U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 AM

2,322 posts, read 3,323,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Mike,
I applaud you for your sensible and compassionate post. I happen to agree with you. I think people's priorities are out of balance. It's who has the biggest house, the nicest car, etc, forgetting what the real value of happiness is. When was the last time people shut off their computers and TV and spent time with family and friends- talking or just playing a board game. How about reading a book. So many people do not even read.

Growing pains absolutely. Unfortunately, sometimes you need a crisis to re-define what is life is all about.

Hat
Well said HighHat! Yes,alot of peoples priorities are out of whack,society and media are saying you must have all the latest gadgets.People are buying into this and living beyond their means,like alot of people were mislead with morgages they could not afford,but than again you should know how much you can afford and know better.foreclosures on the rise,down sizing of jobs, technology replacing jobs(token booth) metro cards(toll booth)E-Z pass,etc
In my opinion,alot of this technology is de-humanizing people,alot of the younger generation are lacking social skills,too busy on the computer,texting,video games,I really don't know at this time what can be done to boost this sad ecomony? any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 AM

994 posts, read 1,197,386 times
actually, its the younger generation and their tech savey that is going to pull the economy out of the slump the baby boomers have put us in. The baby boom generation is in power in many aspects but have not been able to keep up when it comes to different technological advancements in business, They still consider the IT shop a cost center and not a TCO inhibitor.

Tech is my line of work. I see the way global e commerce is turning twords web 2.0 and virtualization. The US is getting left behind.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:54 AM

27,382 posts, read 22,834,976 times
Huh?????????????????????????????????

unfourtunetly all the technology in the world hasnt found a way to repeal the good ole business cycle.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 AM

3,756 posts, read 5,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Well said HighHat! Yes,alot of peoples priorities are out of whack,society and media are saying you must have all the latest gadgets.People are buying into this and living beyond their means,like alot of people were mislead with morgages they could not afford,but than again you should know how much you can afford and know better.foreclosures on the rise,down sizing of jobs, technology replacing jobs(token booth) metro cards(toll booth)E-Z pass,etc
In my opinion,alot of this technology is de-humanizing people,alot of the younger generation are lacking social skills,too busy on the computer,texting,video games,I really don't know at this time what can be done to boost this sad ecomony? any suggestions?
Good perspective Coartist, I make the analogy of children playing in the neighborhood. When I grew up all the kids played well together outdoors free of computers, games, etc. We used our imaginations. We made our own skateboards with wood and the wheels from roller skates. I do not see children playing outdoors anymore, too much telelvision and computer. You are right, today social skills are lacking. I do not know what can be done to boost the economy. I can say that when we went for a mortgage, we got what we could afford. We were taught if you don't have the money do not buy it. Today, people think they have an automatic entitlement to things the rest of us worked for.

Hat

Old 03-08-2008, 10:07 AM

27,382 posts, read 22,834,976 times
yep i agree. the internet passes news , ideas and information to the masses now so quickly that you got people running off with all kind of half baked ideas and getting themselves into financial trouble because they only understood 1/2 the info and heard someone else made lots of money this way

Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,457,926 times
Quote:
Good perspective Coartist, I make the analogy of children playing in the neighborhood. When I grew up all the kids played well together outdoors free of computers, games, etc. We used our imaginations. We made our own skateboards with wood and the wheels from roller skates. I do not see children playing outdoors anymore, too much telelvision and computer. You are right, today social skills are lacking. I do not know what can be done to boost the economy. I can say that when we went for a mortgage, we got what we could afford. We were taught if you don't have the money do not buy it. Today, people think they have an automatic entitlement to things the rest of us worked for.

Hat
Very true, I agree. What we are really lacking to pull ourselves out of this down turn is imagination. IMO we lost that as a society. e-gadgets do everything for us these days, adults and kids don't have to 'THINK' anymore. Modern e-devices do it all. Our children's language is becoming mnemonic in nature, i.e. lol, bfb, u2k, etc. For that matter our children can't even dress themselves anymore. Clothes 3x to big and falling off themselves. Hats pulled down just above their eyes. Who are they hiding from...maybe themselves. People with the least 'blink' themselves like Hollywood stars. Years ago we used speech to communicate to our friends who lived next door or a block over. Today our kids use key strokes to talk to kids and predators next door or a state or country away even. Progress has a price. We are paying heavily for it and for each subsequent generation the entrance fee is getting higher and higher. e-commerce is great for replacing good old fashion American ingenuity and hard work. Companies no longer want the brightest and best they want the 'cheapest' brightest and best. And that no loner means USA anymore.

We are paying the highest tax rates for our public schools and getting the least from them. We are paying the highest price for health care and getting sick over it. We are becoming a nation Dependant on the Government to help us in our daily lives, for food, shelter, utilities, and spending money. At one point this will break all of us.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:52 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,923,890 times
One thing I think the internet has brought back in a positive way is reading and writing. Without it, the kids would just be playing video games and watching TV. What we do need to stress to these youngsters is to write proper english. If we let too many of them write bad slang then it will become the norm and our culture may become at risk.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:06 PM

25,888 posts, read 44,198,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
One thing I think the internet has brought back in a positive way is reading and writing. Without it, the kids would just be playing video games and watching TV. What we do need to stress to these youngsters is to write proper english. If we let too many of them write bad slang then it will become the norm and our culture may become at risk.
If it's any consolation I actually text in complete sentences while using capitalization and proper punctuation (while driving though!)

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-08-2008 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: A Typo! How Ironic in a Reply Regarding Grammatical Proficiency! LOL!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 PM

177 posts, read 55,427 times
It seems a lot of people just try to foucus on the negative.
Instead of complaing what you don't have,be happy for how much you do have.
Enough of the half glass empty.
Too many philophers.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,481,408 times
Quote:

Hat
I agree. My son is 9 and I just don't allow him to sit and "zombie out" on the TV or video games if its nice out. In the winter we go snowboarding and take the quads out and enjoy the outdoors. When the weather is nice we race BMX out in Newton Ransom, head down to the shore at least 2 times a month in the summer and see old friends, take the boat out fishing, etc.

Alot of my sons friends parents use the electronic babysitters just too much and I wasn't raised that way. Parents need to have a very active role with their kids and that is what is really missing in todays society.

My wife and I are lucky I guess in the respect that we have worked our asses off to stay debt free. We use our cards but they are never more then we can pay off every month. We pay cash or check for just about everything. If we don't have the money at that moment and can't pay for it in 1 month we don't buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania