Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM

78 posts, read 407,689 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired and currently living in South NJ. We're thinking of making a move to PA, not sure where but am considering the Milford area. I want to be somewhat close to my children and grandchildren who live in central NJ. I'm somewhat nervous about making the move and wanted to hear from others who have already relocated to PA from NJ. Any advice or suggestions? We're open to other areas in PA too. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
My husband and I are retired and currently living in South NJ. We're thinking of making a move to PA, not sure where but am considering the Milford area. I want to be somewhat close to my children and grandchildren who live in central NJ. I'm somewhat nervous about making the move and wanted to hear from others who have already relocated to PA from NJ. Any advice or suggestions? We're open to other areas in PA too. Thanks in advance.
Hello there, I just recently retired and moving to clarks summit,PA, thats about 12 miles from milford exit. I have had the home since 2006, and making the move from staten Island, still have to sell the house here. The family and I are very happy with the area, you will get alot more for your money out here as far as a home, taxes average, 2to4k better quality of life, I am on a nyc pension so it is only taxed on federal, but you are doing the right thing by coming on this forum to find out info on the areas in PA. the people here are very helpful, and some might be frank about things but truthful. I would advise before even thinking about buying into an area do your homework,this is a good step.Tunkannock is another nice area, a little farther out.What made you consider PA? and If you are considering a certain area, visit it,stay over night, talk to merchants, the police,people in the neighborhood,people in restaurants, see who is shopping in the supermarket, the last thing you need is a problem. you could go online and check out the neighborhood crime stats also... feel free to ask questionshttp://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/coartist88/cop.gif (broken link)

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM

Thank you for replying. We want to get out of NJ for the usual reasons and want to get more house for our money.....but I'm not ready to go too far because I enjoy seeing my children and grandchildren here in NJ. So we thought of looking into what's available in PA. We go to the Milford area every year after the holidays and we've always liked it there. We're thinking of doing as you suggest....spend time visiting the areas that we're considering. I've been reading a lot of the posts here too. We're also considering the Lehigh Valley area. I don't know that area at all, but I believe that it's not too far from our family. I'd like to be within 2 hours of our family in NJ.

We also have a son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren in Florida and my husband would like to look into moving down there. But I don't think I want to make such a far move.

So....we have a lot of homework to do! Plus we need to sell our home here in NJ which might take awhile!!

Thanks again for your input....Marge

Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
If you check into Lehigh look into Forks.......which is an area just past and beyond the Lafayette College. The homes are going just a tad below 300 and they are new, built in the last few years.
They have local access to the Giants grocery store, pizza places, a back way to the Palmer Mall, Walmart, Wegmans, the Phillipsburg Mall,other stores and the Regal 12 theaters.
From that location you can shop easily in Phillipsburg for a good lowes and Home depot,Toys R Us.....or in the Freemansberg area of Pa for some of the big box stores also. Linen and Things, Barnes and Nobles, Texas Steak House plus others.
There is plenty around. It is also easy access to 22/78 for traveling into NJ.
The Forks area is in a great location ........and the homes are a good buy right now.
That might be the quickest route to NJ for your visiting, and for family.
From Forks ( Easton area) Pa, it is less then an hour to Morristown, NJ.
Other then that Brodheadsville, which is more rural, is close to route 80 and trips to NJ also........It takes us less then an hour to get to Hackettstown, NJ and about an hour to Denville, NJ.
Best of luck. Be sure to check all the areas out........

Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Not from NJ, but close to Bergen County when we moved from NY. Would only consider west of Milford if I had to move up this way. The taxes are lower, better schools and I find that the people are much friendlier. Where coartist lives, I recommend that area as well. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:05 AM

Coartest: I looked at the map to see where Clarks Summit is and it looks much farther than 12 miles from the Milford exit. Am I wrong? Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Co, it is much further than 12 miles as margeaa stated. It takes me almost an hour to get to Scranton. How far is Clarks from Scranton?

Hat

Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
The Clarks Summit location is great.........and all those stores in Dickson City and Scranton. Fantastic.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
We moved from NJ to Pa on 2000. It was the best move we made after living in NJ for 20 years. Our property tax was cut in half as was our car insurance. We are stil close to NJ and NY so it is easy to visit friends and family. Its sems alot less crowded and its a slower pace here in Pa. Also our penions are not taxed as they would have been in NJ and being that we still work the income tax rate for us is less here in Pa. We thought about moving to one of the Carolinas but they couldn't compete with Pennsylvania as far as income and pension tax. Good Luck !

Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Co, it is much further than 12 miles as margeaa stated. It takes me almost an hour to get to Scranton. How far is Clarks from Scranton?

Hat

Clarks Summit is immediately northwest of Scranton. It is definitely much further than 12 miles from Milford. Probably more like 50 miles from Milford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania