Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
By the way, the Hillside Inn in Canadensis was in the newspaper back in 2012 as being converted to one of these drug and rehab places - it now looks like it was abandoned. The same could happen to Brookdale.
FYI I passed by the old Hillside Resort (not related to the one in Canadensis) in Marshalls Creek the other day and was reminded that it had been converted to a detox/rehab facility a few years ago. I live about 2 miles from it, and I cannot recall hearing about any problems with it, or about any fuss with the neighbors when it was converting from down-at-the-heels resort to rehab.

https://www.pyramidhealthcarepa.com/...t-stroudsburg/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
FYI I passed by the old Hillside Resort (not related to the one in Canadensis) in Marshalls Creek the other day and was reminded that it had been converted to a detox/rehab facility a few years ago. I live about 2 miles from it, and I cannot recall hearing about any problems with it, or about any fuss with the neighbors when it was converting from down-at-the-heels resort to rehab.

https://www.pyramidhealthcarepa.com/...t-stroudsburg/
I know that I made a mistake. I was only familiar with the Hillside in Canadensis. After I realized my mistake we had to drive down to see the actual one in Marshalls Creek. Yes; it looked like they were maintaining the property and we did not see anything that looked like drug activity - we actually did not see any activity; except for one worker going back to work after lunch. So, with the operation of that site in our minds; we could be better off than with the run down Brookdale resort inviting trouble.

We still have to wait and see. The three developers do have many hurdles to overcome before the plan is final. I also imagine that many of the closer residents are going to put up a good fight.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:04 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
We still have to wait and see. The three developers do have many hurdles to overcome before the plan is final. I also imagine that many of the closer residents are going to put up a good fight.

The unknown is always scary. We had a scare here in Shawnee, before the crash, where approval for over 2,000 new homes had been granted in 1989, and was gradually whittled down to around 1,000 by 2008/09 because of community activism. That project seems to be dead, but only until the next prolonged economic boom, whenever that comes.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM

161 posts, read 262,531 times
Quote:
I know that I made a mistake. I was only familiar with the Hillside in Canadensis. After I realized my mistake we had to drive down to see the actual one in Marshalls Creek. Yes; it looked like they were maintaining the property and we did not see anything that looked like drug activity - we actually did not see any activity; except for one worker going back to work after lunch. So, with the operation of that site in our minds; we could be better off than with the run down Brookdale resort inviting trouble.

This is Pocono Township. You and I know deep down in our hearts this is already a done deal, no matter how hard we fight. The presentation and meetings are only a formality for the public.

It will get the rubber stamp of approval just like everything does here, as long as the price is right...

Old 08-23-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
This is Pocono Township. You and I know deep down in our hearts this is already a done deal, no matter how hard we fight. The presentation and meetings are only a formality for the public.

It will get the rubber stamp of approval just like everything does here, as long as the price is right...
I will not argue with you. But I do think they have some pretty good hurdles to overcome. It is going to take more than just Pocono Township to get off the ground. The sewage and especially the commercial zoning will be major obstacles. These issues will not be settled overnight and there will still be plenty of opposition.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I will not argue with you. But I do think they have some pretty good hurdles to overcome. It is going to take more than just Pocono Township to get off the ground. The sewage and especially the commercial zoning will be major obstacles. These issues will not be settled overnight and there will still be plenty of opposition.
But in the end, they'll get what they want because the right people will get "incentives" to make it happen.

Remember when the people voted the new NCC campus down? How'd that work out for us?

The zoning is not an obstacle. They can change the zoning with a single vote.

The sewers? Well, they'll just pick our pockets for that like usual.

Mark my words- this will get approved. They'll get everything they want.

Then a few years down the road they'll change the status to a non-profit so they don't have to pay property taxes any more and can get all kinds of taxpayer handouts.

I'm just so sick of the way things work around here. I was just reading that according to a recent study, PA is the 5th most corrupt state. NY didn't even make the top 10...

And if they did another study, and broke that down further by county, and township- I wonder what the results would be?

Makes you think about the future here...

Old 08-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
But in the end, they'll get what they want because the right people will get "incentives" to make it happen.

Remember when the people voted the new NCC campus down? How'd that work out for us?

The zoning is not an obstacle. They can change the zoning with a single vote.

The sewers? Well, they'll just pick our pockets for that like usual.

Mark my words- this will get approved. They'll get everything they want.

Then a few years down the road they'll change the status to a non-profit so they don't have to pay property taxes any more and can get all kinds of taxpayer handouts.

I'm just so sick of the way things work around here. I was just reading that according to a recent study, PA is the 5th most corrupt state. NY didn't even make the top 10...

And if they did another study, and broke that down further by county, and township- I wonder what the results would be?

Makes you think about the future here...
From what I read online it is very hard for any local government to stand up to the American's Disability Act. They are almost forced to approve. But, like I stated before; they do have hurdles to overcome.

Yes; I was angry about NCC. I thought that it was totally unfair that the college, located in Monroe, did not give the same tuition breaks to our students and we were giving them funds to expand (relocate).

I was also angry about our State that rubber stamped legalized gambling when the voters turned it down two times! Sometimes we just don't win.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
From what I read online it is very hard for any local government to stand up to the American's Disability Act. They are almost forced to approve. But, like I stated before; they do have hurdles to overcome.

Yes; I was angry about NCC. I thought that it was totally unfair that the college, located in Monroe, did not give the same tuition breaks to our students and we were giving them funds to expand (relocate).

I was also angry about our State that rubber stamped legalized gambling when the voters turned it down two times! Sometimes we just don't win.
In Monroe county, and particularly in Pocono township- the voters never win...

Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Quote:
In Monroe county, and particularly in Pocono township- the voters never win...
Being unfamiliar with Monroe politics, who do 'they' vote for?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:08 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
My I ask a question? If you're so unhappy living where you do, why not find a way to leave? Not being facetious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania