U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Status: "I wandered, lonely as a cloud.." (set 14 days ago)

1,097 posts, read 386,268 times

Advertisements

Funny you should mention cannoli TG...
My T-shirt that I ordered last week arrived in the post yesterday.
It reads 'Leave the Gun...take the Cannoli.'

BTW Modesty is my middle name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 10:39 AM

2,014 posts, read 841,613 times
I'm glad others agree with the mediocrity of Coopers.

AlSo, no NEPA Italian restaurant should be listed, period. There is more to Italian cuisine than spaghetti, folks. If someone knows of a place that serves rustic Italian cuisine in NEPA, please tell me. Most of the places I know of just serve the same heavy red sauce and different shaped noodles.

I've noticed during recent visits that the local cuisine is improving, but I don't know that any one town or city in NEPA could be called a Restaurant City.

Not to mention the massive amount of chain restaurants. Speaking of mediocrity.

What the Fork food truck is impressive, though. They've managed to bring a national trend and mesh it with excellent, portable food.

I'm always looking for new places for when I visit the area. Sadly, my friends back home would prefer to go to Applebee's.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post

AlSo, no NEPA Italian restaurant should be listed, period. There is more to Italian cuisine than spaghetti, folks. If someone knows of a place that serves rustic Italian cuisine in NEPA, please tell me. Most of the places I know of just serve the same heavy red sauce and different shaped noodles.

Amen, my Sistah Clutterbuck...

I love NEPA but it is, as you say, totally devoid of anything that resembles true authentic Italian, especially Northern Italian cuisine .
If I want Ragu and overcooked 'pisghettis' I can go to my ex- wifes house.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:38 PM

16,623 posts, read 16,058,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
I'm glad others agree with the mediocrity of Coopers.

Not to mention the massive amount of chain restaurants. Speaking of mediocrity.

I'm always looking for new places for when I visit the area. Sadly, my friends back home would prefer to go to Applebee's.
They love their chain restaurants! Not everyone, of course, but sometimes it seems that way. Predictable and close to home often win.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Amen, my Sistah Clutterbuck...

I love NEPA but it is, as you say, totally devoid of anything that resembles true authentic Italian, especially Northern Italian cuisine .
If I want Ragu and overcooked 'pisghettis' I can go to my ex- wifes house.
Whenever I ask for tips for a good restaurant back home, and people say Colarusso's or Dino and Francesco's, I want to

Old 11-18-2015, 01:06 PM

5,547 posts, read 5,982,135 times
Never been to Applebee's or Olive Garden. Once to TGIF. The TGIF visit was fun because we (the cast of Tony and Tina's Wedding) went in character and the first server turned us over to a second server who couldn't get rid of us fast enough. The third server had a sense of humor and played right along with us. It wasn't for the food.

Quite a few years ago, there was a really good Italian place in Plains (PA) called Nonno Lini's. The kind of place you dressed up to dine. It was a tad pricey but you could count on everything being really good. (Kisses fingertips) Gone now but still fondly remembered.
Heard only good reports about Aurant's in Duryea. Some people like Patsel's.

Beside chains, there is also a devoted following of buffets. Doesn't matter if they're good or not. Most of them are out of business, with the exception of Chinese buffets that seem to have proliferated in the past 10 years.

I think it can be said that there is no Restaurant City in NEPA - only the occasional stand-out.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:16 PM

I agree that there's no restaurant city in NEPA. You'll find variety and some good food in the greater Wilkes-Barre, Scranton area.

Theatergypsy, there was another popular Italian restaurant on the west side. It was around for years, decades. I can't remember the name. Do you remember or know the name?

Old 11-18-2015, 04:42 PM

5,547 posts, read 5,982,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I agree that there's no restaurant city in NEPA. You'll find variety and some good food in the greater Wilkes-Barre, Scranton area.

Theatergypsy, there was another popular Italian restaurant on the west side. It was around for years, decades. I can't remember the name. Do you remember or know the name?
You might be thinking of Piledggi's in Kingston? It was off the beaten path but I had some very nice meals there.

Andy Perugino's in Luzerne is still open. I've never been comfortable there. I think it's just run-of-the-mill. I expect some flak about this as I know it has its devotees, but the opinions expressed here are my own.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:08 PM

TG...hope you don't mind me callin' you TG, TG...

was Nonno lini's on Farrell street in Plains?

My cuz lives on Gouge street, when she got married early 80's we went to a place that I vaguely remember sounding like that...
One of the owners name was 'Terry', she wasn't Italian...she was a down home Polish Woman.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 11-18-2015 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
You might be thinking of Piledggi's in Kingston? It was off the beaten path but I had some very nice meals there.

Andy Perugino's in Luzerne is still open. I've never been comfortable there. I think it's just run-of-the-mill. I expect some flak about this as I know it has its devotees, but the opinions expressed here are my own.
Thank you! I was thinking of Piledggi's. I'm surprised Perugino's is still open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania