U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:27 PM

23 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

It seems like this once more populated and pride filled area Where I grew up in the 90s, is becoming full of bad news.
Does anyone think this area will get better or worse over the next 10 years? I am 36 now and live in Delaware. I visit maybe once every year on the holidays and it is kind of depressing to see where I grew up decline as it as. The Schuylkill Mall in Frackville which was almost full when I was in High School in 1999 is going to close soon! Some of the towns in the area such as Mahanoy City, Pottsville, Shamokin, Minersville, Ashland, Tamaqua, Shenandoah and Frackville lost 15-25 percent of there population since then!

The area seems to have a huge drug problem, a problem with blighted properties and a lack of good employment opportunities , This contributes to a high out migration rate. Those ugly new windmills and being surrounded by Cogeneration Plants don't help set the scenery, Also It does not help the old people who took pride in the area are dying off and it seems like are replaced by local druggies or unsavory characters from Northern Jersey, Philadelphia or New York City. The reasons for this could range from the local prisons, slum lord recruiting to the drug trade,.

This place is full of local government corruption which doesn't help local revitalization efforts and there is clearly not many shopping or recreational opportunities. It seems like the educated people who do stay in the Area had jobs handled to them through State politics or become teachers at the declining small school districts.

The area is near I 81 and 80 which makes it a good place logistically. But it seems distribution companies who do stay there just hire tons of temps and bring most of the management from out of the area. Is there anything that could be done to stop the decline here? Coal was kind of dead for 40 plus years so lets not blame that! There is clearly more sociological contributing factors in this region that are contributing to the decline.

Last edited by tb1981; 05-12-2017 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 02:19 PM

47 posts, read 41,444 times
I live near Scranton but I've been to the mall many times. So apparently they are going to demolish it and North Point says they have big plans? I don't know but that makes me mad because I think they are just going to demolish it and try to sell the land for more than they paid which apparently was only around 2 million. What else could the be planning? I'm sure it's not going to be a big factory with many new jobs, even if so I'm sure there are many locations for that where you don't have to demolish a perfectly good building. IMO I don't think they should even be allowed a permit to demolish unless it really is for something really good.

Last edited by F.Jenco; 05-14-2017 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: left something out

Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 AM

I was thinking distribution center. That is what north point usually seems to do. And logistically near 80 and 81 it would make sense. new shopping there wouldn't what so ever.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 AM

There are already a bunch of distribution centers in the area, down the road at Buck Run and near Hazleton with much easier access.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:26 PM

They own a warehouse in Gilberton from what I hear. Warehousing and Distribution is what they concentrate on.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,503,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
IMO I don't think they should even be allowed a permit to demolish unless it really is for something really good.

The building will collapse on its own, in a while, if they don't demolish it. You'd be surprised what a few feet of snow on a flat roof can do if you don't clean it off. And nobody cleans the roof on an abandoned building.

At least think of the volunteer firefighters who have to go in and rescue the drug addicts when an abandoned building catches fire or collapses.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:26 PM

There's a lot of empty warehouse space in NEPA, don't really think another warehouse is going do that much good or even another distribution center. They might build a warehouse type space and it might remain empty or end up empty in the near future. I don't have any solutions, some good paying factory jobs would be good but that's not going to happen with who bought the mall.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,396,819 times
Retail shopping in general is collapsing nationwide. Brick & mortar retail in the days of Amazon is a losing proposition. Macy's, Sears, etc are finding out the hard way that online relevance is the only way to survive. Unfortunately, the loss of brick & mortar retailers also means loss of jobs. Not necessarily high paying jobs, but jobs nonetheless.

Manufacturing jobs aren't coming back. The manufacturing companies that do set up shop anywhere will be more robotic than anything else so jobs created will be minimal.

This is happening in many places around the country. I believe it hits NEPA particularly hard because of the proximity to the elements coming out of the NYC & Philly metro areas looking for cheap housing, low taxes, and "new turf". I grew up in NEPA and knowing what it's become over the past several decades is quite sad to see.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM

That is not true to be honest here in Northern Delaware Retail and new construction are booming. Also I recently traveled to Nashville Tenn and earlier this year Tampa Florida for work and there is commercial building everywhere. Strip malls and luxury apartments going up every where! Living in a declining area you just see nothingness everyday, but its not the entire county in a retail commercial tailspin. Macys Kmart and Sears are on a decline everywhere. But in emerging markets there is plenty of new retailers that are taking their place and appealing to new people with purchasing power. Ecommerce is taking some market share but in good healthy markets; trust me there is new companies replacing the stale 1978 marketing that Sears and Kmart feature.

I do agree that manufacturing really is not coming back, Robots will create the efficiencies companies will need in the upcoming years in order to cut payrolls. Any Auto manufacturing that does come back will most likely be in non union states, and thats not good for NEPA. Like Toyota does in the South who hires Kelly Services to onboard new workers and prevent them from not paying benefits for 6 months.

Last edited by tb1981; 05-16-2017 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 12:14 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,503,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1981 View Post
... its not the entire county in a retail commercial tailspin. Macys Kmart and Sears are on a decline everywhere.
Actually, the entire country is in a retail commercial tailspin. Macy's, Kmart, and Sears are called "anchor stores" for a reason, and when they leave the mall, the mall fails.

There's a mall near where I work in suburban Morris County, NJ that only has 5 stores left in it. I honestly don't know how they pay the light bill. And this is not an economically depressed area by a longshot.

A Third Of All Shopping Malls Are Projected To Close As 'Space Available' Signs Go Up All Over America | Zero Hedge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania