Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,740 times

Advertisements

So, I am pretty certain I got a spider bite on my thumb about two weeks ago. It was slightly sore and tender for a few days, then gradually became kind of rough and slightly numb. The thumb was also a little itchy. I have been waiting for it to go away, but in the past few days the swelling has expanded into my index finger, and there are three raised bumps on my index finger.

So, I think I should probably have it checked out. I have health insurance, but I have never seen a doctor locally because I am just more of a holistic person, go to doctor when absolutely necessary, but this I think requires a doctor. Does anyone have a recommendation around Honesdale for someone to call?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM

Forgot to say that I did find and exterminate a large brown spider a couple of days after I found the bite. Unfortunately I didn't save it. I know it wasn't a brown recluse, or I'd be in much more pain. A lot of the stuff I read about spider bites seems to indicate that if it's not a recluse or widow, then it's not that bad. Any experts out there, regarding any local dangerous spiders?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 AM

50 posts, read 186,902 times
Go over to Wayne Memorial Hospital emergency room, walk in entrance in front of hospital, first set of door on right. Quick, easy and pleasant.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
I am with Pocono, do not fool around with spider bites. Better to be safe, Merman and let us know how you make out? There was a neighbor that had a brown recluse bite, must seek medical attention. Let us know..........

Hat

Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,747 times
I agree...to be on the VERY safe side, hit the ER ASAP...I wouldn't wait any longer...

Old 02-25-2008, 12:44 PM

343 posts, read 604,067 times
Hopefully, you have gone to the ER by now, but, hopefully, not Wayne Memorial. A co-worker's mother was hit in the arm by a car passing by when she was getting out of her car on Main Street in Honesdale. The nurse in the ER repeated to her, "Okay, you were hit by a cow.........." and the nurse was serious. Go to a Scranton hospital for any type of treatment if you can.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:57 PM

"You were hit by a cow"...that's funny.

I have a $100 copay for the emergency room, so I am hesitant to go seeing as I have lived with this for the last couple of weeks. I am going to try to get an appt with a doctor sometime in the next few days and hopefully figure out if anything serious is wrong or if it will just eventually heal on its own.

Thanks for all the well wishes! I'll let you know what comes of it.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM

996 posts, read 3,278,643 times
I have lived in the area for over forty years and have never seen any type of poisonous spider, although there are some awfully scary looking barn spiders around! I'm sure it's possible, but more than likely you are having a allergic reaction to whatever bit you. Go and get it checked out just in case it is something serious.

The only doctor I have heard of in that area is a Dr. Henderson. Sorry I can't help you more, but I wouldn't worry about using Wayne Memorial's ER if that is the closest to you.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Forgot to say that I did find and exterminate a large brown spider a couple of days after I found the bite. Unfortunately I didn't save it. I know it wasn't a brown recluse, or I'd be in much more pain. A lot of the stuff I read about spider bites seems to indicate that if it's not a recluse or widow, then it's not that bad. Any experts out there, regarding any local dangerous spiders?

Just out of curiosity where did you find the spider?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM

173 posts, read 582,447 times
I found this link for you from PSU that lists all common spiders in PA, what the reactions are, and pictures so you can try to compare to the brown spider you seen.

Commonly Encountered PA Spiders - Penn State Entomology Department Fact Sheet

Also you said there are 3 marks? All spiders have 2 fangs, so my thinking was if it was a spider there should be either 2 marks for one bite or 4 marks for two bites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania