U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM

2,180 posts, read 1,765,478 times

Advertisements

There were lots of industries other than coal that had big operations in the southern anthracite coal fields. Take Shamokin as an example. Not only could Shamokin boast of the "biggest mountain man made," it also had one of the biggest industrial building in the USA: The Eagle Silk Mill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peachh...7623573993372/

Other industries were the Walnut Hosiery Complex

Old Shamokin Views - LarryDsphotos

the Howeso Silk Mill

F&S Brewery

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peachh...7623573993372/

And Kreisl Packing Co. (f/k/a Brest Packing) producers of Strawberry Brand Hams and Bacon. Note: This was a big operation. If you stood towards the back of the plant, you could hear the pigs screaming as they were slaughtered on the 4th floor (a/k/a "the killing floor")

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 PM

33,012 posts, read 32,652,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1981 View Post
more than a problem than that! Millennials in cities live in Luxury apartment complexes packed in like sardines all over the country! As far as coal usage, with production efficiencies much less miners are needed for Anthracite. And buyers are mostly in the Far East with Anthracite Demand. Domestic home heating with anthracite screeched to halt in the mid to late 80s when people started to get rid of there coal furnaces for oil.
People started getting rid of coal for oil in the 20's..... The market for anthracite is pretty narrow. Semi rural to rural homes, 30's to 50's in age, they own their home and have a middle class income. This is my website, I would suggest checking out the locations of some the members.

Anthracite Coal Forum - NEPA Crossroads

Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 AM

3,850 posts, read 8,296,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
People started getting rid of coal for oil in the 20's..... The market for anthracite is pretty narrow. Semi rural to rural homes, 30's to 50's in age, they own their home and have a middle class income. This is my website, I would suggest checking out the locations of some the members.
Also remote from retail natural gas distribution. I'm not sure many folks realize how spotty gas pipes are in eastern PA. I could (but don't) get piped gas at camp in Tioga Co., but can't at home in Dauphin County's wealthiest zip. Probably the people in the seven-figure mansion behind me can't even figure out where an occasional winter-time sulfurous waft comes from.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,835,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Truer words were never spoken. It's really sad that certain dishonest, corrupt, contemptible politicians have scammed good hard working Americans into believing that coal mining and manufacturing jobs will come back. Not gonna happen.
I have relatives who live in Schuylkill County who realize that the coal industry isn't going to come roaring back and shuttered mines and factories aren't suddenly going to reopen; however, they liked the idea of refreshed trade deals and the idea of creating a favorable business climate that puts more emphasis on manufacturing in America. Maybe they just didn't like what the other side was proposing, you know? Not everyone is stupid.

Anyway, I grew up in that area and like most, moved away because of the lack of jobs in my field. I didn't want to commute to Harrisburg or Allentown to work. It was a great place to grow up. Even though there are houses and neighborhoods that look half abandoned, generally the people who live there would give you the shirt off of their back if you needed it. I think Pottsville has some potential to remake itself and hopefully it can. I've been interested in following the group trying to spearhead downtown revitalization and some of the new businesses have been successful. If I could find a 'work from home' type of job, I'd consider living there again.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Truer words were never spoken. It's really sad that certain dishonest, corrupt, contemptible politicians have scammed good hard working Americans into believing that coal mining and manufacturing jobs will come back. Not gonna happen.
Do you think people are idiots? The people that own these companies and the thousands of people making real good livings working for the coal industry and the other industries it supports are not under the impression Trump is some kind of magic bullet.

What they are quite aware of is Trump hasn't promised to bankrupt the industry or put them out of a job.

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

24 posts, read 5,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I have relatives who live in Schuylkill County who realize that the coal industry isn't going to come roaring back and shuttered mines and factories aren't suddenly going to reopen; however, they liked the idea of refreshed trade deals and the idea of creating a favorable business climate that puts more emphasis on manufacturing in America. Maybe they just didn't like what the other side was proposing, you know? Not everyone is stupid.

Anyway, I grew up in that area and like most, moved away because of the lack of jobs in my field. I didn't want to commute to Harrisburg or Allentown to work. It was a great place to grow up. Even though there are houses and neighborhoods that look half abandoned, generally the people who live there would give you the shirt off of their back if you needed it. I think Pottsville has some potential to remake itself and hopefully it can. I've been interested in following the group trying to spearhead downtown revitalization and some of the new businesses have been successful. If I could find a 'work from home' type of job, I'd consider living there again.

I grew up there in the 90s and it was a terrible place to grow up. We hardly any any gyms, recreation centers or anything. Drinking was the main thing kids did. Now there is some national brands at least that moved into the area and some local start ups for recreation. And a few new parks like the basketball court in pottsville, thats actually modern and pretty cool.

There is less population in current coal region in 2017 and they have more there now for recreation and the population is less in most of the area.
The malls were much better and robust in the 90s however, but no doubt there was was favorable national retail climate (less eCommerce) and more population. 20 years ago the downtowns were still dead especially Northern Schuylkill County. Pottsville was a little better back then but worse off since then.

The corruption at the school district and local government was always there in the skook and the rest of the area,and it will probably never ever change. I mean in the last few years Mahanoy City officials were investigated recently for theft and of course Shenandoah had that huge coverup scandal a few years ago. Shamokin went bankrupt already and a few other towns have crumbling city budgets.

Taxes went up over the years and goods and services got worse. The only thing that improved was there is more gyms and places to work out and some new parks like the new one on Peacock. Everything else like shopping, infrastructure, blight and drug problems got much worse.

Babyboomers dying off and slumloards buying up the row homes and half doubles will probably sociologically change this place forever.

Old Today, 06:54 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,835,169 times
I grew up in that area in the 80s and 90s as well. In fact, we probably know each other.

With that said, my experience was different. I didn't participate in underage drinking and usually social activities with my friends included bike riding, hiking, swimming, or hanging out at Dunkin' Donuts (yeah, exciting, I know!) or friends houses. I received a decent education even though my school district wasn't regarded as a top district in the state. Summers were amazing. I played sports, maybe not well, but it was nice that sports were available, including baseball, soccer, swimming, and water polo. Crime was low and even though the area has changed a bit, I would say crime is still relatively low.

I still think some places have potential, such as Pottsville and I think it was a great place to grow up, even with its flaws.

Old Today, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
or hanging out at Dunkin' Donuts (yeah, exciting, I know!)
We used to booze in the parking lot near the Dunkin Donuts. The cops knew where we were at and the we knew where they were at. We never caused any trouble so they left us alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania