Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:59 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,078,012 times

Advertisements

Still looking for more stuff to do- have a 4 year old and a 2 year old...

So far I found a really neat play center: Kids Play Today Home Page located in Shohola right off Rte 6. They are new so they have plenty of openings for their huge indoor play area and various classes. So far we are really pleased and thankful they opened!

Tried a few of the child centers in Milford but due to DD's severe peanut allergy, sadly they are not in my comfort zone because they refuse to give her a peanut free eating area which is unacceptable for a school setting IMO so she won't go. The play center is nut-free and unlike the other places they actually care about my daughter's safety.

I know there are outdoor things to do, but I am looking for more structured/varied things for the kids to do within 1 hour drive of Milford. So far I have the Space Zoo in NJ and the zoo in Hawley on my list of things to do this summer.

Any other ideas??? They don't have to be nut-free BTW, unless the kids would be there without my supervision.

Last edited by winnie; 02-26-2008 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 AM

910 posts, read 2,979,433 times
Lacawac Sanctuary has some great inexpensive things for the kids to do, and all outdoors!
If you go in the other direction to Middletown NY you'll find plenty to do as well.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 AM

755 posts, read 2,324,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Still looking for more stuff to do- have a 4 year old and a 2 year old...

So far I found a really neat play center: Kids Play Today Home Page located in Shohola right off Rte 6. They are new so they have plenty of openings for their huge indoor play area and various classes. So far we are really pleased and thankful they opened!

Tried a few of the child centers in Milford but due to DD's severe peanut allergy, sadly they are not in my comfort zone because they refuse to give her a peanut free eating area which is unacceptable for a school setting IMO so she won't go. The play center is nut-free and unlike the other places they actually care about my daughter's safety.

I know there are outdoor things to do, but I am looking for more structured/varied things for the kids to do within 1 hour drive of Milford. So far I have the Space Zoo in NJ and the zoo in Hawley on my list of things to do this summer.

Any other ideas??? They don't have to be nut-free BTW, unless the kids would be there without my supervision.
Kids Play Today is an awesome place for the little ones. I know the owner's brother. Hat and I were both there for the grand opening (didn't know each other at the time..lol)...it was a blast... Going there for a birthday party on the 8th.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,508,340 times
We take our daughter to kids play today and are very happy with their program. There is a program in Middletown for gymnastics, although we will wait for the summer. We also are going to have our daughter start Milford Montesorri school in September. I highly recommend KidsPlayToday, and yes, FF and I have not met yet.....maybe when the ice melts??

Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM

I was recommended Kids Play as well so I guess we'll have to check that out too.
Yes, Little Gym in middletown is great, my friend's kids go there. The older one just turned 5 and she switched into the cheerleading class http://www.awallacedesigns.com/images/static.gif (broken link) it's stuff like that I wish I could do but I'm sure my boys would much rather continue on with the lightsabers lol

Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM

755 posts, read 2,324,214 times
We should all meet @ KPT one Friday afternoon for open play....

Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 AM

Im in just let me know when

Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,078,012 times
Where is this Montesorri school?? I have not heard of it yet and didn't see it in the phone book but I've hoped to find one around here!

Did not know Middletown had a play area too, thought all they had was that ChuckeCheese which my son is terrified of LOL! Too much going on there I guess for a little 2 year old shy boy. Will have to check the Little Gym out on the weekend.

My DD wants to be a Ballerina of course (thanks Angelina from Sprout!!) but maybe if she did gymnastics she wouldn't know the difference too much.

Thanks for the good ideas, we have a weird schedule here at home due to DH's work 2 weeks in a row and that looong commute but we try to get out with the kids in the early afternoon and do things as a family.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:45 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,508,340 times
The Montessori school is at the Old St. Patricks Church in Milford. It is one of the highest schools in demand. I hear the gymnastic program in Middletown is great and good for children to keep active. We are waiting for the weather to calm down, do not feel like driving down 84 in this weather.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 AM

32,603 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hates Pike Co View Post
My advise if you don't want your kids odds of being a druggie to be 99% or end up with a std, id move from the milford area, its boring for teenagers in the area. 80% of DVHS do drugs, i mean more than pot 2 they do everything
I believe "80%" is a GROSS EXAGGERATION. I hailed from Pittston Area, which serves Pittston, a middle-class local suburb with a notorious major drug problem. Nevertheless, I'd peg the actual number of druggies at my alma mater at, perhaps, 10%-15%, considering I knew most of the kids at my high school rather well.

People who whine "I'm bored" in NEPA honestly aren't looking around enough for things to do. There's bowling, movies, gambling, high-end shopping, skiing, white-water rafting, hiking, marathons, dance clubs, theater, a gifted Philharmonic, minor-league sports, art walks, miniature golf, and a myriad of other activities to enjoy. I'm very rarely "bored" here (although as a non-skier I find myself at a loss sometimes for fun events on the weeknights during winter I have off).

In regards to the STD comment, most kids have already at least "fooled around" by age 18, including myself, and I was on the honor roll. It is the responsibility of you all as PARENTS to make sure they do so responsibly by using protection and taking ALL necessary precautions. You'd be astonished to hear that MOST of my male peers do NOT consider oral sex to be "sex" at all! I'm a strong advocate of sexual education in our high schools for this very reason. You can't stop horny teenagers from rutting at each other, but you CAN guide them on how to do it SAFELY and RESPONSIBLY as to avoid contracting any diseases, avoid a "date rape", avoid pregnancy, etc. If Delaware Valley truly DOES have such a prolific problem with STDs, then look in the mirror as PARENTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania