Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 03:24 PM

22 posts, read 26,878 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at places on Zillow, and can't decide if Wilkes Barre is a good place to live or not. The schools have a rating of 2-3. One is the worst and 10 is best. My son goes to a public school now that is rated 9-10. He's in 8th grade, never been in a fight at school. We live in East Tx, and that's unheard of here. We don't usually lock our cars or house. It's very safe here, and most people are ridiculous friendly. I have to move to Wilkes Barre for a year at least. It's a long story but my husband has a dying relative that we need to help. I am all for helping, she's my mother in law, and I love her a lot. I've never lived away from East Tx, since I was 9 years old, I'm 42 now. Both of my parents are dead, they both died without any warning. So, I understand the need for my husband to be there for her last year of life(if that long). I'm just a little scared, and wondered if y'all had any info on any decent schools in that area. It needs to be close to Wilkes Barre, within 20 minutes away. The houses up there are really nice, but the basements are scary lol. No basements where I live either, even though it would be a great place to go during tornadoes. Also, it doesn't get real cold here until January. How long does winter last in PA? Is it true that you get used to the cold?i hate being cold! Love the snow, but the cold hurts my arthritis and RSD. Also, are there any pain management doctors in that area? Also need a dr who sees adults and teens for Attention Deficit Disorder(ADD).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 04:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Check out Mountain Top, PA. The schools from what I hear are decent and the general vibe of the area is family oriented. You'll still be fairly close to Wilkes-Barre to visit your relative and shop at the large shopping hub there.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:36 PM

335 posts, read 325,124 times
You are in a no win situation. First off, you made no mention of employment for you or your husband. That is square one. Second, people here are not friendly to outsiders unless you run across another outsider. Third, the winters for the most part are long, cold and damp. Fourth, you really need to learn to lock up anything you have of value. As far as pain management goes, there is such a epidemic of pill heads here, good luck finding a doctor that will prescribe the medication you are looking for. I can not help you as far as schools go, but houses in the Mt. Top will run you about $250K. and up. Forget the southern hospitality you are used to. And just for good measure, WB is just a city on the decline. Sure, a nice pocket here and there, but they are few and far between and getting smaller. I wish you luck.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 PM

�� this is bad news, really thought it was that way. We are going to rent, not buy. We are both on disability, but we can each make $1200 a month at a part time job. Some of the rents are cheaper than here in Texas. It's ok if people aren't friendly, it gets annoying lol. Thanks for the info

Old 10-17-2015, 10:11 PM

335 posts, read 325,124 times
Now that you made the employment picture a little clearer, this is the reality. The majority of workers in the area without a trade or field of expertise, generally are forced into going to a job placement office. The majority are looking for full time workers who will sell their souls for $9.00 per an hour at a crap job in a factory with no hope of being hired on. As far as part time work, I can honestly tell you that will be difficult. With out prying and being rude, rents in the area and the overall cost of living, you will be counting nickels and dimes for your time here. Hey, I'm no expert on finances or your personal situation, but based upon what you posted, $2400 a month and the things you are looking for just may be a little difficult. I respect you for doing what you feel is right, but just be prepared for some tuff times. I wish you all the best.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:12 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Our social security is $2600 a month, plus we can earn $2400 between us. I was looking at a house that's $550 a month rent. I don't understand why it would be hard to make it there. We pay more than that in Texas. We don't have a gas bill or water bill, though. We can stay with family, but that's never a good idea. My husband insists we leave on a certain date. And he goes between leaving without me, or no way he'd go without me because it would be like he's half a person without me. I never refused to go, but I like security. It's better to know everything before we get stuck up there in a freezing cold place. We don't know how much it costs for deposits on all the utilities either. I don't know why he can't fly up there and stay a little while, and come back. Is that horrible of me to say that? Wouldn't I give anything to spend time with either one of my parents- if I knew they were going to die soon? I'm going along, against my better judgement. It seems very rushed, and honestly it's fear of the unknown. I haven't told a few of my family members yet. I'm afraid to tell my step mother. She's alone since my dad died 5 years ago. She's going to think I've lost my mind! I bet she'll quote bible verses, or remind me of past mistakes. And what will I say back? Probably nothing. She usually makes good points, but also it hurts my feelings. I'm not in a rush to tell her. Is there anything nice about living there, besides the beautiful mountains and Dunkin Donuts coffee???

Old 10-18-2015, 05:03 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy1172 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Our social security is $2600 a month, plus we can earn $2400 between us. I was looking at a house that's $550 a month rent. I don't understand why it would be hard to make it there. We pay more than that in Texas. We don't have a gas bill or water bill, though. We can stay with family, but that's never a good idea. My husband insists we leave on a certain date. And he goes between leaving without me, or no way he'd go without me because it would be like he's half a person without me. I never refused to go, but I like security. It's better to know everything before we get stuck up there in a freezing cold place. We don't know how much it costs for deposits on all the utilities either. I don't know why he can't fly up there and stay a little while, and come back. Is that horrible of me to say that? Wouldn't I give anything to spend time with either one of my parents- if I knew they were going to die soon? I'm going along, against my better judgement. It seems very rushed, and honestly it's fear of the unknown. I haven't told a few of my family members yet. I'm afraid to tell my step mother. She's alone since my dad died 5 years ago. She's going to think I've lost my mind! I bet she'll quote bible verses, or remind me of past mistakes. And what will I say back? Probably nothing. She usually makes good points, but also it hurts my feelings. I'm not in a rush to tell her. Is there anything nice about living there, besides the beautiful mountains and Dunkin Donuts coffee???
They's a lotta nice things about livin' here. We gots 'lectricity, and some of us even gots indoor plumbing!

Sorry Mandy, but I don't think you'll be very happy here since you seem very reluctant. I'm sorry your husband's mom is failing but since he feels the need to be with her, you'll either have to come along with him or stay behind until he returns to Texas.

For some people, change is not easy. When I came here, I only knew that it was referred to as "upstate". I was looking forward to seeing how it was different from where I had lived previously. And I was never disappointed. And despite the fact that I could have returned "home" at any time, I'm still here.

There are dozens of small towns surrounding Wilkes-Barre and some are more expensive than others in terms of rents. Your income sounds like you could probably make it but that depends on your life-style.

Yes, it gets cold here. As I type this, it's 29 degrees. Sometimes, we've had snow on Hallowe'en. But on the other side, we've sometimes had Christmas in the 60s. You'll have to factor heating bills in your budget. Along about April, it starts to get warmer.

I raised five sons here and none of them got into "fights" at school. I currently have three grandchildren in school and they don't get into "fights" either. There are three others who managed to get through school without fighting who are now in college. (I don't think they fight there either)

I do have one question - Unless you're shipping your belongings here, you're going to be making a substantial investment in furniture and furnishings. Since your proposed tenure is roughly a year, would it make sense to buy the items you're going to require?

Now to the nitty-gritty - This house you're looking at for $550., to give you serious advice, we'd need to know exactly where in W-B it's located. Neighborhoods vary from street to street. It might be better if your husband came on and stayed with relatives while he scouts out a house in a safe area that you can afford with your income.

I hope I've answered some of your questions and made some helpful suggestions. I wish you well.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:59 AM

Thanks gypsy! Really nice of you to tell me that, it puts my mind at ease. I've always wanted to leave here, I thought. I was born overseas, my parents lived all over the world with no fear. It was cold here tonight at 49 degrees lol. But I do hate the summers! That house was in Ashley I think. There's a lot of extra cheap houses in Hazleton, but the schools seem too different. I looked up pain drs and found yoga and chiropractors- just about right! But, I'm sure people don't just chant their pain away. We are driving up there, crazy I know. It takes over 20 hours. Who knows, maybe I'll end up loving it there. Thanks again for telling me about your boys, and their experiences. Now I don't feel like we're going somewhere so foreign to how it is here- I'll have to get used to indoe(indoor) plumbing. Lol lol Why do y'all have to separate your trash?? What a pain! And you have to pay water, trash, and sewer separately? Weird! It's all together on one bill here. Gas heat sounds dangerous too, but so does oil. I wish my husband would do that- scope it out first. But, he won't. I have to be packed n ready by the first week in November. A lot of things will be stored here until- who knows when. It is easier to get warm, than to get cool, the weather will be a nice change. Thanks again for all your information. Take care.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:27 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Don't rely on Zillow for rental listings. They list a very small number of the available listings. You'll have to buy an internet subscription to the Times-Leader newspaper in order to find out what's available.

The boroughs comprising the Wyoming Valley West School District (across the river from Wilkes-Barre) are not bad places to live (Kingston, Luzerne, Forty Fort, Larksville, Edwardsville, Plymouth, Swoyersville, Courtdale and Pringle) and the school district itself though not the best is pretty good.

There are lots of available rentals in Wilkes-Barre, but if you have a child in school I would look elsewhere.

The best school district is Dallas Area, but rentals are few and expensive.

For the best comprehensive care, I recommend the Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center. Every specialty including pain manegement is available.

Good luck with your move.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Depends on your budget but with 20 minutes from Wilkes Barre leaves it wide open for many communities. Wilkes Barre is not super bad bit there is definitely neighborhoods there you want to avoid.

Quote:
Is it true that you get used to the cold?i hate being cold
Supposed to have high in the mid fifties today, it feels cold. It will be like summer when March rolls around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania