U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:13 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,196,322 times

Advertisements

I wasn't going to bother responding because I don't think the people looking for info are willing to fill out the questionnaire. Then I decided to check out the Lehigh Valley forum and the first three "looking to move to PA" posts that I looked at didn't use the sticky, and just jumped right in to ask what it's like to live in (_____________).

Personally, I don't see any benefit to the new sticky, but that's just my opinion. I will say that when a new pic is posted, I do take the time to check it out and most of them are worth seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 16,825,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I did not comment so far because I did not want to step on anybody's toes. I agree that the help for new and potential residents is a very useful tool and I have sent many to the Lehigh Valley sticky for help. It is also one of the most popular subjects on our local forum and I know that the new sticky would be of assistance.

However, on the subject of which thread should go; I hate to say. There are more views on the picture thread; but more replies to the chat thread. Of course that could be predicted. I just don't want to take sides and hurt anybody's feelings.
If the chat tread doesn't stay, I'll always be off topic. That happens often enough as it is.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 AM

13,938 posts, read 7,694,399 times
From the OP it sounds like the chat thread would be staying. The question is picture thread or moving-to thread.

The most recent photo was 3/7/before that, in Feb. It has rely turned into a chat thread anyway.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:12 AM

9,394 posts, read 7,980,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If the chat tread doesn't stay, I'll always be off topic. That happens often enough as it is.

There are slightly more 'views' (about 30,000) on the picture thread than there are on the chat thread. However, if we removed all of the 'chats' from the picture thread; I think that the chat thread would clearly be the most popular. I really did not want to 'choose' because of posters like PaHippo that that have spent so much time posting great pictures on the picture thread.

Sorry to hear of your problems with your shoulder. While you were discussing cake therapy; have you been doing the hot shower therapy? I know that always helps my shoulders. Even when I was passing kidney stones; hot water on my back was the only pain relief that I really had - it beat strong pain relievers. The only problem with the hot water treatment is that you eventually have to get out - or turn into a prune! Of course sometimes turning into a prune is the lesser of two evils!

Hope you and Theater have a speedy recovery!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
From the OP it sounds like the chat thread would be staying. The question is picture thread or moving-to thread.

The most recent photo was 3/7/before that, in Feb. It has rely turned into a chat thread anyway.

You have spent so much time on that thread I hated to side on the side of the chat thread. I feel guilty if the photo thread disappears and all of the photos are lost forever.

You have used Photo Bucket? Your library will still stay intact with that web site? I hope that is the case and we can still see some of your golden oldies on the chat thread if that is the way this all goes.

My condolences. I just feel bad.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:45 AM

13,938 posts, read 7,694,399 times
hey, fisheye, don't feel bad on my account. All my photos are on photobucket. Up to now they're all film. When I get them developed, they get put on a cd and then I load them onto PB.

I can always post them on the PA photo thread (I have some anyway-Bradford and Tioga Counties aren't really NEPA) or in the NEPA chat thread.

Appreciate your appreciation.

(is this off-topic?)

Old 03-29-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
(is this off-topic?)

I don't think it is off topic to talk about material (in this case pictures) that we will not see again in the photo thread.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:35 AM

12,069 posts, read 24,379,697 times
The photo thread would still be linked to the information thread so people could still find it. We could also do an index of threads by towns or popular subjects if that's something that's wanted. For instance in the Philly forum, I recently stuck in a link for the Mega Cheese-Steak thread, a subject that annoys the regulars and brings up great debate.

In the Philly forum, there's a lot more activity and the regular posters will pretty much always direct newbies to fill out the sticky form. In the Lehigh Valley forum, there are fewer inquiries and fewer respondents so it doesn't matter as much. Here' are the stickies on the Philly forum, the second one has the questionnaire: General Pointers About Living In Philadelphia - You'll see the top one is more of a chat thread.

Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information.

Something important that you may notice is the info sticky is a closed one, meaning only the mod can add to it. While creating the thread for the NEPA one, we could have a thread about content, but I'd prefer to keep the actual sticky thread closed so it's easy to read and doesn't de-volve to another chat thread.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 AM

Thanks TBT!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:58 AM

2,344 posts, read 2,340,705 times
I think I'm going to get a headache soon ... but since I've been in situations like this often, I'll add a thought or two. Many times the 'reason' for such restrictions might include:
  • Technical limitations/capacity/performance/cost concerns of some kind (in this case probably not)
  • "manageability" concerns where the stickies require closer/more attention by monitors
  • owners desire to have more/less of something or other to 'improve' their perception of requirements or value of the system/forum/process (more ads, more interesting, more participants...whatever
  • complexity in defining a model that works...especially when starting a system like this (what way will it 'evolve'/change...then the requirements change but to redo it is a huge effort).
  • often it's a situation based on something that has changed...i.e. the reason is no longer valid/concern
  • often people will say "gee I don't know that's' the way we've always done it..."
anyway, we'll see

(I'd be curious how the other (many C-D geo based fora handle this... a survey of the specific fora owners would be interesting?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania