Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:20 PM

472 posts, read 779,053 times

Advertisements

I have recently decided to give back to my community. I signed up and went to my first neighborhood watch meeting last Monday. Though the group is small it seems like there are people that care. We are trying to put together a program to keep people informed of things going on in the community. We are also having a house hardening function to make people aware of the little things you can do to keep your property safe. There is a form that you can get at the public safty office to fill out that would allow public safty officers to check on your property. They would randomly go to your house and do a walk around to make sure everything seems to be in place.

I can only say you have to step up if you want to make a difference. I really feel the positive energy of people wanting to do the right thing and I am hoping the group can grow. I will go to my meetings and do a few patrols a week and if I see it I will report it. Any home owner interested in joining and making a difference please contact me. I would love to help you get involved. Also if anyone in the community needs help securing their properties I have some inexpensive ideas that have helped me feel very safe and secure in my home. (free service)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 03:40 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
we have a neighborhood watch in my 'hood here too.
kinda an informal one...that I belong to...
There is a Community one also...run by some PTA moms, anti-gun lobbyists, Master Gardeners, treehuggers, 'Barney Fifers' etc.

they have bi-weekly meetings, have 'Block Captains' by-laws,...some of us from the 'hood in my group are former Miltary/ LEO or both, any input we had put into the Community group was normally ignored or shouted down...

Soooo, we (8 of us) formed our own 'watch'

When any of us go on vacation, or away for a few days we notify the others...
In the last 6 years there has been 32 break-ins/robberies of cars or property, houses, garages, sheds, barns...

Not one successful break-in was ever accomplished on any of our houses or properties, but two arrests were made of perps attempting to do so...
Recently there has been 'feelers' sent out to our informal group to attend the local Neighborhood Watch meetings AGAIN to perhaps 'advise' them...

this change of heart has come about because 2 of the biggest Anti gun advocates have moved out of the 'hood...one in with her daughter and the other namby pamby,old Hippie 'artist,' Lothario was placed in assisted living by his fed- up kids. hahaha.

Good Luck Sarge..sounds like you have things in hand there and aren't facing the opposition what we guys and gal had to go up against...
don't know your background, but I'm assuming your are either former Law or Military.
It's an admirable thing that you are doing..hope your nabes realize your dedication and sacrifice of your personal time and expertise.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 11-09-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 04:04 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Keep in mind that if anyone from the community is doing the patrolling and causes harm to someone and the development is found liable there can be a big surprise for homeowners.

If any liability suite exceeds the limits of the developments insurance all homeowners are responsible for the overage.

We learned this when an attorney spoke at our hoa meeting after some kids were chased out on rtv's by our civilian patrol and one had a minor collision .

home owners insurance will not cover you because it is not an act caused by you or your household members.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:21 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Keep in mind that if anyone from the community is doing the patrolling and causes harm to someone and the development is found liable there can be a big surprise for homeowners.

If any liability suite exceeds the limits of the developments insurance all homeowners are responsible for the overage.

We learned this when an attorney spoke at our hoa meeting after some kids were chased out on rtv's by our civilian patrol and one had a minor collision .

home owners insurance will not cover you because it is not an act caused by you or your household members.
What a great country! We need more lawyers and insurance people.

That'll cut down on the crime

Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
so very sad...
BTW...thanks JZ for the 'props' :--))

Old 11-09-2015, 11:39 PM

472 posts, read 779,053 times
I keep a loaded shotgun in my house. The first 3 rounds are beanbag rounds, they are to keep the Bears away. The rest are slugs they are to keep intruders (people) from leaving my house breathing. God forgive me but if you enter my home uninvited the only way you leave, if I have it my way is in a bag. Many may not agree with me but if you enter my house to do wrong you have put your life in your hands. I can only assume you are here to harm me and my family you will not live to tell your side of the story. I pray God is good and will never have that oppurtunity arise. So if your a thief creeping around going into people's homes, good luck and may the force be with you. You might just need it if you creep into my house...☠��☠��☠

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-13-2015 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: removed the rant.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:17 AM

If you live in an hoa with civilian patrol call your insurer. When i called geico they confirmed it was true and they would not cover any liability claim. They did say some offer a rider you can get for hoa protection but they do not .

Keep in mind your liability insurance will not cover a civil suit if you shoot an intruder and it is found you are liable civily and not criminally.

Shooting someone in self defense is an intentional act not an accidental one and so liability policy's do not cover intentional acts either.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:31 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Firing a warning shot is a very bad idea.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:56 AM

very bad idea as well as criminal .

if the threat is not bad enough that you have to use deadly force immediately to halt it then you then you cannot introduce a deadly weapon as a threat . it is called brandishing and is a crime .

Old 11-13-2015, 08:49 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
very bad idea as well as criminal .

if the threat is not bad enough that you have to use deadly force immediately to halt it then you then you cannot introduce a deadly weapon as a threat . it is called brandishing and is a crime .
Only a person who doesn't know the law and doesn't know his or her way around a weapon would make that suggestion. Shoot, or don't. There is no discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania