Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 PM

266 posts, read 761,522 times

Advertisements

Why Is there no place to recycle #3-7 plastics in in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area?
It seems to me more and more containers are either #5 and #7 and therefor have to go in the trash!
I enjoy recycling to do my little part for the environment
I would go a little out of my way to recycle them,
because I don't see it coming here to Avoca (uses Exeter Boro) anytime soon.

Now if we could just get the people here in Avoca to separate their recyclables before Exeter Boro pulls out again
If the the sign says 'Newspapers only' then it is newspapers only!, Not cereal boxes, plastic bags, etc.
Sorry for the little rant.

If you would like to find out where to recycle what, check it out here...
Recycling Location Search (http://www.dep.state.pa.us/wm_apps/RecyclingLocations/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
NEPA is hostile towards the environment, in case you haven't noticed. I live in neighboring Pittston Township, a municipality that nixed curbside recycling in order to divert revenues to make garbage collection free because our supervisors don't see the value in recycling to make our world a "greener" place. The end result? Very few people now take the time and effort to clean and sort their recyclable waste because they would have to haul it to the refuse building along South Township Boulevard. Now people just chuck bottles, cans, newspapers, etc. into their regular trash bags because their rationale is "why take the time to recycle when garbage collection is free?"

Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,877,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
NEPA is hostile towards the environment, in case you haven't noticed. I live in neighboring Pittston Township, a municipality that nixed curbside recycling in order to divert revenues to make garbage collection free because our supervisors don't see the value in recycling to make our world a "greener" place. The end result? Very few people now take the time and effort to clean and sort their recyclable waste because they would have to haul it to the refuse building along South Township Boulevard. Now people just chuck bottles, cans, newspapers, etc. into their regular trash bags because their rationale is "why take the time to recycle when garbage collection is free?"
Not true here in Wilkes Barre SWB. We all seem to do pretty good with recycling. When I drive through town to go to work or walk the dog I see that many people here are doing a great job of recycling. There have been times in the summer when I opted to actually drive to the public works to drop off stuff rather then wait for the pick up. Either way, the area seems to be doing an upstanding job.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 AM

996 posts, read 3,264,145 times
Quote:
NEPA is hostile towards the environment, in case you haven't noticed.
Not true here in Greentown/Newfoundland either. We have never had recycling pickup either and probably never will, but the recycling dropoff areas in the community are always full.

If anyone in Pike County needs recycling info, try this link:

Recycling (http://www.pikepa.org/recycle.htm - broken link)

Old 03-07-2008, 08:13 AM

266 posts, read 761,522 times
Quote:
I used to live in Browntown, I do miss the free garbage. Back when I lived there, they still had curbside pickup.
We don't have curbside pickup here in Avoca and still have to pay $140 for our garbage pickup.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,477 times
PA residents do not do near as much in regards to recycling as I have seen in other states. There is nowhere to recycle #3-#7 where I live, and that is more than 50% of the plastic that is used in my household. I did do research online and found that the Aveda Salons have a cap recycling program in which you can drop off all rigid caps (detergents, soda bottles, milk containers, etc...) and they use them for new packaging. I think until this and other states that are a little behind in the recycling arena catch up, that it will take creative thinking as to where and how to recycle certain items.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,248,001 times
Wilkes-Barre has recycling pick-up. You simply put your plastics and aluminum in a bin provided by the city, and then you put it out like you put out your garbage. It's a great program for the city.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,749,937 times
I believe any town with a population of over 5,000 in PA is required by law to have a curbside recycling program.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Scr View Post
I believe any town with a population of over 5,000 in PA is required by law to have a curbside recycling program.
If this is accurate then I may have a case to present to our township's board of supervisors whenever the results of the 2010 U.S. Census are released, as we'll be very close to hitting that 5,000 population milestone due to our rapid recent growth by that time.

1990: 2,725
2000: 3,450
2010: 4,175 (Assuming same rate of growth from 2000-2010 as 1990-2000).

I happen to think that with Horizon Estates, Stauffer Pointe, Quail Hill, and other large-scale communities that have been initiated or expanded in our township in recent years that we'll easily eclipse 4,000 in the 2010 U.S. Census and will eclipse 5,000 by 2020.

Here's an analysis into how the population of my own small subdivision has grown since we moved here thirteen years ago:

1996: 62
2009: 81

With free curbside garbage collection with NO curbside recycling service available, our sprawled out township's residents have absolutely NO incentive to pack their vehicles full of bags of plastic, glass, newspapers, etc. and visit the recycling center when they can just shove everything into their garbage bags and let United Sanitation worry about it. I'd love to have a study done of as to how much less efficient the recycling center is now that there is no longer curbside collection. A frequent complaint is about "illegal dumping" at the recycling center. If they were to re-introduce curbside recycling collection and only have the center unlocked and available for personal drop-off at designated times when a DPW worker is there to check incoming contributions, then 100% of the problems could be averted. The money they spend NOW to police the premises, maintain surveillance equipment, pay for illegal trash removal, etc. would be better spent towards re-introducing the program.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,111,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Scr View Post
Hmmmm..quite interesting....quite interesting...indeed....good to know.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania