U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,340 times
I wore myself ragged commuting from Lake Winola to Jersey City ,six days a week at times for five years.The reason I didn't stay in the city, was so I could be home every evening for my children.I had a really great foreman who would let me disappear early for the kids football games,wrestling matches and baseball games leaving at 2 pm(sometimes earlier) was a big help beating commuter traffic.Was it worth it? Money wise ,yes compared to the wages in this area and there was no way I was going to raise a family in the city.Sanity wise,no.My family is the most important thing and I stopped the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,391 times
Default scranton transport to nyc update???

I was just on here reading thru. i noticed the original post were in 2006. I was just checking if you knew of an update about train transportation from scranton to nyc. My wife is from the area and wants us to move there, i just worry about a good job. so i am seeing if commuting back and forth from Scranton to NYC could be worth it. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You're quite welcome. I'm just sorry that there truly aren't more mass transit options available for you as of yet. Basically, the whole idea of people commuting from Lackawanna County to work in New Jersey and New York is a brand new concept, and nobody really planned ahead for the need for transit to these areas. (Then again, none of our elected officials can seem to adequately plan ahead for anything)

The high-speed rail line between Scranton and Hoboken, NJ (with connections to Manhattan) WILL be a reality in the upcoming years though, as the number of people living in Monroe County (Stroudsburg area) and driving daily along I-80 into North Jersey and NYC has grown exponentially over the past decade and has congested I-80 so badly at rush-hour that officials now realize that this rail line is the only short-term option! Trust me, I've been through I-80 in Stroudsburg WESTBOUND into PA during the evening rush; it ain't a pretty sight by any means!

Some locals are worried that the new rail line will promote drug trafficking, but I feel as if those fears are largely unfounded; drugs are being funnelled NOW between NYC and Scranton, and they'll continue to be imported here with or without a train! As a 2009 college graduate looking to potentially live in Scranton and commute to work in Morristown, NJ, this train would be a Godsend! Otherwise, I'll be racking up the speeding tickets left and right on I-80 everyday! LOL!

P.S. A word of advice---the NJ cops patrol the first few miles of roadway after you leave PA VERY heavily; they like to hide and catch hurried PA commuters in speed traps. (Unethical perhaps, but it brings in the bacon for them!) LOL! During my last trip to Manhattan, our bus was even pulled over for speeding right at the border in Columbia, NJ!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM

510 posts, read 594,509 times
There is no update about train transportation from scranton to nyc. It never happened, and is unlikely to anytime soon.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM

2,835 posts, read 6,964,616 times
Recently I drove to the Middletown NY NJ Metro North Train Station, which is right off Rt 84 and too the train to Penn Station. Round trip was $24. It was a pleasant ride of about 110 minutes, changing once with no wait in Secaucus. I found it to be the most convenient way to get to NYC without driving right in to the city. Way cheaper than Martz Bus.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 PM

21 posts, read 37,857 times
I don't live in Scranton but I commuted for years to NYC from the Lehigh Valley working an overnight shift. My work schedule was 9PM to 7AM. I'd wake up at 5PM to shower and have lunch/dinner after having slept maybe four hours. Leave the house at 6PM to drive to the Bieber bus station and catch the 6:30 bus. Get to the Port Authority at about 8:30PM and walk across town (about a 20 minute walk) to Park Avenue to get to work at 9PM. That's a 3 hour commute! Same thing coming back home (6 hours a day). Get home at about 10:30AM, eat breakfast, play with my son, and go right to sleep. It was terrible, which is why I would much rather take a much lower paying job locally than make that commute as I now have two kids that I'd like to be around for.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM

11,266 posts, read 7,672,731 times
I just stumbled upon this thread after reading a NJ thread about why a rail line to scranton would be insane (from the perspective of NJ residents). I'd love to see the rail line go at least to Stroudsberg to help alleviate traffic on I-80, but stumbling on a thread that started in 2006 made me laugh about how that's probably not happening in the next 15-20 years. especially with the events that transpired between 2006-2014.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM

1,159 posts, read 574,301 times
Plus, PennDOT is going to widen I-80 in Stroudsburg adding a lane each way over the next "6 to 8 years".

Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 PM

430 posts, read 230,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Plus, PennDOT is going to widen I-80 in Stroudsburg adding a lane each way over the next "6 to 8 years".

ROFLMAO.....Like that wouldn't cause years of traffic tie ups that would make Chris Christie jealous.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 AM

11,266 posts, read 7,672,731 times
I-80 in that area is a complete nightmare. Especially with all the NY/NJ drivers coming back from the poconos who can't handle driving 55-60mph on that windy road.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 PM

114 posts, read 25,133 times
There has been talk of a train between the Poconos and NYC for many decades. I'd love to know which real estate agent pointed to the spot where this supposed station is going to be. Some people will do anything for a sale. There will never be a train between these two spots. It's never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania