Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM

21 posts, read 38,863 times

Advertisements

We're looking to purchase land soon in the Preston Park or Lake Como area to eventually build a home for retirement (in about 3-4 years). We've looked all around Wayne County over the past 2 years and really like this area.

We realize that shopping for everyday needs (food/beer/gas, etc) will not be local to the area. Closest will probably be Hancock, NY or Honesdale.

Does anyone know of any problems/concerns with living in this area? Any proposed power lines coming through?

Also, there seems to be many summer camps in the area. Anyone know of traffic problems due to these campers arriving/leaving during the summer?

Thanks,

Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times
I live in the area...although not as far north. There are many areas that are just as undeveloped/bucolic as where you're talking about, but that are much closer to Honesdale...Callicoon...or even Hancock. I would recommend that. If you really don't mind a half hour drive for milk, then you're golden, but I think it would get old, especially with gas prices rising steadily.

There has been rumbling about power lines for the NYC power grid along the upper Delaware river corridor for many years. I don't think it would affect the area you are considering, but the info is available online if you want to google for it. I don't have a link to their maps handy.

The other local buzz is about gas drilling. There are thousands of acres in northern wayne and western sullivan, and even into susquehanna county, that are being explored for potential gas wells. This is a huge issue with a lot of things to consider before making up one's mind, but there are many editorials and web sites regarding the gas drilling set up as well. I see a lot of benefits and a lot of risks to the drilling. There are the obvious environmental risks, which is the big thing, but there is also the risk of decreased property values if it just so happens your neighbor gets wells and the noise and eyesore becomes part of your property as well.

The major benefit is that farmers, who are the ones with the large parcels that are attractive to gas companies, need this money and it is significant money. I am happy that some of them are getting this much needed break.

So, in terms of area, if I were you I'd look closer to town in areas like Lebanon Township...Damascus Township...Bethany...Mt. Pleasant. Feel free to write with any questions or anything.

Last edited by MermanMike; 02-26-2008 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-26-2008, 05:03 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Someone mentioned in another thread that Wayne County has a large population of Section 8 housings. Is that true? Is it confined to a certain area or dispersed throughout the county. It's beautiful up that way and we are lining our ducks up. We also have some vested property interest in Callicoon. Merman, it is such beautiful county out your way, and it reminds me of the innocence that Milford/Dingmans had back in the 1970's.

Hat

Old 02-26-2008, 05:15 AM

I can't think of an area that would have a lot of section 8 housing. I guess it's probably dispersed. I picked Lebanon Township for the easy access to Honesdale via Rt 191, and you can catch Rt 6 to Scranton without driving through downtown Honesdale. Large parcels of land that are unlikely to be subdivided, nice homes. Close proximity to some super high end homes in the Duck Harbor area, which is good for tax base and property values.

Callicoon is great but be careful about the taxes. Taxes in Sullivan West have gone up a lot in the past few years, and there is talk of them going up a LOT more in the next few years. It has become a very expensive place to own a home. There are many people buying houses here in PA, on the other side of border, just to escape the tax burden.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
I can't think of an area that would have a lot of section 8 housing. I guess it's probably dispersed. I picked Lebanon Township for the easy access to Honesdale via Rt 191, and you can catch Rt 6 to Scranton without driving through downtown Honesdale. Large parcels of land that are unlikely to be subdivided, nice homes. Close proximity to some super high end homes in the Duck Harbor area, which is good for tax base and property values.

Callicoon is great but be careful about the taxes. Taxes in Sullivan West have gone up a lot in the past few years, and there is talk of them going up a LOT more in the next few years. It has become a very expensive place to own a home. There are many people buying houses here in PA, on the other side of border, just to escape the tax burden.
Merman, Thanks for your quick response. We hear that Honesdale schools are excellent as well. And a easy access the the University would be fruitful for me as I travel up there at least 2 times a seek. I will have to check out Duck Habor. The biggest fear is the jump in taxes that we have seen in Dingmans. $7,000 is a little ridiculous and there are no services expect the school: Club DV.

Callicoon and Sullivan is jumping right now with the gambling. Callicoon is doing well with their new and improved resort Villa Roma which was re-built after the big fire. I have seen some huge homes pop up there in the last 2 years. Yes, the taxes are jumping in that area as well. Bethel Center is starting to pick up again, but they really have no tax base.

Thanks for the info....................Hat

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Wow...$7,000...you could definitely do a lot better in Wayne Co! Since you are paying attention to Sullivan and Wayne, I'll tell you there is a great site at catskill4sale.com with a realtor who has a very readable and informative blog about local real estate. I check it a few times week and am always impressed with his insight.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, for $5,000 back home, I had great schools, garbage pickup tiwice a week and a police force that responded within 5 minutes....LOL I willl check out that lead but in the meantime this forum has opened up my eyes to different areas that I was not aware of before.

Hat

Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 AM

910 posts, read 2,992,634 times
We've looked at Duck Harbor as well, it really is beautiful up in the Honesdale area. Unfortunately it doesnt work for us with hubby travelling to NJ unless he crossed into NY and took, what is that 97(?) down to port jervis. May as well stay closer to 84. Wayne Highlands is a nice SD as well.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:43 PM

21 posts, read 38,863 times
MermanMike,

Thanks for the response. We looked in those towns that you mentioned but didn't find any suitable land that met what we were looking for. We went further west then north and saw some interesting properties. Although not near any conveniences. That'll be a big change.

We have 2 Costco's / 3 BJ's Wholsaler / 3 WalMart / 2 major shopping malls all within 10 miles of us here in NJ (and at least one of each in our town). Gas stations galore - nearest one about a quarter mile - I could coast down the hill on empty and get there!! It's going to be a change of life and we're looking forward to making the move. Tired of the traffic / population density / yada yada yada. Same reasons that most people are leaving. We wish that we could get out sooner.

Again, there are several summer camps up there that look quite impressive in Google Earth. Wondering if traffic is a problem up there on the weekends. There aren't many roads that go there!

We're waiting for the snow to melt up there before walking a prospective property that was surveyed after the last thaw.

I hope that you're healing from that spider bite.

Dennis

Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the well wishes. The finger is still swollen but I'm pretty certain its on the mend.

You're right about the summer camps...this is the land of summer camps. There is no doubt a lot more traffic in the summer than in the winter (also due to summer sports on the Delaware) but I have never seen "traffic" in northern Wayne county at all. Even at the busier times, things keep flowing. It is not uncommon to take a 30-minute drive around the country roads and see only a few other cars.

I hear you about the land too...you can get a lot more land...with more interesting features...at a better price up that way. So, if the isolation won't be a bother, it's a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania