Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:57 PM

169 posts, read 661,212 times

Advertisements

I live in a 1300 sq foot ranch with a partially finished (heated basement). Oil hotwater baseboard. We also use oil for our hotwater. We used 380 gallons so far since the beginning of November. I also keep the temp only on 62 overnight and turn it down to 60 for most of the day since noone is home during the weekdays. Basically I have it tuurned up to 68 between the hours of 3 pm - 9 pm and all weekend as well. We are going through approximately 110 gallons a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 6,344 times
Default Seems High...

Hi,
I also live in a ranch with a partially finished basement. My hot water is also off my furnace. Last year I used 592 gallons for the entire heating season.
I put my heat on almost exactly what you do. I turn it down to about 60 at night, and during the day when no one is home I put it on 58. When we are home I put it on 68.
I live in NH, so it is just as cold if not colder here than where you are.
You should have your oil company come out and clean it and they can tell you how efficient it is running.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM

43 posts, read 112,376 times
Default oil!

I can understand you pain! I live by myself and Oil is outrageous, but I am not spending 600 dollars a month. I order 100 gallons amonth to try to stay above a half a gallon. She seems like she is getting riped off. I would call the oil company and see whats going on. Maybe she needs a new furnace. Do you hear any sounds? Is the heat working? That happened to me it sounded like very loud screeching sounds. and heat stopped working in part of the house they found out the oil tank had holes in it. My mom would get buring eyes when she walked through the house. THank God they replaced it. I would check for the sake of your grandmother.

hope this helps

rachael

ohh and if she has montour oil don't go with them they charge the most. I am renting and moving out in aprtil so i am stuck with these people, but if she can don't stay with them!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,240 times
Im curious about what is the normal oil usgae per month for a levit home in wantagh? Like how many gallons of oil per month is normal

Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,240 times
And since this is the first time I am posting how do I know when someone answers my question

Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,705 times
You are in the Northeastern PA forum, responding to a thread from six years ago.
Maybe post in a Long Island thread?
I believe you can change settings to notify you by email when someone responds, but I have never done it so am not sure.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
I have a 2900 sqf 3 story 6 bedroom c.1890 Victorian brick house in Philly. Yes, I've been using $500 a month worth of oil this year ... up from about $400 a month last year because of the unusually cold temps. I keep the heat at only 60 from 10 AM - 5 PM, it goes up to 67 from 5 PM to 11 PM and then back down to 60 from 11 PM to 7AM.

Paying my oil bills this winter has caused my finances to be tight.

Be sure to "shop around" for best price ... the providers don't all charge the same.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I have a 2900 sqf 3 story 6 bedroom c.1890 Victorian brick house in Philly. Yes, I've been using $500 a month worth of oil this year ... up from about $400 a month last year because of the unusually cold temps. I keep the heat at only 60 from 10 AM - 5 PM, it goes up to 67 from 5 PM to 11 PM and then back down to 60 from 11 PM to 7AM.

Paying my oil bills this winter has caused my finances to be tight.

Be sure to "shop around" for best price ... the providers don't all charge the same.
Besides shopping around; ask for discounts! Some companies might give senior citizen discounts or discounts for paying in cash/check (mine does if I pay within ten days). Perhaps there is a company that gives a military or honorable discharge discount? Perhaps there are programs that can help the poor? Sure; it might be embarrassing to ask for discounts - but it is more embarrassing to find out that you were entitled to a discount and did not take it! My company gives senior citizens discounts and early payment discounts - but that does not mean that they are the cheapest.

I just figure that every dollar I save is one more dollar I don't have to work for!

And, yes, this has been a hard year and fuel oil is now at a premium.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I have a 2900 sqf 3 story 6 bedroom c.1890 Victorian brick house in Philly. Yes, I've been using $500 a month worth of oil this year ... up from about $400 a month last year ....
I'm spending about $2K per year and that includes hot water year round. About 2000 sq. ft. kept at 70, another 2000 sq. ft of garage space about 60ish and another 1400 foot of basement space about 60ish. I expect that to drop to about $1200 to $1500 within a year or two. It's a masonry house, we're adding insualtion and siding to the exterior and some of the space has not been fully weatherized and insulated. The heat in the garage and basement is not zoned right now and is just residual heat from the boiler and the pipes, once it is I'll be able to add the insulating jacket to the boiler and the pipes and control it better with lower temps.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 PM

33 posts, read 50,734 times
$750 / month right now for me. Unbelievable. The high price of oil coupled with the rediculously cold temps is taking a beating on my budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania