U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 1,891 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Recently (yesterday), I was accepted into a Master's program at my state's university. I'm extremely excited about the program as I love the field of study and the fact that the program has a built in internship that pays for tuition and living expenses. When all is said and done, it's a free Master's degree with two years of experience in the field. We are all given placements in surrounding states and I was given Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, PA. I'm very excited about being given the opportunity to work at such a large campus as some of the other placements were at tiny hospitals with less work to be done. However, I am concerned about places to live. I am from a very small town in CT with not a whole lot going on and went to a large university in a rural area for undergrad. I am certainly used to the small town life but I am concerned that if I live too close to Danville there will be very few young people to make friends with. Could anyone please give me solid ideas of places to live that have a decent amount of young people and maybe some things to do? Of course, I would also like to live in a relatively safe area as well. I am willing to drive up to an hour one way to commute to the medical center. I know this sounds like a lot but I do a similar commute now with far more traffic than I would encounter in central PA. I was thinking about the Kingston area up near Wilkes-Barre because it seems safer than actual Wilkes-Barre but still allows access to some sort of social scene in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (if there is one?). It is also an hour closer to CT for times when I want to go home or visit friends in NYC and northern Jersey.

Please help me! I could really use some advice. I didn't have a choice in my placement but I love the program and believe that I could be really happy in Central PA if I make the right choices in terms of the location of my home base. I will be going out to look at the area in early June in order to find a place and sign a lease to move in before the semester begins in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 03:52 PM

7,187 posts, read 8,196,853 times
Have you looked into Bloomsburg? It's a college town just up the road from Danville.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:37 AM

9,394 posts, read 7,980,319 times
Do yourself a favor and think about this rationally. You mentioned Kingston, PA which would mean that you would easily spend over two hours a day commuting.

Your job you have to go to every day. You cannot be late otherwise you could be terminated. The closer you live to your new job (internship); the easier your life will be. Of course the Bloomsburg suggestion is still close at only seven or eight miles away. But thinking logically about this problem; I would think that it is best to be located in Danville for work and travel (when you fell like it) to be with others your same age. I also know that the Geisinger Medical Center is very large and I would be willing to bet that there are many young interns employed in the system. I would say to rent as close as possible originally, learn about your new area and surrounding areas; then make a move after you are familiar with the area and your new friends. Make it as easy as possible to succeed and not fail. You could ask your new employer for suggestions on housing - they might be of some help?

Old 04-15-2017, 04:57 AM
Status: "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get! (Amish folk saying)" (set 21 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 5,043,196 times
You should have no problems in Danville, Bloomsburg, Lewisburg or Selinsgrove; all of them have a young-and-mobile population. For weekends, State College is no further away than Wilkes-Barre. Rents are probably a bit steeper there, but I'd opt for Lewisburg as best of the bunch; lots off Connecticut license plates on the streets.

Wilkes-Barre is an older community, and quite a few of the locals have ties to New York, Philadelphia, or both, and commute on a weekly basis. Kingston has a small district of older apartment buildings popular with people in a "spare parts" situation, but moat people "on the way up" opt for the back Mountain area -- Dallas, Shavertown and Trucksville; OK, but not worth the commute.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:27 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll contact Geisinger and see what they can help with. I like the idea of Lewisburg and Bloomsburg a lot! And I suppose I could go up to WB/S on the weekends if I wanted. Thanks again!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:30 AM

2,142 posts, read 1,735,095 times
Are you male or female? If you are male, Geisinger is like Valhalla with lots of "country girl" type employees and nearby Bloomsburg U. is probably the top party school in the state. At Bucknell in Lewisburg, the coeds are brainier. If you are female, stay away from the residents and "fellows" at Geisinger. They're pretty horny as a bunch. Living in Lewisburg is your best option

Old 04-15-2017, 10:25 AM

I am a young woman! I will certainly keep that in mind. I was actually thinking of maybe getting in contact with some of the new residents for potential roommates but maybe that isn't the most solid idea! Thanks for the recommendation! Would you suggest a realtor as the best option for looking at apartment or just try to wing it myself?

Old 04-15-2017, 11:13 AM

7,187 posts, read 8,196,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do yourself a favor and think about this rationally. You mentioned Kingston, PA which would mean that you would easily spend over two hours a day commuting.

Your job you have to go to every day. You cannot be late otherwise you could be terminated. The closer you live to your new job (internship); the easier your life will be. Of course the Bloomsburg suggestion is still close at only seven or eight miles away. But thinking logically about this problem; I would think that it is best to be located in Danville for work and travel (when you fell like it) to be with others your same age. I also know that the Geisinger Medical Center is very large and I would be willing to bet that there are many young interns employed in the system. I would say to rent as close as possible originally, learn about your new area and surrounding areas; then make a move after you are familiar with the area and your new friends. Make it as easy as possible to succeed and not fail. You could ask your new employer for suggestions on housing - they might be of some help?
As a young professional who lived in NEPA for a year, it is important to find the right hub. If I-80 between Hazleton and Danville is anything like I-81 from Wilkes-Barre to Hazleton, "rush hour" traffic is a joke unless there's a severe accident or ongoing construction.

That said, I totally agree that commuting from Kingston to Danville daily would be insane. The Valley isn't exactly a booming metropolis, anyway, so the sacrifice far outweighs any potential gain. However upping the commute from five to 20 minutes so that OP can enjoy college town amenities and be near young, educated people her own age is well worth it.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:58 AM

Thanks for your added input ElijahAstin! It's really helpful for me hear about others experiences in the area so that I might have a better general idea of what I should expect and what I should look for prior to going for a visit in 4 to 6 weeks. I'm thinking that if I do manage to find a place in either Lewisburg or Bloomsburg (I know openings might be slim due to everyone already having their housing for next semester set up) I could still go up to Scranton once or twice a week for a sports team event or a fitness class I want to take. This seems to be a decent idea especially in light of you saying that traffic is pretty nonexistent. It also looks like I would also have access to Harrisburg and State College if I lived closer to GMC. They seem to present exciting opportunities for some weekend exploring. Does that sound reasonable?

Old 04-15-2017, 12:28 PM

9,394 posts, read 7,980,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
As a young professional who lived in NEPA for a year, it is important to find the right hub. If I-80 between Hazleton and Danville is anything like I-81 from Wilkes-Barre to Hazleton, "rush hour" traffic is a joke unless there's a severe accident or ongoing construction.

That said, I totally agree that commuting from Kingston to Danville daily would be insane. The Valley isn't exactly a booming metropolis, anyway, so the sacrifice far outweighs any potential gain. However upping the commute from five to 20 minutes so that OP can enjoy college town amenities and be near young, educated people her own age is well worth it.
Generally speaking it only takes the one right young person to make another young person's life happy - no matter where they are. Like I said previously; I am sure the medical center has many other young interns. Until the OP arrives and meets the staff; all else is simply speculation and possibly a little apprehension about the new job. Almost all of us were apprehensive of the unknown - but (in most cases) we survived and embraced our new situation.

I am not saying that the other areas mentioned are not great areas. I would just like to see the OP worry first about the job and let the socialization come when there is time.

I used to be a truck driver driving 100,000 miles/year. Now I work one job only one and a half miles from our home. I enjoy the five minute ride to work. Many in my area work two to three hours away. They spend almost a quarter of the day on the road and not too many are happy. They have no time to spend with their families or their friends. The closer you live to work; the more time you have to socialize.

PS: Geisinger, in Danville, saved my sight when I got a fish hook stuck in my left eye. I really like the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania