Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:09 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times

Advertisements

Are we talking about pierogi again!!!!

I say...when Jungle George gets here...we have a pierogi party!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:21 AM

103 posts, read 361,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Hi Polaris!! Is it true what I read on the internet that they sold St. Joseph's Church & it's now somebody's private house???

I'm trying to find where my grandparents are buried (I think it's St Joe's Cemetary) so I can go to their graves when we're up there in December...AND get pierogi!!
Hi Jungle George! As far as I know St. Joe's Church is still a church. But I heard again that they want to close all the churches in 2009 except Holy Trinity there. I did hear St. Francis Church is closed. Heard it got hit by lightning and they didn't have the money to fix it.
St. Joe's Cemetery is the one in back of the 400 Club off of Prospect St. What are your Grandparents names? I am supposed to stop at that cemetery to look for my old neighbors grave and I can always look around for your Grandparents to. Gives me something to do now that I am retired!
Still have to drive by and see if Rentko's Pierogi is still open. But I really don't think they are.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:30 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Hi Jungle George! As far as I know St. Joe's Church is still a church. But I heard again that they want to close all the churches in 2009 except Holy Trinity there. I did hear St. Francis Church is closed. Heard it got hit by lightning and they didn't have the money to fix it.
St. Joe's Cemetery is the one in back of the 400 Club off of Prospect St. What are your Grandparents names? I am supposed to stop at that cemetery to look for my old neighbors grave and I can always look around for your Grandparents to. Gives me something to do now that I am retired!
Still have to drive by and see if Rentko's Pierogi is still open. But I really don't think they are.
Hi Polaris!! I'm trying to find where I saw that about St. Joe's, but can't find it now (of course!!)

Thank you for the offer of looking for my grandparents!! That's very nice of you!!

If you do go there, their names were Josef & Veronica Kollar, but ONLY if you're there looking around for your neighbor's grave!!

I am getting excited about our trip in December!! I'm hoping to have our plans finalized in another week or two!!

Here's 2 of the links I found for Nanticoke where I thought I saw that thing about St. Joe's....

Nanticoke City

A Blog of Nanticoke: General

Old 09-27-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Are we talking about pierogi again!!!!

I say...when Jungle George gets here...we have a pierogi party!!!!
LOL!!! Thanks for the thought I LOVE PA, but I don't know how many people would show being it's gonna be the week before Xmas!!!

Here's a link to listen to that brings to mind pierogi!!

Polka Jammer Network

Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
If you do go there, their names were Josef & Veronica Kollar, but ONLY if you're there looking around for your neighbor's grave!!
Oooops!! My grandfather's name was Edward not Josef...that was HIS dad's name....

Old 09-27-2008, 05:58 PM

103 posts, read 361,382 times
When I go to Nanticoke again I will definitely look up your grandparents graves. I know the Kollar family in Nanticoke! There are actually 2. One lives on Washington St. Len & Marcella. I was friends with their daughter GayleAnn. Len was originally from Shickshinny.
The other was Richard Kollar. He lived on my street, Grove. Sorry to say but he wasn't a very nice guy. Was a truck driver and very rude. We did not get along. Alot of people in Nanticoke had trouble with him. Hope you are not related to him!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
LOL!!! Thanks for the thought I LOVE PA, but I don't know how many people would show being it's gonna be the week before Xmas!!!

Here's a link to listen to that brings to mind pierogi!!

Polka Jammer Network
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells........Oh your getting me excited for Christmas.
As it is the threads now have the Christmas Trees on Wheels.........
Who would of thought CD would be promoting Christmas already.
Jungle George, Do you realize that you are going to see maybe snow, but ........of course a ton of lights and trees. Woooo Weee.......
Are you taking a tree home with you? or are you spending Christmas in the NE area? Boots, Boots, think Boots..........( portable shovel maybe)

Old 09-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
When I go to Nanticoke again I will definitely look up your grandparents graves. I know the Kollar family in Nanticoke! There are actually 2. One lives on Washington St. Len & Marcella. I was friends with their daughter GayleAnn. Len was originally from Shickshinny.
The other was Richard Kollar. He lived on my street, Grove. Sorry to say but he wasn't a very nice guy. Was a truck driver and very rude. We did not get along. Alot of people in Nanticoke had trouble with him. Hope you are not related to him!
Hi Polaris & thank you!! No, none of those Kollars are related to me. My family is all gone from the area except for 1 aunt in Breslau. She was the "baby" of the family & now she's around 86 & the last original Kollar left!!! I'm looking forward to seeing her, as the last time was when I was around 11 y/o!! (yep...QUITE a long time ago!!)

Old 09-27-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells........Oh your getting me excited for Christmas.
As it is the threads now have the Christmas Trees on Wheels.........
Who would of thought CD would be promoting Christmas already.
Jungle George, Do you realize that you are going to see maybe snow, but ........of course a ton of lights and trees. Woooo Weee.......
Are you taking a tree home with you? or are you spending Christmas in the NE area? Boots, Boots, think Boots..........( portable shovel maybe)
Yepper!! I might see snow again!! (we had a cold snap here in 2002 & it actually "snowed" a little here!!...it looked like some ash in the air & we thought they were burning the sugarcane fields!!)

My Xmas trip excitement level's starting to climb!! My partner's up in Long Island now...he flew up to see friends he hasn't seen in 20-30 years!!!

I know...boots boots boots... can't have wet & cold tootsies!!

No, we're not taking home a tree...we're stopping 1st at my friend Annie's in south Pa. for 2 days & to go to her Xmas concert (I just did a new blog of her music), then up to NEPA to see the area & visit my aunt, then up to Poughkeepsie NY to spend Xmas week with our friends up there (and go into Manhattan to see the Xmas stuff there & the old neighborhood), & then down to Long Island to spend New Year's with some other friends, & then the long trek home to get back to blue water & palm trees!!

It's gonna be quite a trip!!! I can't wait now!!

Last edited by Jungle George; 09-27-2008 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,097 times
Think I mentioned it earlier, but to just confirm...I visited my mom over the weekend and just HAD to have some real pierogi...so I put an order in to Barrets in Archbald and they did not let me down....smothered in butter and onions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania