U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:10 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,091,166 times

Advertisements

Old 02-14-2008, 02:50 PM

3,756 posts, read 5,918,016 times
When the student is ready............the teacher will appear. Last said on this.........it's like a Soap Opera. Now, back to NEPA.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
HAT..........Please lets not have a " who got knocked around more" contest...... Its all to funny.......but.......the thread is PEP talk......
Give me a P.........and E........and a P.......LOL

Plus.........Where is the OP?
Summ,

Never said it was a "contest" - just pointing out that we all have our crosses to bear, but it how we deal with them that matters. I think Paul has got some great advice and now it is up to him to make his choices.

Hat

Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,513,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Live for today, tomorrow isn't promised. I know so many people that say I have 3 years, 2 days and 15 hours before I retire. They let the world go by them and sometimes never have the opportunity to live for retirement. 90 percent of life is how we handle what comes our way. It's all in the tude!

Hat
you are right..it's attitude and how you deal with things in life. I also remember people saying, I got 3 years and this many days to retire, thats great but in the meantime you still have to live your life. Live for the moment, but also plan for tommorrow.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
you are right..it's attitude and how you deal with things in life. I also remember people saying, I got 3 years and this many days to retire, thats great but in the meantime you still have to live your life. Live for the moment, but also plan for tommorrow.
Good for you Co,
You have the right attitude and know how to enjoy life. That is what it is all about. Good advice.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,943,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Summ,

Never said it was a "contest" - just pointing out that we all have our crosses to bear, but it how we deal with them that matters. I think Paul has got some great advice and now it is up to him to make his choices.

Hat
Hat........You missed my humor

Old 02-14-2008, 07:01 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,373,425 times
Well I feel like the last 'regular' here to say something.
After reading everything...I agree with a lot of this advice.
Medication is something to consider.
Inability to seek and feel happiness....you have an awful lot to be happy about. If the negative is outweighing it...it might be time for medication.
The things that happened to you on this awful day are trivial in the scheme of big things...like death, cancer, oh...the list goes on...
It has NOTHING to do with the area. Having lived in NY for most of my life...trust me...there are a lot more happy people here than in many other places and a lot less to complain about in general.
Your day at work...you only mention the people complaining about their salt....weren't there any other people buying other things?
People not shoveling...put some ice cleats on your shoes and don't loose another minute of agravation over something like this. Life is too short.

And I do think this is where this thread belongs...Paul knows us and we know him. You have to understand who he is to offer any helpful suggestions. And he thinks these things are about the area in which he lives, which they are not. Maybe it is a case of SAD. (That seasonal disorder)

Paul...where are you??? Are you listening?? Or are you searching the net for an outrageous place to go for Spring Break?

Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,250,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Well Paul you were craving attention after your week of self-reflection and I guess you got it. I guess this wouldn't really be about NEPA as much as its about you!
What is your problem, Dan? You make just about EVERY thread about Scranton your own personal little anti-Doherty/anti-council soapbox, so this is the pot calling the kettle black, is it not? You cry for attention incessantly in those threads. Nobody likes reading your soapbox rants about how "awful" conditions are in the city any more than they like reading about a 21-year-old going off the rails on the crazy train. Get over yourself.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-14-2008 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Well I feel like the last 'regular' here to say something.
After reading everything...I agree with a lot of this advice.
Medication is something to consider.
Inability to seek and feel happiness....you have an awful lot to be happy about. If the negative is outweighing it...it might be time for medication.
The things that happened to you on this awful day are trivial in the scheme of big things...like death, cancer, oh...the list goes on...
It has NOTHING to do with the area. Having lived in NY for most of my life...trust me...there are a lot more happy people here than in many other places and a lot less to complain about in general.
Your day at work...you only mention the people complaining about their salt....weren't there any other people buying other things?
People not shoveling...put some ice cleats on your shoes and don't loose another minute of agravation over something like this. Life is too short.

And I do think this is where this thread belongs...Paul knows us and we know him. You have to understand who he is to offer any helpful suggestions. And he thinks these things are about the area in which he lives, which they are not. Maybe it is a case of SAD. (That seasonal disorder)

Paul...where are you??? Are you listening?? Or are you searching the net for an outrageous place to go for Spring Break?
I'm here. I had class today 8-1:30 and then work 2-10:30, so I don't have as much time to head online as I used to.

I really don't want to turn to medication. It seems like I'm one of the few peers that I'm aware of who isn't on some sort of anti-depressant, and I don't want to simply contribute towards that trend. Why Generations X and Y are becoming so depressed is beyond me, but I do see a lot of my peers trying valiantly to buck themselves up and hide their depression. I suppose there's just not a whole lot to look forward to nationally anymore for we youngsters---an impending recession, a drying-up social security trust fund, a volatile housing market, reports of tighter hiring in the coming months, a never-ending mistake of a war in Iraq with a president who is bullying other nations as well, seeing people like Ann Coulter become the "role model" of America, etc. There's just not a whole lot to put a smile onto my face anymore or many others for that matter either.

I haven't taken a vacation since mid-2006, so perhaps it is nearing time for me to take a break. I've always wanted to visit Chicago, and it might perk me up to experience the skyline, lights, and nightlife of the "big city" (besides Scranton of course). In my own professional opinion I probably am manic depressive, as I can go from being happy and optimistic one moment to feeling despondent and suicidal the next, but drugging myself up would probably just make me feel even more inadequate and depress me even more.

A part of my depression also stems from the fact that I feel like I'm "failing" as a partner. My better half now lives in Bushkill, and the 60-mile drive from Wilkes-Barre up I-81, down I-380, out I-84, down Route 402, down Bushkill Falls Road, and then down the mile-long dirt road to his home is hellish and impossible to do when you're working 35 hours per week while attending school full-time and serving as a treasurer. Whenever we speak he sounds depressed, and I can't help but feel "guilty" for not being there to perk him up, which only depresses myself even more also.

I don't know. It's just unusual for me right now because I'm going through such a very long stretch of depression. Usually just one night of praying, venting, and reflection is enough of a catharsis to lift my spirits, but I've been depressed now quite literally since I was banned last week and started to reflect more upon my own shortcomings. I can't remember the last time I was so miserable for so long, and I don't feel any rebound coming anytime soon. It wasn't easy tonight either to sit down in the break room and hear a few co-workers saying how much they "hated" living in NEPA and hoped their children would leave so they'd have an excuse to move. It only strengthened my belief that I made a heinous mistake by being one of the only ones from my graduating class to actually STAY here instead of moving on in order to better myself. Do I really want to turn into someone as unhappy about everything as Dan seems to be when I'm in my mid-30s?

Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The more I think about it a "Pep Talk" thread for one individuals hurt feelings in life really is not on topic for the sticky thread or the sub form. Is there a therapy forum? Ask Dr. City-data?
I suggested both a Therapy Forum and an LGBT Issues Forum before last week in order to declutter many forums from having threads about mental wellness and/or civil rights, but as usual nobody seems to care about what I have to say. Apparently a "video games" forum was more important in most people's eyes, but I digress.

Is your incessant personal political vendetta to unseat Doherty, Gatelli, Fannucci, and McGoff simply because you disagree with them on certain issues also official NEPA business? I think not. With all of these bitter, angry replies against me about my ONE THREAD you sound like a small child who didn't get a piece of birthday cake. Don't worry, Dan, you'll still be getting PLENTY of attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania