Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I must be looking somewhere else because when i read the paper or turn on the news and see that there has been a drug bust, it's usually people from the NY/Philly area. I hardly call that "good variety"
Here we go again with generalizing people from NY,NJ and philly. I am from NY
recently retired law enforcement for 20 years and have a home in clarks summit since 2006. My family and I have moved out here for a better quality of life, lower cost of living, my daughter will be attending Kings college in the fall,Also when I came out here about 10 of my fellow officers moved to NEPA
even as far as Montrose,all being productive,paying taxes,donating money to firehouses and animal shelters,opening stores, on the board of community, etc. You make it sound like crime didn't exist until the city folk came, the locals are doing a good enough job with crimes, these drug dealers would not even have come up this way if there wasn't a supply and demand from local folk..and that's a fact. All the people I know that moved out to PA from NY and NJ are good people,and there are alot of them, they are buying homes and putting money into the community, so I get really annoyed when these general statements are made, You are putting people down for doing better
alot of people even commute into NY to work VIA martz bus lines, whats wrong with that? I really resent those remarks about NY,NJ,PHILLY people
on the news and doing crimes all the time, thats like saying all the locals are .....I don't even want to get started because I would be generalizing

Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Yes, Dorothy, I agree with you. When you are used to working for things, you do not take anything for granted and the built in motivation is a valuable tool in all areas of your life. It's very hard with a 3 year old running around the house, but I look at it as a sacrifice that will benefit everyone once I am finished. Thanks for sharing. Hats off to you!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 PM

43 posts, read 112,347 times
Default reply

You can ask any questions you want. There are plenty of jobs, my field is psychology( i can work anywhere), but in this area of nepa.. they will give you a job for a small amount of money . I have a social work job right now and would be hired full time if i wasnt about to move. In the Tidewater area of virginia i can do the same work thati could do here for much more money. They are paying 40,000 for CY workers verses the 19,000 they are payinghere. I knew that the jobs were like this in this area. With a psyc degree you must go on for futher education. I start my masters degree august 22 in Va beach!

I have not seen alot of good come from this area. I have many bad memories and seeing the lack of jobs drives me crazy. I am moving and very excited to get out of here!!!!!! I do have some family members in this area who are very wealthy and doing good, but hate this area to and said if anything happens they will be moving either down south or out west to az. I lost my pride for this area when i have to deal with drug dealears out on the street at public square or the prosititues. I come down my stairs in the commissioners building and see pirated videos being sold from men off the street. My friend also had a frighting experience in the parking areas in downtown. I cannot tell you how many discusting things i have seen.. such as **** on the sidewalks or condoms i have to step over laying on the ground. I also have fallen on those stupid sidewalks becuase of the way there so warn. So my degree has many jobs, but in this area they are hardly any money. My current job would only start me out at 20,000 dollars a year.. and i want to be able to make more i need to to pay off current loans and grad school.

thanks

rachael

Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Am I missing something? Can someone please point out to me where I implied that I was ageist because if that was implied anywhere within my reply, I most certainly had not intended for it to be taken in that context. I never implied that "only" young people should go to college. On the contrary I'd encourage those in the existing workforce to feel welcome to go to places like ITT Tech, Allied, McCann, Empire, LCCC, King's, Marywood, Misericordia, etc., all of which offer very good programs for adult learners, in order to better specialize themselves and hone the skills needed to make themselves more marketable to employers.

Seriously, KittensPurr, I don't quite know what in particular you were reading into my last reply, but I can assure you that being "ageist" is not in my vocabulary. Trust me, as someone who has to endure hurtful comments from the locals all the time for being of an alternative sexual orientation, I of all people should be careful to not single out a single group for discrimination. Ironically I just completed a paper earlier this morning for my Business Law class on the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) of 1967, which strictly prohibits employers from discriminating against those aged 40 or over. In my paper I included a personal vignette about how some in my own family have been the victims of ageism in our area and how I can also personally relate to their strife due to my own dealings with the hatred around here.

It's actually the adult learners who should be lauded the most for managing to struggle to raise a family, hold down a part-time job, and attend night classes. I never implied anything to the contrary.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilangelbaby0099 View Post

I lost my pride for this area when i have to deal with drug dealears out on the street at public square or the prosititues. I come down my stairs in the commissioners building and see pirated videos being sold from men off the street.
If you don't think you'll find those things in the Virginia Beach area, you're in for a rude awakening. News flash: drugs are everywhere, and most areas have bigger crime problems than NE PA. Wilkes-Barre is probably the worst spot in NE PA for crime, and Wilkes-Barre is still like "Leave it to Beaver" compared to most cities.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 PM

43 posts, read 112,347 times
I know i will find these things down in va. I know that, I guess i just really hate this area for many personal reasons which i will not getinto on this site.My husbands family has been living in the chesapeake virginia for many many many years. The still don't lock their doors or cars at night. The place that i will be living and attending school is way outside of the city. I will be close but in the country or even moyock n.c. My husband loves his area moved away once and came to this nepa and hated it so much. My own mother and grandmother are looking to move. I think i will start something in my family, they all want to move. Living in nepa has not been good for me or my family and i am anxious to graduate school so i can leave this area behind and only come back to see my family and than leave again. I have spoken tomany people who love the places i will be going to. I am very excited, It will be hard and yes there is more crime, but it all depends on where you live and things like that.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
I have noticed a reduction in the amount of positive posts on this board. Maybe it's the economy, maybe it's just left over angst from a grandfathers' misfortune. No matter what the reason life is too short to go around complaining and depressed.

Running will not solve anything and for the 100th time, the valley is no where near as dangerous as most of the other major cities in America.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Here we go again with generalizing people from NY,NJ and philly. I am from NY
recently retired law enforcement for 20 years and have a home in clarks summit since 2006. My family and I have moved out here for a better quality of life, lower cost of living, my daughter will be attending Kings college in the fall,Also when I came out here about 10 of my fellow officers moved to NEPA
even as far as Montrose,all being productive,paying taxes,donating money to firehouses and animal shelters,opening stores, on the board of community, etc. You make it sound like crime didn't exist until the city folk came, the locals are doing a good enough job with crimes, these drug dealers would not even have come up this way if there wasn't a supply and demand from local folk..and that's a fact. All the people I know that moved out to PA from NY and NJ are good people,and there are alot of them, they are buying homes and putting money into the community, so I get really annoyed when these general statements are made, You are putting people down for doing better
alot of people even commute into NY to work VIA martz bus lines, whats wrong with that? I really resent those remarks about NY,NJ,PHILLY people
on the news and doing crimes all the time, thats like saying all the locals are .....I don't even want to get started because I would be generalizing
I agree completely with you. We migrants are filling a void left by people leaving the area. Without us this area would truly become a ghetto. There would be less tax dollars coming in to help revitalization efforts and only the druggies would remain. These lowlifes working only through the illegal sale of drugs and not paying taxes would further undermine the efforts of our Mayors to rebuild the inner cities.

Migrants are keeping the area from truly becoming another Detroit.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:21 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I agree completely with you. We migrants are filling a void left by people leaving the area. Without us this area would truly become a ghetto. There would be less tax dollars coming in to help revitalization efforts and only the druggies would remain. These lowlifes working only through the illegal sale of drugs and not paying taxes would further undermine the efforts of our Mayors to rebuild the inner cities.

Migrants are keeping the area from truly becoming another Detroit.
Thank you, thats what I have been trying to say on this forum all along.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I have noticed a reduction in the amount of positive posts on this board. Maybe it's the economy, maybe it's just left over angst from a grandfathers' misfortune. No matter what the reason life is too short to go around complaining and depressed.

Running will not solve anything and for the 100th time, the valley is no where near as dangerous as most of the other major cities in America.
Better that we put our heads in the sand and go along with the status quo? Its done so well for us up to this point right.

No offense but how long have you lived in NEPA? This area might be better than wherever you came here from but, guess what OUR mayor is not doing a good job.
Scranton is not a total loss but, if we don't get a change in city hall soon there isn't going to be enough money left to pay for postage stamps. I appreciate your feelings for the area but since you don't live in Scranton please don't tell me how great it is or how good of a job my mayor is doing.

The NJ/NY crowd does like generalizations and I could see that. In the same respect how do you feel that the residents of WB and Scranton look upon you moving here and telling them how they should be feeling or acting about their respective cities when they have been here for their whole life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania