U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM

24 posts, read 5,677 times

Advertisements

Indoor Malls of course are declining but strip malls with new retailers located near luxury apartments are being built in many emerging and existing markets, There was only one indoor shopping mall built in 2016 and I believe that was in Sarasota Florida, a place were many Jersey folk with pensions go to retire. But there is new retailers targeting millennials and are popping all over the US. NEPA isn't seeing that new millennial appeal growth and you will see in 10 years that is really gonna be the demise of the area. You will see a lot of young people leaving the area to greener pastures finding the "cool place to live" As far as if indoor malls are totally dead, i know of some Indoor malls anchored by KOHLS, Dicks Sporting goods, Trader Joes are booming! But thats in places like Orlando, Tampa, Austin, Nashville, Denver and Reno and that have some serious emergence the last few years.

You can read articles but trust me its not all doom and gloom in the Retail industry. There is just some rural declining markets and existing markets that are not adjusting well to new the new consumer in America.

Last edited by tb1981; 05-16-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 01:14 PM

47 posts, read 41,959 times
As far as robots and manufacturing that's true. But it's also true with distribution centers, apparently some Amazon distribution centers are fully automated. I wouldn't look to distribution centers as providing many jobs.

In any case years ago like op said, the Schuylkill mall seemed to be thriving so whatever happens there now there's no way it should be seen as any kind of progress.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM

I just heard from a reliable source in the Skook, that the plans are now a retirement community. The entire mall will be demolished by years end.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:22 PM

47 posts, read 41,959 times
A retirement community? I don't know, the old folks are really gonna love the winters with all the cold wind up there. Sure seems like better locations could be found for something like that.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:38 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,359,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
A retirement community? I don't know, the old folks are really gonna love the winters with all the cold wind up there. Sure seems like better locations could be found for something like that.
My guess is the target customers are people who have lived in the area forever, and don't want to leave...they'd love having someone else shovel the snow...and hate the heat in FL

Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 1,511,729 times
Having grown up in NEPA (Scranton) and lived there for 28 or so years, exploring the malls of northeastern and central PA was quite interesting, including the Lycoming Mall, Stroud Mall, Laurel Mall, and Schuylkill Mall. By far the worst of the bunch seemed to be the Schuylkill Mall. I would try to stop there when going to see state playoff basketball games at Martz Hall in Pottsville and it seemed everytime I visited, there were less and less stores, pretty sad.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 1,511,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
My guess is the target customers are people who have lived in the area forever, and don't want to leave...they'd love having someone else shovel the snow...and hate the heat in FL
There was a statistic awhile back that mentioned Pennsylavania had the second most senior citiziens per capita only behind Florida, not sure if that is still the case, but it means that a large number of older people, who were probably born in PA (back in the day) and lived their whole lives there will also die there. My two parents will be a part of that statistic.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,359,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There was a statistic awhile back that mentioned Pennsylavania had the second most senior citiziens per capita only behind Florida, not sure if that is still the case, but it means that a large number of older people, who were probably born in PA (back in the day) and lived their whole lives there will also die there. My two parents will be a part of that statistic.
Funnily PA is also 2nd to FL in number of active concealed weapons permits ...coincidence?

Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 PM

14,261 posts, read 11,152,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Actually, the entire country is in a retail commercial tailspin. Macy's, Kmart, and Sears are called "anchor stores" for a reason, and when they leave the mall, the mall fails.

There's a mall near where I work in suburban Morris County, NJ that only has 5 stores left in it. I honestly don't know how they pay the light bill. And this is not an economically depressed area by a longshot.

A Third Of All Shopping Malls Are Projected To Close As 'Space Available' Signs Go Up All Over America | Zero Hedge
Which mall in Morris County are you referring to? The only one I can think of Rockaway Mall and while it may not be as hot as it used to be, it's still chugging along. Retail is struggling everywhere, but Northern NJ is one of the stronger markets.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:24 PM

Looking at the big picture, where I grew up Schuylkill County is rough and its the bottom line and will continue to be in the future it seems. The state and local government are not helping things with the increased Gas tax at the state level and the school district taxes always increasing at the local level even though the population has dropped. The labor pool is full of young people coming up that have drug and alcohol issues. This means Bringing new business into the area will continue to be difficult. Revitalization efforts always seemed to be hindered by the corrupt local governments. Out migration in the Lower Coal region will continue and will increase in the Wilkes Barre Scranton area as well as the Schuylkill County, Shamokin and Hazelton areas. The best and brightest will probably not stay in NEPA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania