box* Oh....he was the only one that showed up. I could have used $10.....maybe next year I'll go if I can find a piece of paper and string.
-Suspenders are considered cool in college now? The times....they are a changin'. When I was in NYC they other day those NYU students didn't have any on, they are usually right on those trends...next time I'm there maybe I'll have to check out Fashion Institute on 4th Ave....those students are totally on it. Actually, I wonder how the FI students could swish so much with suspenders on....
-Flannel is cool as well? Well, it IS comfortable so I totally saw that one coming!
So I don't get it.
If NEPA has so many commuters to NY/NJ

1) Why don't they get NY TV and sports stations?
2) What are the splits in the MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA
-I would assume given the ties with commuters to NY this would by NY territory.
3) It just makes no sense you would have people commuting to one region (NY) but more culturally tied to another (Philly)

Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 AM

You can get a package with your cable or direct tv operator that allows you to pretty much see whatever sports team you want. Your wife will love it.

As for the news, I guess the answer to your question is that there are plenty of folks who are more tied to NJ/NY then say Philadelphia but we must not be as common as we think. Much of his migration has really begun after September 11th. It happened for years before, but really has now become more common. The point is, the mixture of the population still heavily favors their identity with PA. Besides, who isn't to say in a few years that I don't be come the 8th Eagles fan?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:58 PM

149 posts, read 347,382 times
Trying to remember....who won the World Series??? It is nice that you support your teams, but the "local" news is generated from the Scranton & Wilkes-Barre markets, thus the Philadelphia support. When in these locales, you will find that athletics hold a predominant foothold in the "Coal Region". This is why there is such a strong basis for fan support for the Philly teams. You unfortunately live too far East in Pa to appreciate the fan based appreciation that supports a team for which you do not lend support. That is fine, but with the advent of the SWB Yankees, there has been increased support for the teams from your home state. Be careful about your "bashing" of this area, after all, you chose to move here!!! There must have been a good reason or you would still live in NY/NJ, correct??? Problem is, most NY/NJ transplants who live in the Poconos never get past Blakeslee on Rte 80 or past Mt. Pocono via 380. There is quite a bit to do in see in this area & you miss out on a lot if you just, "Go West young man..." You will find that maybe we are not as trendy as NY, but we are courteous, patient, and willing to accept all those that cross our border and want to call our home their's as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb1966 View Post
Trying to remember....who won the World Series??? It is nice that you support your teams, but the "local" news is generated from the Scranton & Wilkes-Barre markets, thus the Philadelphia support. When in these locales, you will find that athletics hold a predominant foothold in the "Coal Region". This is why there is such a strong basis for fan support for the Philly teams. You unfortunately live too far East in Pa to appreciate the fan based appreciation that supports a team for which you do not lend support. That is fine, but with the advent of the SWB Yankees, there has been increased support for the teams from your home state. Be careful about your "bashing" of this area, after all, you chose to move here!!! There must have been a good reason or you would still live in NY/NJ, correct??? Problem is, most NY/NJ transplants who live in the Poconos never get past Blakeslee on Rte 80 or past Mt. Pocono via 380. There is quite a bit to do in see in this area & you miss out on a lot if you just, "Go West young man..." You will find that maybe we are not as trendy as NY, but we are courteous, patient, and willing to accept all those that cross our border and want to call our home their's as well.
Truth be told, I wasn't bashing Phillies and Eagles fans, I was simply having a bit of fun. I love my move to PA and actually enjoy the morning news. It actually has more interesting stories and a more conservative spin (not much) which I appreciate. My grandpa was a Phillies fan, and I rooted for the Eagles in the superbowl since the Giants didn't make it.

You are right, *we* are more courteous then folks from NY. I love that folks over here are less on trends then our folks from NYC. Besides, part of the reason the folks in NYC spend $300 on their jeans is because they can only fit 2 of them in their closet anyway since if they bought three they wouldn't be able to fit the double bed in the same closet.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM

149 posts, read 347,382 times
Thank you for the light-hearted reply....I don't feel so bad or "bashed" now. Sometimes it is hard to stomach the "whiners" who move here & then regret it. One can always go back from whence we came. When I read some of these threads & people complain about this region, maybe being backwards some...compared to what NYC or Philly? You know what, it really isn't as bad as those who like to complain make it. You've got great proximity to NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, Pittsburgh, just to name a few. We've got great schools & colleges overall. Some bad spots, but doesn't everyone have some bad these days?? We've got (4) distinct seasons to enjoy, albeit winter could be shorter (LOL). Great recreational activities lakes...rivers....streams...parks...etc. Triple A baseball, hockey, arena football, concert venues, etc. Pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of the NE quadrant of the US. Great property values, considering the decline in other portions of the country. We've got it pretty good around here and folks should see our region for what it is & what it has to offer. Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb1966 View Post
Thank you for the light-hearted reply....I don't feel so bad or "bashed" now. Sometimes it is hard to stomach the "whiners" who move here & then regret it. One can always go back from whence we came. When I read some of these threads & people complain about this region, maybe being backwards some...compared to what NYC or Philly? You know what, it really isn't as bad as those who like to complain make it. You've got great proximity to NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, Pittsburgh, just to name a few. We've got great schools & colleges overall. Some bad spots, but doesn't everyone have some bad these days?? We've got (4) distinct seasons to enjoy, albeit winter could be shorter (LOL). Great recreational activities lakes...rivers....streams...parks...etc. Triple A baseball, hockey, arena football, concert venues, etc. Pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of the NE quadrant of the US. Great property values, considering the decline in other portions of the country. We've got it pretty good around here and folks should see our region for what it is & what it has to offer. Welcome to the neighborhood!!
I love it over here, and feel a part of the community. Thanks for welcoming me!

My intent was to poke a bit of fun at folks who take the viewpoint of superiority, and also some of the humor I've found about the area itself. Frankly I find humor about any area and so just about anything so I just have fun with it.

You are right about property values holding up. I live in a loose "gated community" and there are about 300 houses in my community. About 2 years ago there were usually about 20 houses or sale in the community (not bad). I just looked the other day and there was just 1 place for sale. Now that's what I can low inventory. It's obvious that this economy is actually ENCOURAGING folks to move here. I'm a bit surprised because I had the theory that NYC property values declining would effect Pocono property values.

Not sure if that will happen. If there is, there may simply be a delayed action--but I'm not so sure at this point.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 AM

77 posts, read 115,896 times
If you live in the Pocono's, you get all of the NY TV stations as well as the local stations (Scranton/ Wilkes Barre) and some Philly stations. So we get like 2 or 3 NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox channels. In Scranton you only get the local affiliates. Personally, I rarely watch the NY or Philly stations because why bother? They do not cover anything NEPA. What is the point of watching NYC news if you don't live there? The previous poster was joking about the "cute news" in this area. Well, NEPA as a whole averages maybe 5 or 6 murders a year compared to NYC's 300-400 per year. There is nothing to be ashamed about living in a safe area. I was born and raised in LI and Queens and I'll take the small town atmosphere of NEPA anyday. The local news does a good job of reporting all of the "little stories" that the NY news would never be able to do because there is just too much crime.

And I wouldn't call Philly "cute" either. Philadelphia is far, far more dangerous than NY. Just look up the stats. In fact, Phila is one of the top 2 or 3 most dangerous large cities in the US, and NY doesn't even make the top 10.

As for sports; few people in the Poconos root for Philadelphia teams; but as you move father west into Lackawanna and Luzerne counties, where our local TV stations are based, the majority are Philly fans. On Poconos cable TV we get YES and SNY, the Yankees and Mets stations.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 AM

77 posts, read 115,896 times
There was an article about the census bureau's estimates for 2008. It said that Monroe County's population growth for 08 (less that a half percent) increased by the least amount in over 20 years, and Lackawanna's growth (also less than half percent) was thier biggest, and only, increase in like 60 years. So the question: Is this a temporary blip caused by the economy? Or is this the beginning of a tapering off point where the population of the area will stop growing and remain stable?

Also, to say that property values in the Pocono's has not gone down- that is totally wrong. Just look at the statistics. I know for a fact my house has lost 12,000 in value since last year, and most areas of the Pocono's has seen a decrease. Just ask any local realtor. Only Scranton and Wilkes Barre has seen an increase; and that's only because the values there were never inflated in the first place, since they didn't go up, they couldnt go down.

rcb1966 lives in Luzerne County, where property values have held up well, but that's just not the case in Monroe County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania