U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 AM

9,394 posts, read 7,980,319 times

Advertisements

About one month ago I was approaching a side road when one of my school district's municipal suburban's drove through the stop sign at about 45 to 50 mph. Keep in mind that our local speed limit is 25 mph. I know that most of us do not drive 25 in the 25 mph. But is 45 or 50 mph acceptable for vehicles, that we taxpayers pay for, and are associated with the school? About a week after this 'event' I called the administration and complained - I really did not want to get anybody fired and I did not get the license number of the vehicle. It did bother me that any driver could drive through a stop sign so fast on roads that I normally travel. Two times since the stop sign I have seen more speeding SD suburban's; it could be the same driver?

I also know that this subject could easily be a subject for our "Politics and Other Controversies" forum. But this did not happen Nationally; it happed here in NEPA. There is something about seeing any school district's logo on the side of a speeding vehicle. Have others here been upset when seeing similar speeding vehicles? Have you ever reported a speeding school bus or other vehicle? My school district is a large SD and has at least half a dozen suburban's for, I guess, school business. Should taxpayers pay for vehicles if they do not follow the rules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:30 AM

3,080 posts, read 2,483,310 times
Keep calling the district every time you see this happen. Bring it up at a school board meeting if you have to.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Keep calling the district every time you see this happen. Bring it up at a school board meeting if you have to.
Actually two of the times I have seen them speed through our residential areas have been close to 10:00 PM. I do not think they were speeding to school business.

Like I said before; I really do not want to get anybody fired. I just think that it is inappropriate for any vehicle, with a school logo on the side, to flagrantly break our driving laws. It reflects badly on the school and the whole practice of allowing some individuals the right to drive 'company' vehicles.

PS I'm glad you agree.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 16,825,954 times
I agree with you. This person seems to think that after dark no one will see him or care. While 45 or 50 in a 25 is excessive, blowing the stop was worse.

Is this a perpetually hazardous driver? Is he using the district vehicle for nefarious activities? As jtab suggested, I'd report again.

Politics and Other Controversies is a scary place I rarely visit.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I agree with you. This person seems to think that after dark no one will see him or care. While 45 or 50 in a 25 is excessive, blowing the stop was worse.

Is this a perpetually hazardous driver? Is he using the district vehicle for nefarious activities? As jtab suggested, I'd report again.

Politics and Other Controversies is a scary place I rarely visit.
Most of our school busses do not do the 25 mph speed limit. Most do 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit and I am not saying that is bad (as long as nothing happens). Even our local law enforcement rarely does the 25 mph. 25 mph is way too slow for most areas. However, when kids or wildlife are around; then that speed seems appropriate - maybe even too fast depending on the circumstances. By the way; I have no radar or calibrated speedometer - just 2 to 3 million miles driving experience. In a court of law all I could say is: "In my opinion".

Do you or anybody else know why our schools maintain a small fleet of suburban's? Are they used by truant officers or just top school officials?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:28 AM

209 posts, read 52,410 times
PO.

I bet that your school district has a " media contact person whose job it is to speak on behalf of the organisation. ''

The local TV station will be interested in hearing from you about this situation. It sounds to me like this........Some school district employees are allowed to "take their work truck ' home at the end of the day, so the employee can be available after hours , if required. The problem is that the employees are not supervised as to the after hours use of those vehicles.

You should try this first, before going to the local news outlet.

Contact the school board, and ask to speak to the media relations person and lay out your complaint. Listen to the response. Decide if the answers are sensible or not. If you are getting the "run around "....go to the media, and explain your concerns to them.

The TV station news director may decide that this a story worth going after. They may assign a reporter and camera man to do some watching of the after hours use of the school board vehicles, by employees. This a situation that comes up time after time in many locations ....when employees think that the vehicle is theirs, to use as they wish. Oversight needs to be exercised.

The best "gotcha " would be video of the school board vehicle being used to go shopping, or to the lake, on the week end. Or as I once saw and videoed .......a city truck being used to do a household moving job for a city manager . With city employees, on a week day.

xxx.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do you or anybody else know why our schools maintain a small fleet of suburban's? Are they used by truant officers or just top school officials?
LOL I don't think we have "truant officers" anymore. We have "school district police" and in the ESASD they drive regular police-type vehicles (not sure if they are Crown Vic or Chevy Caprice).

It's possible that at 10:00PM a custodian who was "on call" had to drive down to a building because an alarm was going off. Maybe the guy was pissed about it and that's why he was driving aggressively. That may not be an excuse but it's a possible reason.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
LOL I don't think we have "truant officers" anymore. We have "school district police" and in the ESASD they drive regular police-type vehicles (not sure if they are Crown Vic or Chevy Caprice).

It's possible that at 10:00PM a custodian who was "on call" had to drive down to a building because an alarm was going off. Maybe the guy was pissed about it and that's why he was driving aggressively. That may not be an excuse but it's a possible reason.
When I was young I was a reckless, fast, driver. But that was before we actually had cars on our roads. However; I feel like the person in the glass house.

I will keep my eyes open for this driver and preferably I will eventually catch the license number. I am almost hoping that somebody from my SD sees this forum and the problem corrects itself - without additional actions on my part. The last time I spotted this vehicle the fuse for the taillights failed and they lost all taillights.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:13 PM

209 posts, read 52,410 times
jtab.

I had to laugh when you wrote that you thought that your local Police drive Chevy Caprice models as patrol cars........

I sure hope not as the last year for their production was in 1996.... 20 years ago. grin.

I know that some counties try to get the most out of their fleets, but that would be way beyond frugality.

xxx.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
I had to laugh when you wrote that you thought that your local Police drive Chevy Caprice models as patrol cars........

Glad you got a laugh but don't laugh too hard when one pulls you over. GM produced the Chevy Caprice for fleet-only sales until February 2017.

GM to Discontinue Chevrolet Caprice PPV - Top News - Law Enforcement - Top News - Government Fleet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: