Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 04:54 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,110,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I'm done arguing with you. I didn't list the places that I lived because I didn't feel that the list was important. If you want to know PA, NJ, MD, UT, CO, St. Thomas, Cat Island (Bahamas), England, Switzerland, Israel and sometime in Pompano Beach Fl.. I have traveled in France, Italy, Egypt, Jordan, Ireland, Turks and Caicos. I have been around and have decided that this is where I need to be right now and my wife, son and I all love it here. We can agree to disagree on everything else thats fine with me.
AMEN!

Old 02-22-2008, 04:57 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Paul listen this is or was a conversation between me and Coartist and we were doing fine without your long winded rants. I know for a fact that I no longer read your rants so whatever you said thats fine with me. I would have thought that maybe you learned something from Kittenspurr but obviously you just go on and on and on and on.............................

The drama is getting old and your youth is becoming annoying. Like I said when you have actually accomplished or should I say done something other then live at home under moms roof while you goto college then your opinion of the world and life would have some substance but until then they are the ramblings of a angry young man thats has nothing to base his opinion on but some stats from the net.
You don't think your anti-city rants don't irk people either? It's depressing that anything and everything that I try to post in order to boost the city's image gets spun around 180-degrees into having some sort of anti-Doherty slant to it. I didn't ask you to "chime in" with my argument with KittensPurr either, yet you still did, so don't tell me that I can't chime in to defend my bud coartist88. Whether he has lived here for 1 year or 100 years shouldn't make any difference in his ability to express his opinions. I, for one, think it's REFRESHING to see someone else who is NOT a miserable person in our area. When you work in retail you encounter miserable people all day, so it's nice to see that perhaps there are indeed one or two people on this forum who are as upbeat on life as coartist88!

What was I supposed to learn from KittensPurr? That I'm a condascending pr*ck? I'm well aware of the fact that a lot of people think I talk down to them (which I don't try to do), so I didn't learn anything there. Was she trying to tell me to watch my words more carefully from now onward? I still truly haven't been able to decode what she has been trying to teach me, and I'll remain skeptical until I figure it out.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:58 PM

10 posts, read 22,484 times
weluvpa do you make $9 and hr and pay $1265.00 mortgage ????? you must luv Pa because you make a salary that you can afford to live here....and pay the high taxes and we making $9 an hr pay the same taxes as you....???? living all around the world sounds like you have a big govt paying job for doing nothing I scrub floors for my $9

Old 02-22-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandpenny View Post
weluvpa do you make $9 and hr and pay $1265.00 mortgage ????? you must luv Pa because you make a salary that you can afford to live here....and pay the high taxes and we making $9 an hr pay the same taxes as you....???? living all around the world sounds like you have a big govt paying job for doing nothing I scrub floors for my $9
Why is it the fault of the area that you scrub floors for a living for $9/hr.? You could just as easily have the same position in another metropolitan area as well, could you not? The difference? In most other areas you would be unable to survive on $9/hr. Here you can. Furthermore, if you're paying a mortgage of $1,265/month, then something doesn't add up. $1,265 x 12 = $15,180 annual mortgage payments. $9 x 40 x 52 = $18,720. There's no way you spend 81% of your gross income on your mortgage. If you do, then what's stopping you from renting a 1-bedroom apartment for $400/month? When your income declines sometimes you must correspondingly downsize. If we are to assume that you have a 15-year mortgage, then you are paying $15,180 x 15 years for a total of $227,700. What is someone who earns $9/hr. doing living in a home that costs over $200,000? My own parents earn $70,000 combined, and we live in a home we bought for $110,000 or so in 1996 that has now appreciated in value to around $200,000. As a general rule of thumb you should NEVER spend more than 1/3 of your income on housing expenditures. In this sense let's assume you earn $15,000 net annually, which means you can comfortably afford a home up to $45,000 (perhaps a mobile home or a half-duplex), or rent payments.

Don't bash the area simply because you're not spending within your means.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM

alexia wrote my story better than I could thank you We can't sell our house because it's $112,000 The rich pay $200 _ $600 and the poor here pay $56 - $76 our house is not selling because of that reason We have only had it 4 yrs and had to refinance this yr and have no equity yet.....If it doesn't sell by this fall we are thinking of letting it forclose and suffering the consequences just to get away from these taxes... We figure we can make $9 an hr anywhere and if we rent we won't have to pay the school board or gov's salary. would you believe we even pay $52.00 a yr out of our first payck called right to work in Pa taxes???? isn't that a joke we are paying the state to work here????

Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
alexia wrote my story better than I could thank you We can't sell our house because it's $112,000 The rich pay $200 _ $600 and the poor here pay $56 - $76 our house is not selling because of that reason We have only had it 4 yrs and had to refinance this yr and have no equity yet.....If it doesn't sell by this fall we are thinking of letting it forclose and suffering the consequences just to get away from these taxes... We figure we can make $9 an hr anywhere and if we rent we won't have to pay the school board or gov's salary. would you believe we even pay $52.00 a yr out of our first payck called right to work in Pa taxes???? isn't that a joke we are paying the state to work here????
The $52 tax is the biggest joke we have in this state. I paid it to Wilkes-Barre Township, and in return for it they completely ignored tending to the needs of their businesses, including my own employer, and instead pocketed this money from all of we low-earning employees and redirected it to the residential areas of the township (even giving tax refunds to their senior citizens out of the money we paid in), which I deem to be highly unfair. Edwardsville is doing the same thing now at my new employer---many of my co-workers fear going to their vehicles alone after dark, yet borough officials are already counting the ways to utilize our $52 payments to rehabilitate other areas of the town.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 PM

to answer your question my husband died of cancer 13 yrs ago and my husbands wife died of cancer 13 yrs ago...we have only been married 6 yrs..but because of the medical bills we both had to go bankrupt and both lost homes and everything we had (we didn't know each other) we have both struggled me 7 yrs at 2 jobs to survive...I told you I had good jobs in Virginia the circuit court pd me $23 an hour...I moved here with my husband without knowing abt it he was from here and his mother still lives here but he had been in Va for over 20 yrs and did not know what had happened to this area after the steel mills shut down because of our bad credit we are paying 8.5% int on a $112,000 house that started at $86,000 4 yrs ago non fixed int and refinanced this yr the int is lower and we have a fixed loan but legal or not they made us pay off our car and credit card bills and they are included in our house payment (the credit cards were only total $4,000 ....We feel the first mortgage co were crooks because our int was 13% int and not fixed but we did get out of it this past Sept and got the fixed loan but little people like us have to do what we can glad you are not in our situation hope you never see it i also told you I have my pa ins license but left because I needed more pay check out the ins jobs here and see they only pay $8 an hr....yes I can scrub floors anywhere and that's why I'm moving to SC the weather's better, the people polite to each other,the taxes are lower...

Old 02-22-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
to answer your question my husband died of cancer 13 yrs ago and my husbands wife died of cancer 13 yrs ago...we have only been married 6 yrs..but because of the medical bills we both had to go bankrupt and both lost homes and everything we had (we didn't know each other) we have both struggled me 7 yrs at 2 jobs to survive...I told you I had good jobs in Virginia the circuit court pd me $23 an hour...I moved here with my husband without knowing abt it he was from here and his mother still lives here but he had been in Va for over 20 yrs and did not know what had happened to this area after the steel mills shut down because of our bad credit we are paying 8.5% int on a $112,000 house that started at $86,000 4 yrs ago non fixed int and refinanced this yr the int is lower and we have a fixed loan but legal or not they made us pay off our car and credit card bills and they are included in our house payment (the credit cards were only total $4,000 ....We feel the first mortgage co were crooks because our int was 13% int and not fixed but we did get out of it this past Sept and got the fixed loan but little people like us have to do what we can glad you are not in our situation hope you never see it i also told you I have my pa ins license but left because I needed more pay check out the ins jobs here and see they only pay $8 an hr....yes I can scrub floors anywhere and that's why I'm moving to SC the weather's better, the people polite to each other,the taxes are lower...

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. For what it's worth you might want to consider Greenville, SC. It's what Scranton would be like if its residents weren't nasty to one another and skeptical of every new idea. There was a photo thread on that sub-forum for SC that I read through and nearly cried about because everyone was being so overwhelmingly optimistic for their city whereas everyone on this sub-forum has a "this area is dead" mentality. There were two or three people who contributed to that photo thread, and all three of them were males my age, which gave me hope that there ARE cities out there where the youth gives a damn about their city's future and try to improve their cities' images instead of permitting others to slam it into the ground unabated.

I think Greenville is fairly expensive though; Spartanburg isn't far away and is supposedly more affordable.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 PM

I truly hope no one has to experience the lessons that my husband and I have had to learn through no fault of our own We just wanted to start a new life together and have a home of our own again the bankruptcies are suppose to drop off after 7 yrs and they still show up on our credit if we want a credit card or buying a house WE have no credit cards now we can survive on making $9 and hr me and $10.50 my husband because we don't have cable we don't have cell phones we don't go out to dinner (we are better cooks anyway) we don't go to the movies we have a bigggggggg garden we don't have a roter tiller or a riding lawn mower We haven't been on vacation either of us for over 20 yrs not even a honeymoon success is around the corner but I can't further my education at age 71 now can I?????????? or my husband we do get a smallllllll ss ck less than $500 each because during our early working yrs our paycks were low then too.our SS cks pay the utilities and gas we have to work for ins payments and groceries and mortgage payment and the taxes...we are surviving because we work and don't live off the Govt....you are right the grey heads and I'm one of them so not deserve the Govt cks because most of them haven't worked since they were 55 my mother in law has not filed a IRS form in 23 yrs and is filing one this yr to get $300 from the Govt.. because I'm still working I'm still paying taxes and Medicare ( I take in sewing for extra money)In our days we couldn't save because we were feeding and clothing and sending our children to college and now they are making big salaries and think they are smarter than us but they are not and they will find that out when life throws them a curve they won't know how to handle it I don't even think they know how to make chicken soup or do without their lap tops or other gagets or cable or sit and read a good book for entertainment.....sorry I'm long winded but those of you who know know and those of you who are not dry behind the ears will never know....and I long to hear a concert or see a live show I studied concert piano and still play..but now I have to buy groceries and Christmas presents and new baby presents and birthday presents for you know who.....

Old 02-22-2008, 08:32 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,875,896 times
Quote:
I long to hear a concert or see a live show I studied concert piano and still play..but now I have to buy groceries and Christmas presents and new baby presents and birthday presents for you know who.....

If they aren't giving you the support a child should give a parent in need why feel guilty to send presents you can't afford?

I put myself into deep debt when I was 20 buying Musical Equipment. I was sure it would pay off with a record deal but it never surfaced. I spent the next 8 years of my life paying it off with the help of one of the debt help companies. 10 years from paying off I now enjoy top notch credit ratings and have little debt.

Maybe you guys could try one of these companies that work with the creditors to lower your apr%. It hurts your credit further for the time being but it sounds like that won't matter much to you right now. I sent a friend in that direction when he was struggling to pay off his school loan and now he is debt free, repairing his credit with a new card and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania