U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:52 AM

12,141 posts, read 24,745,108 times

Advertisements

Per Admin rules, we can only have two stickies at the top of each forum. As you know, right now we have a chat thread and a picture thread. The picture thread is great, but not active. What would you think of replacing it with a sticky like this one that I created on the Lehigh Valley forum? Help for new and potential residents We can link the picture thread to it so it can be found, as well as any other threads that you all think have valuable information.

New- So, a year later, I'm finally adding a NEPA info page and I need your help. As you can see, I've put a sticky note for newbies where we can direct them to go and hopefully fill out the questionnaire. I've posted what I've created in the LV forum for new people and I'm going to attempt to fill in the same information for the NEPA area but I would like your help with links to threads that answer commonly asked questions or posts that you think were really on point, like taxes in Monroe county. Links are important. I put the photo thread on that post. The newbie sticky will be a closed one that only a moderator can edit. But I can move the information you give me here to that thread. Thanks for your help!

Please note that I cannot post links from competitor sites. I've done some guesswork, aka google search, to figure out some information like newspapers and transportation and school district boundaries but would like confirmation or correction if these aren't right or if there are more sites.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; Today at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 07:05 AM

1,388 posts, read 551,872 times
The preponderance of posts seems to be questions from people seeking info about moving to the area...so yeah, I think that it might be a valid idea.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 03-26-2016 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 07:09 AM

52,233 posts, read 54,459,000 times
the problem with a sticky picture thread is photo's end up in a useless pile pages and pages deep that no can find or reference . .

i never use photo sticky's . they actually hurt city data .

i have thousands of views via outsiders who google a place and my photo's in city data come up .

that brings traffic in that would never have found there way here .

i know i always google photos for places before we go . no photo's in a city data sticky ever come up .

Old 03-26-2016, 04:40 PM

14,141 posts, read 7,927,428 times
I agree.

relocation sticky and no photo sticky. photos can be put in the PA photo thread, assuming that's staying.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:25 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,395,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Per Admin rules, we can only have two stickies at the top of each forum. As you know, right now we have a chat thread and a picture thread. The picture thread is great, but not active. What would you think of replacing it with a sticky like this one that I created on the Lehigh Valley forum? Help for new and potential residents We can link the picture thread to it so it can be found, as well as any other threads that you all think have valuable information.

I'm sticking this at the top temporarily so we can talk about it for a week or so.
Sounds good.

Can you set an 'index' at the top that points to 'communities' which can be towns/cities, neighborhoods/developments, counties etc ... whatever works.

Many queries start with 'how is xxxtown', or xxx place, etc. (PCP is an example...Scranton and Wilkes Barre other obvious ones. Most towns (e.g. Clark Summit, Pittston, Carbondale), towns come up every once in a while...a continuous thread on each might work. General queries...Lackawanna, Monroe County can be indexed that way too.

NEPA is pretty broad for just topics (housing, taxes, schools, commuting, dining) to be the only view...but they can also be used without precluding the 'geographic' view as well.

I dunno...you know what is possible and practical with the data and tools ... maybe?

Old 03-28-2016, 05:51 AM

9,726 posts, read 8,271,267 times
I did not comment so far because I did not want to step on anybody's toes. I agree that the help for new and potential residents is a very useful tool and I have sent many to the Lehigh Valley sticky for help. It is also one of the most popular subjects on our local forum and I know that the new sticky would be of assistance.

However, on the subject of which thread should go; I hate to say. There are more views on the picture thread; but more replies to the chat thread. Of course that could be predicted. I just don't want to take sides and hurt anybody's feelings.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:13 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,395,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I did not comment so far because I did not want to step on anybody's toes. I agree that the help for new and potential residents is a very useful tool and I have sent many to the Lehigh Valley sticky for help. It is also one of the most popular subjects on our local forum and I know that the new sticky would be of assistance.

However, on the subject of which thread should go; I hate to say. There are more views on the picture thread; but more replies to the chat thread. Of course that could be predicted. I just don't want to take sides and hurt anybody's feelings.
I don't know who and how 'rules' are made. I am sorta surprised that by now this topic hasn't gotten addressed by others/all who manage similar sites. A common model would be great.

Maybe it's time to ask owner/decision makers to evaluate allowing more than two stickies. The three now under discussion would probably apply well to all similar forums and there are many. In fact maybe the 'perfect' model would work better with 4 or 5 or 6? (yes, that would probably push it too much for whatever reason there is resistance to multiple stickies...so maybe 3 is possible)?

(BTW Fisheye, I doubt there are many who's toes or feelings would be hurt. It's not life, it's an Internet forum. The objective is to share useful info to those in need...and of course allow expression of opinions too .) --- or is it?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:47 AM

1,388 posts, read 551,872 times
Couldn't give you rep again Jimazee, but well said.^

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 AM

9,726 posts, read 8,271,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
(BTW Fisheye, I doubt there are many who's toes or feelings would be hurt. It's not life, it's an Internet forum. The objective is to share useful info to those in need...and of course allow expression of opinions too .) --- or is it?

It is almost impossible not to step on somebody's toes. You cannot keep all of the people happy all of the time.

PS Good question about the three stickies. I always wondered that myself.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:13 AM

14,141 posts, read 7,927,428 times
I guess I don't think we need the NEPA photo sticky. There is one for all PA.

If there can be only 2, a moving-to-NEPA one I think would be preferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania