U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM

19,817 posts, read 10,774,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
Oh my goodness, my Dad makes the best! Although my Mom gets mad when he cooks them because he makes such a mess. Now you've got me hungry. I'm coming up to Hamlin on the 15th and I know he'll make them for me because it's my birthday - and he knows they are my favorite. I'll see if I can get his recipie for you then.
Well for pity's sake and mine please get the recipe and share it. LOL
My mom made great potato pancakes but alas the recipe followed her to her grave.
I live in the sticks and the closest I get to good potato pancakes are the size of a silver dollar and have no flavor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 PM

13,313 posts, read 13,362,724 times
mathjak and MermanMike.........I didn't know you were Master Chefs........
In fact I thought mathjak was a great roaming photographer.....
Amongst the many wonderful cooks we are seeing here. What a talented bunch.....
Believe me, the OP......I am not a cook. But, the recipes I do put here will be ones that have been made, and LOVED through out the years.
What we need is to have ILVPA to come back here........I think she is a cook too.
The only time I come out of my shell is for company.....then I go all out.Candles, flowers, and all kinds of fun foods around.
Master Baker......that sounds like a good title......Mathjak-Masterbaker
MermanMike.......Head Chef

Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM

24 posts, read 56,951 times
I LOVE this thread!!! Here's a few recipe's from me - enjoy everyone!

Italian Chicken Spidini

Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 20 mins

4 teaspoons olive oil or cooking oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I buy thin-sliced breasts and skip step 2)
4 1-ounce slices mozzarella cheese
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
cup fine dry bread crumbs
cup dry sherry or chicken broth
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
teaspoon onion salt
4 tablespoons butter
Hot cooked Fettuccine (optional)

1. GREASE a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
2. PLACE each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap.
3. BRUSH tops of chicken breasts with oil. On boned side of each chicken breast half, place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese
4. COMBINE garlic powder, oregano, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over chicken breast halves. Fold in the sides and bottoms of chicken breast halves; roll up each piece into a spiral, pressing edges to seal. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl; roll chicken roll-ups in crumbs to coat. Place in prepared baking dish. Drizzle sherry or broth over chicken. Sprinkle with Romano cheese and onion salt. Place 1 teaspoon of the butter on top of each roll-up.
5. BAKE in a 375F oven for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with pasta.

Makes 4 servings

[NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING] 324 CAL., 17g TOTAL FAT, 73mg chol., 562mg SODIUM, 12g CARBO.
Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms

2 tsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 large clove garlic, crushed
4x4oz. think-sliced skinless chicken breasts
2 cups small mushrooms, halved
1/3 cup chicken broth
tsp dried thyme leaves, crumbled

1. In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil
2. In a medium bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar, the mustard and garlic. Add chicken and turn to coat.
3. Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. Saute chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm.
4. Heat remaining teaspoon of oil in skillet. Saute mushrooms for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining tablespoon of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer.
5. Serve chicken topped with mushrooms.

Calories: 187
Total fat: 4g
Saturated fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 66mg
Sodium: 223mg
Carbohydrate: 6g
Fiber: 0g
Protein: 29g
Calcium: 22mg
Spicy Buffalo Wings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins

Ingredients
1 pounds chicken wings (you can save time by purchasing chicken drumettes, which are wings already trimmed into pieces. Proceed with dipping and coating the chicken as recipe directs.)
1 egg, lightly beaten
cup all-purpose flour
cup vegetable oil
cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (you can double this for a little more flavor)
teaspoon salt
teaspoon pepper
Serves 6

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut each wing into 3 pieces at the joints, discarding wing tip. Dip chicken in egg. Coat with flour.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken wings. Fry until browned and crisp on all sides, about 5 minutes; drain. Arrange in medium baking dish.
3. Combine brown sugar, honey and vinegar in a small bowl; mix well. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken.
4. Bake chicken, basting occasionally with sauce and turning, until cooked through, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter; drizzle with sauce.
Teriyaki London Broil

INGREDIENTS

1 (1 -pound) London Broil

MARINADE: (I usually double all this so that I have enough to put on the side to serve with the beef)
cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup beef bouillon

1. Make slits about 1/8-inch deep around edges of beef
2. For marinade, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and bouillon in a shallow dish; mix well. Reserve 1/3 of marinade (I reserve more to put over the beef once its finished cooking). Add beef to dish; turn to coat.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes (I like to leave it marinating longer usually overnight). While beef is marinating, preheat grill or broiler. Remove beef; discard marinade. Grill or broil beef, basting with reserved marinade, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Let beef stand for about 2 minutes. Slice diagonally across the grain.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 PM
mgb

96 posts, read 159,061 times
Ice Cream Cake

approx 60 ritz crackers, finely crushed (I put them in a zip-lock bag & roll with a rolling
pin)
1 stick softened margerine:mix crackers & margerine well, reserve 1cup,press the rest into 13x9 pan

1/2 gallon softened vanilla ice cream
1 1/2cups milk:beat ice cream and milk together, then add 2 pkgs instant coconut cream pudding, beat well. Spread on crust

Spread 8 oz cool whip on top of ice cream mixture & top with reserved crumbs

refrigerate several hours till set, or overnight

very easy & you can change ice cream, puddings to your taste. I've made this with choc.ice cream, choc. pudding/ vanilla ice cream,pistachio pudding/etc. I've also used graham cracker crumbs. Makes a great Easter dessert!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM

9,241 posts, read 7,679,897 times
My favorite recipe is what's for dinner tonight!

Porketta

You need: (preheat oven to 350)
5-6 lb porketta roast
5 medium potatos
good olive oil

coat bottom of glass pan with olive oil, put roast in center of pan and cook for 40 minutes. 30 minutes out, peel potatos and quarter. Place potatos around the roast at the 40 minute mark. cook until potatos are soft and brown (about 45 minutes). Serve iwth veggie of choice (I use boiled, buttered carrots)
and DON'T FORGET THE APPLESAUCE!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM

999 posts, read 2,164,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
Ice Cream Cake

approx 60 ritz crackers, finely crushed (I put them in a zip-lock bag & roll with a rolling
pin)
1 stick softened margerine:mix crackers & margerine well, reserve 1cup,press the rest into 13x9 pan

1/2 gallon softened vanilla ice cream
1 1/2cups milk:beat ice cream and milk together, then add 2 pkgs instant coconut cream pudding, beat well. Spread on crust

Spread 8 oz cool whip on top of ice cream mixture & top with reserved crumbs

refrigerate several hours till set, or overnight

very easy & you can change ice cream, puddings to your taste. I've made this with choc.ice cream, choc. pudding/ vanilla ice cream,pistachio pudding/etc. I've also used graham cracker crumbs. Makes a great Easter dessert!
My late mother-in-law gave me this recipe when my husband and I were first married (20+ years ago) only she made it as a pie. I usually make it for hubby for the holidays.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM

Gosh, I need to be home with my printer........your all makin' me so hungry.
All this is sounding great. I was a non-cook, but.......I love new dishes.
Such a creative crew we have here.......I won't just say in Pa........as we have a great NJ poster......and .......well, I spent most of my life in New Jersey.
Anyones recipes......will do.......quite nicely.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Default Ritz Chicken

Ok this one I do quite often and it is a hit with everyone.......
Ritz Chicken

You need Ritz crackers, light sour cream, chicken, butter......thats it.

Buy your chicken breasts about med. width....or hammered is ok too.
Dip the chicken in Light Sour Cream
Place into a 9X13 type of pan, smaller for less chicken of course.
Now crush your Ritz to nice small little pieces.
Put this over all of the chicken.....
Dab the top with a few butter slices.
Cook at 350 for about 40 min. ( depends on how thick chicken is, once with thick chicken I cooked this for one hour)
The chicken is nice and tender, the ritz makes for a good crust.......and all the people ask for MORE. A favorite with the kids too......
Quick, and Easy

Old 03-05-2008, 05:44 PM

28,631 posts, read 24,557,160 times
can opener

paper plate

can of beefaroni

this is a rare delecasy as every time im in an italian restaurant and ask for beeferoni they never have it

Old 03-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
can opener

paper plate

can of beefaroni

this is a rare delecasy as every time im in an italian restaurant and ask for beeferoni they never have it
Oh comon' Mathjak........You are the Master Chef here. Love cookin'
I know you don't just eat a can of beefaroni, I just know......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania