Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 03:06 PM

325 posts, read 580,093 times

Advertisements

will I be just kidding myself to move out of NJ to a border Pa. county to escape high property taxes? Are the Pa. property taxes shooting up at a high rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:42 PM

342 posts, read 793,992 times
Moved into my house in 2004. Taxes just about 3k a year. 2016 taxes just under 6k a year.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:51 PM

67 posts, read 131,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
The property taxes are not high at all. The school taxes are high. Most likely you will pay them combined as most people do. Comparatively speaking, they are cheaper then NJ and NY (metro areas). If you look down south, mid west then they are expensive. No one likes taxes, but as a father with 2 children in the public school system I know that my school tax is being put to good use. As a teacher, I know that I am giving my all for the people that are paying my salary. I also know that as soon as retirement comes I will no longer be paying such high school taxes
Property taxes in PA are very high, compared to northern Indiana where we live, for example. We pay $1800 a yr on a $190,000 home. That price home near Carbondale for example, (my cousin lives there so I asked her about it) would have a lot higher property taxes, than what we pay here. I am from PA so I am not trying to run the state down by any means.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:36 AM

325 posts, read 580,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Moved into my house in 2004. Taxes just about 3k a year. 2016 taxes just under 6k a year.
Sounds just like Sussex County NJ, where I live. Property taxes just keep going up with no end in sight.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:46 AM

105,720 posts, read 107,700,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
So I take it that Pa. property taxes are high, but not as astronomical as NJ. Do teachers in low tax states really make much less money?
for the most part , yes

Old 02-18-2016, 10:55 AM

342 posts, read 793,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
Property taxes in PA are very high, compared to northern Indiana where we live, for example. We pay $1800 a yr on a $190,000 home. That price home near Carbondale for example, (my cousin lives there so I asked her about it) would have a lot higher property taxes, than what we pay here. I am from PA so I am not trying to run the state down by any means.
I'm not sure the comparison between the two areas is justified. NEPA specifically Monroe county (East Stroudsburg area) is considered an micropolitan statistical extension of the NY/NJ metro area. So when taking into context, we have cheaper property/school taxes then our neighbors to the east. I am also unfamiliar with the Northern Indiana area enough to comment on it.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:18 PM

971 posts, read 1,444,346 times
Missouri state law is that counties are required to reassess properties every three years.

The school gets between 91 to 93% of my annual property & personal property taxes.

I taught 27 years, retired at $32,500 per year in 1995.

Wife taught 36 years, retired at $36,500 per year in 2000. Collected her teachers pension for 8 years before cancer took her.

My family has paid taxes in the same county for over 100 years, much of it on the same handed down property. No homestead clause here. Pay until you die.

My 2015 property & personal property taxes were $1852. & change. It drops a few cents a year since my two vehicles get a year older. lol

Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 PM

161 posts, read 260,489 times
Default Taxes are outrageous here- period.

Don't even consider moving to Monroe county. Run, as fast as you can from this area.

Taxes here are the HIGHEST in the entire country.

Yes- higher than NJ, NY, California, or anywhere else when based on property taxes being a percentage of the value of the home.

My house is valued by the county at $103,000. My taxes are $5000.

You do the math.

There is a reassessment coming starting at the end of this year. Our local senator, from his own lips last night on the news said people with older homes are gonna get really slammed.

They value your house based on square footage and property size. So they're going to come and measure my house- from the OUTSIDE- determine it's square footage, then look at my property size, to determine what my house is worth.

So for this decrepit 80 year old dump that should have been torn down two decades ago, I will likely wind up paying the same as someone with a nicer, newer house because they're both the same square footage.

So that $5000 I pay now could turn into $10,000 after the reassessment.

You want to move here? Really? Seriously? :-/

Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 PM

115 posts, read 161,671 times
WOW, way to De-value your own property as much as humanly possible.

Nothing is as great as it seems.....therefore nothing is as bad as people make it out to be.

YES YES We all hate taxes. blah blah blah

Old 02-19-2016, 01:48 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
Don't even consider moving to Monroe county. Run, as fast as you can from this area.

Taxes here are the HIGHEST in the entire country.

Yes- higher than NJ, NY, California, or anywhere else when based on property taxes being a percentage of the value of the home.

My house is valued by the county at $103,000. My taxes are $5000.

You do the math.

There is a reassessment coming starting at the end of this year. Our local senator, from his own lips last night on the news said people with older homes are gonna get really slammed.

They value your house based on square footage and property size. So they're going to come and measure my house- from the OUTSIDE- determine it's square footage, then look at my property size, to determine what my house is worth.

So for this decrepit 80 year old dump that should have been torn down two decades ago, I will likely wind up paying the same as someone with a nicer, newer house because they're both the same square footage.

So that $5000 I pay now could turn into $10,000 after the reassessment.

You want to move here? Really? Seriously? :-/

I think I have you beat. My house is valued at $85K and I am paying $8250 per year in school and property taxes.

To the op, do not even bother with Monroe County. The housing situation here is abyssal and only getting worse.

The school districts completely control the real estate market here and they have destroyed it for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania