U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 231 times

Advertisements

I moved to Shohola PA (Pike County) from NJ almost 15 years ago to be near the river. It's a great area with great people.

What I didn't know is that home owner associations can sue you, even if you aren't a member, and they have deep pockets so when they lose they just appeal.

I'm going into my 7th year in a situation like I just described above. I know of a lot of other similar situations so it is not only me, but, I only speak for myself.

If you'd like to buy a home in, OR NEAR, a home owners association consider doing some of these things:

- Talk to several of the neighbors and ask about the best and worst things that have happened since they've lived there.
- Specifically ask about lawsuits.
- Go online and check the dockets for lawsuits.
- Inquire with neighbors about WHY a home is in foreclosure if there is one in the area.
- Do your own title search on the property you want to buy.
- Go to a township meetings and see what, if anything, people are screaming about.
- Check online newspapers for articles related to your potential new area.

I wish that I had done those things. Here is why.....

My property has never been in an HOA. I have a 110 year old easement that we did not know about when we bought it. We wouldn't have bought this home we known about that.

The courts very correctly say I owe $10.00 a year because of a 1966 deed and how our development is NOT legally connected to any HOA. We wouldn't have bought this home if we had known about that $10.00 either, but at least our deeds are being legally upheld in court.

As it all boils down, the neighboring HOA is currently appealing me to the Superior Court of PA, over $30.00. That is not a typo. That is $30.00, as in three $10.00 bills.

They can't win, but, the money they are spending for lawyer fees is not coming out of their own pockets like ours is. It's membership money and the membership appears to know very very little about this case.

Don't fool yourself into thinking any government agency or politician will help you. HOAs are non-profit corporations and everyone knows it's a can of worms.

I was planning to sell my home this year after we got the Court of Common Pleas judgement, but, now we can't because of the appeal to the Superior Court.

Well.....unless some of you fine home buying folks would like to make me an offer!!??

Does anyone want to take over ownership of this HOA Horror Story!!??

Even though my property rights are being trampled on, as far as I know I still have a first amendment right so I made a website about the situation. Read the pages in order. It makes more sense that way because you have to go back 110 years to get to the problem today.

[url]www.ShoholaPa.com[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania