U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 10:11 AM

31 posts, read 26,544 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm having a little trouble navigating to the carry in boat launch in Pittston. I took a drive down there yesterday and can't locate the access points. I know it's carry-in which is fine - I'd like to take a short kayak trip from there and it's the perfect place to launch for that. When I'm ready, I'll go farther up river.

I know there is one access area behind Cooper's, but it's access for those with impairments (I do have rheumatoid arthritis, but it's in check and I don't have any kind of handicap access or stickers...) - I would rather not use it and risk being towed.

The other? I think you enter at the dirt road area prior to the bridge? Then drive around? Leave gear and then go park up in the parking lot across from the main stairwell entrance?

Does anyone on these boards have any info on the parking and access for that particular launch? I have done multiple web searches and found a few maps but they don't really give great detail.

I plan to take another drive there and look around again...being a transplant, I'm having a little difficulty getting good info on that launch. Also, I tried calling the town hall multiple times and can't seem to get a human to pick up the phone. I was hoping their parks and recreation department would have someone that could walk me through it.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated! Now that I'm feeling better I want to paddle the area a bit more but I have to do short trips and build up my stamina again.

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 03:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,425,493 times
Rte 11 N. to the end, right across the cement bridge. At the light at the end of the bridge, turn left and go approx. 1/4 mi., turn into the dirt road with the dirt parking lot on your left. Bob's your uncle!

Old 08-05-2016, 05:15 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,425,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Rte 11 N. to the end, right across the cement bridge. At the light at the end of the bridge, turn left and go approx. 1/4 mi., turn into the dirt road with the dirt parking lot on your left. Bob's your uncle!

I need to clarify this!!! I was cooking supper when I responded to your post and I left out some important detail.

First, I'm assuming (don't assume!!) you're coming up Wyoming Ave (Rte 11) from Kingston. In West Pittston, you run out of Rt 11 so that's where you'd bear right over the cement bridge. (There's also a metal bridge over the Susquehanna and that's how people distinguish the two) At the light at the end of the bridge, you're in Pittston.

After that, the directions are okay. Sorry if I misled some people by the "Rte 11...to the end" statement.

BTW, the pork chops were very good.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:31 PM

31 posts, read 26,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I need to clarify this!!! I was cooking supper when I responded to your post and I left out some important detail.

First, I'm assuming (don't assume!!) you're coming up Wyoming Ave (Rte 11) from Kingston. In West Pittston, you run out of Rt 11 so that's where you'd bear right over the cement bridge. (There's also a metal bridge over the Susquehanna and that's how people distinguish the two) At the light at the end of the bridge, you're in Pittston.

After that, the directions are okay. Sorry if I misled some people by the "Rte 11...to the end" statement.

BTW, the pork chops were very good.

Thank you! I thought that was where I should go...I'll try that next time. I dropped my kayak in at Nesbitt and went down to Hunlock Creek instead. Fun, but I really wanted to start in Pittston. Will have to do that next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or