U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:37 AM

12,069 posts, read 24,379,697 times

Advertisements

How about if we talk about links that would be good in an information sticky.

I can copy and paste the Lehigh valley one and then delete any that have no NEPA relevance.

We can post links to threads that come up over and over like - best way to get to NYC,

Links to threads about towns like this one about Stroudsburg: Thinking of relocating to Stroudsburg from Long Island.

Thoughts?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 11:20 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,196,322 times
I've noted that most of the inquiries come from first-time posters. Often, they show up, jump in with both feet, and sometimes, never return.

I don't want to be a negative Nellie but that's my perception. I sincerely wish that it would encourage newcomers to give more specific information but a.) I don't think all of them would read the sticky, and b.) most of them would, I think, be reluctant to reveal much about themselves, since all they want to know is "how safe is APCP?"

It really doesn't matter to me if the picture thread isn't at the top of the Chat thread. It also doesn't matter to me if there is a sticky questionnaire. I'll find my way around in here.

I do think it's nice to be asked what I think. Most people don't give a rodent's derriere what I think. Sometimes, I don't even care what I think.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:41 AM

1,266 posts, read 473,704 times
Could we have a rodent derrière sticky on the top?

or perhaps on the bottom?

yeah, yeah...that's the ticket...on the bottom.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 16,825,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There are slightly more 'views' (about 30,000) on the picture thread than there are on the chat thread. However, if we removed all of the 'chats' from the picture thread; I think that the chat thread would clearly be the most popular. I really did not want to 'choose' because of posters like PaHippo that that have spent so much time posting great pictures on the picture thread.

Sorry to hear of your problems with your shoulder. While you were discussing cake therapy; have you been doing the hot shower therapy? I know that always helps my shoulders. Even when I was passing kidney stones; hot water on my back was the only pain relief that I really had - it beat strong pain relievers. The only problem with the hot water treatment is that you eventually have to get out - or turn into a prune! Of course sometimes turning into a prune is the lesser of two evils!

Hope you and Theater have a speedy recovery!
I really like the photo thread, but as long as I can still find the pictures, I'll be happy. That chat in the photo thread...um...er, I started that mess.

One of the problems with the hot showers is that I have to take off my shirt. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I don't have nearly enough button up shirts.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 473,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I really like the photo thread, but as long as I can still find the pictures, I'll be happy. That chat in the photo thread...um...er, I started that mess.
It was/is a good mess.

This stale ol' pot of gruel needs stirring from time to time...

And you, Buttercup, are just the gal to do it.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:11 PM

9,394 posts, read 7,980,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

One of the problems with the hot showers is that I have to take off my shirt. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I don't have nearly enough button up shirts.

Join one of those local 'naturalist' camps and you won't have to worry about taking off your shirt! In the meantime here is one of my Wife's favorite stores: Women's Oxford & Button Down Shirts | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 16,825,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
It was/is a good mess.

This stale ol' pot of gruel needs stirring from time to time...

And you, Buttercup, are just the gal to do it.
Buttercup. I like that. :::batting eyelashes:::

I agree with theatergypsy. Not everyone will read the sticky, and not everyone will use it. Where am I coming from? Why do you want to know? Why am I moving? None of your business.

Fine with me if you put it up there.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 PM

2,344 posts, read 2,340,705 times
If the sticky can be structured well enough, some folks will find it on their way in to the forum. Others who ignore it, can be directed there soon after they show up. Together it can result in fewer redundant and content free inquiries, and also if appropriate questions/responses are added to the thread(s)? the 'database' can grow in a more organized way. This can help posters, responders, moderators in the long run.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:32 PM

12,069 posts, read 24,379,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
If the sticky can be structured well enough, some folks will find it on their way in to the forum. Others who ignore it, can be directed there soon after they show up. Together it can result in fewer redundant and content free inquiries, and also if appropriate questions/responses are added to the thread(s)? the 'database' can grow in a more organized way. This can help posters, responders, moderators in the long run.
Exactly. Just like you can ask people to stay on topic - some do, and some talk about where their wives buy shirts.

It's an easy way for a newbie to get the basic info and regular posters to not feel they have to say over and over why a commute to NYC from NEPA is some level of hell. Instead we can suggest they read the "Commuting to NYC from NEPA" mega thread that would be posted in the stickie.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 7,980,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Exactly. Just like you can ask people to stay on topic - some do, and some talk about where their wives buy shirts.

I wonder who that was?

How about bus/train schedules and rates? Fuel prices in PA and NJ. Or estimated driving times on different days and times from PA to NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania