U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:44 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,016,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhilly View Post
Bear Creek Lakes on rt 903 - also in that area are Towamensing Trails is similar. Mt Pocahontas is right there too & seems nice no lake but a pool, likewise Penn Forest Streams and a few other, smaller, developments are in that stretch. Affordable properties that need some work pop up - overall Carbon County taxes are lower than Monroe. Dues are not as high as some of the big gated communities. Also, a + for me there is lots of non-community recreation in the area - state parks w/lakes, skiing, rafting, hiking. This is what attracted me here I'm not sure on the trip there from QNS it's the one part of the Poconos closer to Philly probably some areas in Pike Co that make sense for you as well. I don't think it's too bad a drive I'm counting on my NY fam to come use the house. Off to Astoria this afternoon!
I'm off of 903 in Pleasant Valley West. My taxes are near $6,000 per year (school/property). My house was also not an older fixer upper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 1,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I'm off of 903 in Pleasant Valley West. My taxes are near $6,000 per year (school/property). My house was also not an older fixer upper.
Lots of larger, newer houses up there right?- it's the improvement assessment that gets you. At least it appears that houses in that area have real $ value to match the tax assessments - I have seen many listings where the taxes seemed way out of whack with the actual value of the home (especially in Monroe). Most of the listings I looked at had taxes between 2k and 2.5k but as said were mostly smaller & older ranches/chalets. Big incentive to not over-improve though - god knows if I added a garage and a 2nd bathroom

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,016,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhilly View Post
Lots of larger, newer houses up there right?- it's the improvement assessment that gets you. At least it appears that houses in that area have real $ value to match the tax assessments - I have seen many listings where the taxes seemed way out of whack with the actual value of the home (especially in Monroe). Most of the listings I looked at had taxes between 2k and 2.5k but as said were mostly smaller & older ranches/chalets. Big incentive to not over-improve though - god knows if I added a garage and a 2nd bathroom
It's a mix. My street has several homes less than 10 years old and the others nearly 30. My neighbor who built in 2006 for $275k just sold for $179. Took a huge wash. My house I bought out of foreclosure. Was a steal. Market value is higher than my neighbor who took a wash. The area imo can't support some of the prices you see, especially in Bear Creek.

Coming from NYC, they're asking NYC housing prices with higher taxes. I pay more out here than I did in one of the nicest areas of the Bronx for a house that sat on half an acre of prime land.

Old Today, 02:57 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,987,777 times
About 40 years ago we bought our house on five acres for $77K. The house was five years old at the time we purchased the house. Our son went to school in the Pocono MT SD and it was a decent school at that time. We live only about two miles from the school. In all of our 70 years in Monroe we have never had any personal vandalism or crime. I was in business for five years and lost about $1,500 to fraud - but that was nothing that I did not recover from.

Yes our property taxes have gone up about ten fold from the time we first bout our house. My wages have also gone up and it is nothing that I cannot still pay. We also do not have a swimming pool or did we make any major renovations.

Now, as far as the 'to HOA or not' question: We have never been in any HOA. I see good points and bad points about being inside a controlled community. Of course you want to make sure you are not inside a controlled community with criminals. However; communities that have strict, enforced, regulations can help protect your property values.

One of the worst problems, outside any 'controlled' community; would be the people that don't care. They don't maintain and do everything to degrade their property and your property value as a neighbor. From what I have seen over the years contractors are no blessing next door. They can park heavy equipment and construction materials along side your property. The same can be said for owner/operators in commercial trucking. In the HOA these problems might not exist - but it depends on the regulations and enforcement. Burning, wood furnaces, campfires might also be prohibited inside the HOA - which could be a blessing to asthma sufferers.

Of course the good part about not being in the HOA's is that you have no dues and you only participate in recreational activities that you want to pay for. Of course you do have more 'freedom' - but still have to abide by local zoning ordinances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania