U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 01:18 PM

7,187 posts, read 8,196,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobeGMCgradintern View Post
Thanks for your added input ElijahAstin! It's really helpful for me hear about others experiences in the area so that I might have a better general idea of what I should expect and what I should look for prior to going for a visit in 4 to 6 weeks. I'm thinking that if I do manage to find a place in either Lewisburg or Bloomsburg (I know openings might be slim due to everyone already having their housing for next semester set up) I could still go up to Scranton once or twice a week for a sports team event or a fitness class I want to take. This seems to be a decent idea especially in light of you saying that traffic is pretty nonexistent. It also looks like I would also have access to Harrisburg and State College if I lived closer to GMC. They seem to present exciting opportunities for some weekend exploring. Does that sound reasonable?
Call prospective landlords now, ask when the leasing rush begins, and time your visit accordingly. Then, take a day to schedule some apartment tours and get a flavor for the area. Don't limit your search to property management companies with official online presences. Craigslist is your friend and can lead you to a unicorn of a deal.

How far you're willing to travel for extracurricular activities is up to you. I lived on the edge of downtown Wilkes-Barre, worked North of Hazleton, and would drive up 30-50 minutes from my job for after-work socialization 2-3 times weekly. Traffic was essentially non-existent between my home and job; I-81 can get somewhat backed up between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, but it's hardly congested by big-city standards.

Bloomsburg (or especially Lewisburg) to Scranton is more ambitious. I'd expect more weekend exploring than after-work adventures. My then-fiance lived in Harrisburg, so I ventured down I-81 on many a Friday, but I would also stay the entire weekend. Other times, I would travel back to family and friends in Philadelphia. These didn't have much influence on my home base, however. Weekend trips are fun and all, but unless you have obligations to family and friends that warrant regular visits, I'd focus on making my home base convenient to every day activities. If you have otherwise have nowhere to be on a Saturday, driving an extra half-hour to State College is no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Generally speaking it only takes the one right young person to make another young person's life happy - no matter where they are. Like I said previously; I am sure the medical center has many other young interns. Until the OP arrives and meets the staff; all else is simply speculation and possibly a little apprehension about the new job. Almost all of us were apprehensive of the unknown - but (in most cases) we survived and embraced our new situation.

I am not saying that the other areas mentioned are not great areas. I would just like to see the OP worry first about the job and let the socialization come when there is time.

I used to be a truck driver driving 100,000 miles/year. Now I work one job only one and a half miles from our home. I enjoy the five minute ride to work. Many in my area work two to three hours away. They spend almost a quarter of the day on the road and not too many are happy. They have no time to spend with their families or their friends. The closer you live to work; the more time you have to socialize.

PS: Geisinger, in Danville, saved my sight when I got a fish hook stuck in my left eye. I really like the hospital.
I think you know it's disingenuous to equate a twenty-five minute drive with a two to three hour commute. A fifty-minute round trip commute is 3.5% of your day, or forty minutes more than a ten-minute round trip. Barring preexisting extreme commuter burn-out (which I can understand being a truck driver would do), that's little to no practical difference.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-15-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM

9,394 posts, read 7,980,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I think you know it's disingenuous to equate a twenty-five minute drive with a two to three hour commute. A fifty-minute round trip commute is 3.5% of your day, or forty minutes more than a ten-minute round trip. Barring preexisting extreme commuter burn-out (which I can understand being a truck driver would do), that's little to no practical difference.
My argument is to make your life as easy as possible. We have plenty of highway work and adverse weather conditions - not to mention accidents. The closer; the easier and cheaper (usually considering that insurance, maintenance, fuel, and high mileage will reduce your vehicles value).

Old 04-15-2017, 02:16 PM

7,187 posts, read 8,196,853 times
Quote:
My argument is to make your life as easy as possible. We have plenty of highway work and adverse weather conditions - not to mention accidents. The closer; the easier and cheaper (usually considering that insurance, maintenance, fuel, and high mileage will reduce your vehicles value).
I said before that my experiences were limited to I-81 between Greater Hazleton and Scranton, and if you know from personal experience that things are much different on I-80 west of Hazleton, please say so for the OP's benefit. Platitudes only go so far, whether yours or mine.

My daily commute from Central Wilkes-Barre to Drums was a breeze. There was a period of construction when I took 309 instead. Oh well, I drove 28 minutes instead of 22. I managed to get to and from work without incident during inclement weather, as well.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 1,891 times
Thanks again everyone! I'm feeling better about where to look into living! Of course the anxiety is here and probably will be for a while until I actually get out there and get settled into my new place, work and life. I appreciate all of the feedback! It's really been so helpful

Old 04-15-2017, 02:49 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,735,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobeGMCgradintern View Post
I am a young woman! I will certainly keep that in mind. I was actually thinking of maybe getting in contact with some of the new residents for potential roommates but maybe that isn't the most solid idea! Thanks for the recommendation! Would you suggest a realtor as the best option for looking at apartment or just try to wing it myself?

I believe that Geisinger keeps a list of nearby apartments for staff and students and could also list individuals wishing to find roommates. There are no large apartment complexes in that area so most available apartments will be in converted homes. Finding an apartment in Lewisburg proper is tough. This is by far the most desirable place to live in the central Susquehanna valley and the most expensive (you haven't indicated your rental range). Most of the apartment listings in that area will be in Sunbury or Milton, not the most desirable places to live. Northumberland and Selinsgrove (also a college town) are nicer. The newspaper serving that area is the Daily Item. Link to classified ads below.

The Daily Item | Classifieds | Real Estate - Rentals

Are you on Facebook? That is probably the best place to get information on housing for Geisinger staff and students. (I'm not a member of that site, but I see references in Google searches for Geisinger housing.)

Old 04-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Status: "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get! (Amish folk saying)" (set 21 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 5,043,196 times
Quote:
PS: Geisinger, in Danville, saved my sight when I got a fish hook stuck in my left eye. I really like the hospital.
You can add my own tribute to that story; The OB department at Geisinger is likely the only reason I'm here to write this tonight, and the late Dr. Leonard Bush (for whom a pavilion is named) caught and treated both my brother's clubbed feet and my own scoliosis. It's hard to maintain as strong a reputation in the age of lawsuit, but Geisinger will always have our gratitude.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:21 AM

9,394 posts, read 7,980,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
You can add my own tribute to that story; The OB department at Geisinger is likely the only reason I'm here to write this tonight, and the late Dr. Leonard Bush (for whom a pavilion is named) caught and treated both my brother's clubbed feet and my own scoliosis. It's hard to maintain as strong a reputation in the age of lawsuit, but Geisinger will always have our gratitude.
I really liked Dr. Notz at Geisinger - he did a great job!

My fishing partner originally took me to Pocono and they simply put a patch over my eye so I would not make anybody sick. The only thing they did right was to send me to Danville. Unfortunately I had the spinner in my eye for seven hours before Dr. Notz removed it. He is partially retired or maybe fully retired now? He loves to fish so we shared many stories. He actually took the picture that you see if you hit on my name. His father belonged to the exclusive Blooming Grove camp and the camp, that I belong to, owns lands close.

Glad to hear that you also trust and have confidence in their work.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:49 PM

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give an update. I visited the area recently and fell in love with Bloomsburg. I ended up signing a lease for an awesome apartment that day and am so excited to move in. Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 AM

2,142 posts, read 1,735,095 times
Good Luck and party hearty! P.S. Did you visit Lewisburg and State College?

Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Thanks so much! I did visit Lewisburg! It was really beautiful and I loved the main street but had a lot of difficulty finding rentals that were available, in my price range and within walking distance to small shops/restaurants. However, it's definitely a place I will be spending some time in while exploring the area after I move. I'm saving the trip to State College for after I move. The folks I swindled into driving the 8 hours roundtrip with me in a day would have had my head if I suggested we drive farther into PA for any reason other than to check out apartments hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania