Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:48 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times

Advertisements

minor point but being underwater is not the same thing as washing out. the main former B&O tracks in Philadelphia are underwater a couple times per year but never wash out. according to fisheye, it sounds like the major bridge could be rebuilt as part of a highway project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
minor point but being underwater is not the same thing as washing out. the main former B&O tracks in Philadelphia are underwater a couple times per year but never wash out. according to fisheye, it sounds like the major bridge could be rebuilt as part of a highway project
Right now part of PA's I-80 is 3 lanes going west from Scotrun. Then it goes to 6 lanes 4 miles into NJ. PennDOT is currently planning to expand I-80 to 6 lanes - but only a section of the interstate in the middle of the, approximately 15 miles, of road between Scotrun and the four mile point in NJ. They will basically create two new bottle necks while restricting I-80 to one lane East and West bound during construction.

This will be a traffic nightmare for all that travel on I-80. Our secondary roads cannot take the traffic because they also need lane expansion.

The smart thing to do would to be to start on the end of the proposed six lanes, instead of in the middle. That way you don't create an unnecessary bottleneck. But PennDOT cannot start on the NJ side because of the same issues that the railroad faces - cooperation, support, EPA, and you name it. They could start on the Western edge and work towards NJ (which would be smarter). But then we still have this one lane construction mess to deal with. Many states acquired enough land for their interstates to widen them without problems. I-80 through the Stroudsburg are is very restrictive. We don't even have room to widen the shoulders of the road in some places. Ohio, with wide shoulders on it's interstates, allows lighter traffic to use the wide shoulder. Thus they can keep two lanes open during these highway renovations/expansions. PA cannot; at least through Stroudsburg.

I still feel that the corridor should be considered as one - not just the Interstate and not just the railroad. But that requires leaders and people with foresight and direction.

As far as comparing flooding. You have to keep in mind the distance water drops in elevation. The more drop; the faster the water flows and the greater the force it puts on railroad tracks and road beds. Many areas closer to the ocean do not have the currents created by elevation - the water rises and then recedes without taking dirt/road/tracks with it. I am just saying that it is hard to compare different areas. The Delaware River is approximately 290 feet above sea level in the Delaware Water Gap - that is about 275 higher than the river is as it flows under Route 30 in Philadelphia (about 15 feet above sea level).

PS I don't think there are any plans on the table to replace that viaduct four miles into NJ on I-80. It is a massive structure and should be replaced but it would be very costly and probably stop traffic for some time on I-80. Plus I am sure there are environmental problems as well as historical landmark and only God knows what else. The river and the mountain also restrict lane expansion or at least make it more expensive.

Last edited by fisheye; 10-14-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 03:34 PM

115 posts, read 161,689 times
Every now and again, it pops up....AGAIN...LOL

Grants keep Poconos to New York commuter train moving - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA

Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 PM

7,936 posts, read 7,287,495 times
Quote:
"Getting closer doesn’t mean that local residents will see a train in the next couple of years, however, after decades of proposals, discussions and setbacks, a passenger railroad is finally on the horizon."

No comment.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No comment.
Nothing? With a thread called forum lull i woulda thought this was a little spicier...

Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue0888 View Post
Nothing? With a thread called forum lull i woulda thought this was a little spicier...

Well, I think criminals from New York already come here by car, so I can't use that against the train

OK, how about this: Boy, that's the first time I've heard of Matt Cartwright since he got elected to Congress to "represent" the Poconos. But it could be worse -- he could've named a highway in Scranton after himself by now.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:45 PM

54 posts, read 60,611 times
Any word on Tocks Island Dam talks starting up again?

Old 07-01-2016, 06:55 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehaz1 View Post
Any word on Tocks Island Dam talks starting up again?
That is a very dead issue as far as I know. Just too many problems.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:28 AM

LOL yeah, the Tocks Island Dam will be completed any century now. Dignitaries will be arriving on the choo-choo for the ribbon cutting.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Well since i started this thread, might as well update it from time to time. This doesn't say much but it is from 12/19/2017

Lackawanna Cutoff project ready to roll? - New Jersey Herald -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania