Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 6,018 times

Advertisements

My family and I are in talks of purchasing a vacation home. I've been searching post from pervious requests as well. I've notice a lot of people saying to stay out of a community bc of hoa fees and rules. I love the option of having a community pool and events for my kids. Do you still get those options in a non community? What are the pros and cons of a non community? Also I'm looking to invest no more than 80k for a home (we are handy so we will be looking for a fixer upper) with low taxes and low dues. I'm coming from queens so we are willing to travel no more than 2 1/2 hours each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 02:54 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,086,634 times
Most of the vacation homes in the Poconos are in PUDS (planned unit developments), which charge HOA fees. If you like swimming pools (outdoor and indoor), tennis courts, basketball and wallyball courts, social activities, boating, etc., you shouldn't mind HOA fees. There are plenty of foreclosed homes in these communities. Though not as cheaply priced as a few years ago, they are still very reasonable.

What you need to be concerned about is the criminal element that exists in some communities and crimes committed by hoodlums from the NYC area, who find unoccupied houses in some communities easy pickings.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:48 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,207,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

What you need to be concerned about is the criminal element that exists in some communities and crimes committed by hoodlums from the NYC area, who find unoccupied houses in some communities easy pickings.
yup, Lazy azzed Cockroaches are opportunistic and will always find a free and easy way to survive...Martz Busses, while providing a much needed service, are also bringing in this useless vermin to Nepa.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-01-2017 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: removed political comment - please keep it local

Old 05-31-2017, 09:53 PM

That really does scares me. I'm just afraid to be locked in a hoa but at the same time would love to have the amenities. Can you recommend a community under 3k with taxes and dues combined? We are coming from queens.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 AM

5,287 posts, read 6,086,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrivera8895 View Post
That really does scares me. I'm just afraid to be locked in a hoa but at the same time would love to have the amenities. Can you recommend a community under 3k with taxes and dues combined? We are coming from queens.
Sorry, no. If you buy within the East Stroudsburg or Delaware Valley School Districts, taxes will be high and they keep going up. Wallenpaupack Area taxes are a little cheaper. The more amenities a community has, the higher the HOA fees. Gated communities have even higher HOAs.

Sullivan County, NY has a lot of tax sale properties (non-community) that are going up for bid very soon. Check it out. A do-it-yourselfer will find real bargains in the county, but alas, taxes are not cheap either.

https://www.nysauctions.com/servlet/...auctionId=2091

Old 06-01-2017, 09:47 AM

9 posts, read 8,187 times
I am just in agreement to purchase in a community in Carbon County off 903 coming in close to that # - but it is a smaller/older house. I have seen a few other houses in the 903 communities that were in that range (admittedly my search was pretty limited). Many of the homes I have seen with attractive list prices have surprisingly high taxes or HOA fees. Real Estate listings often don't show the Tax/HOA fee online but the MLS link a realtor sends you should show both. As annoying as it is to deal with realtors - this info is hidden for a reason in the ads, it would scare you off!

Old 06-01-2017, 10:11 AM

That's what I'm noticing. You would think for the sake of the buyer/seller/realtor that there would be a complied list of all communities with up to date dues and an estimated tax price. I do not want to be vacation home broke. I'd like the option to go away with family as well as having a small place in the poconos.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You would think for the sake of the buyer/seller/realtor that there would be a complied list of all communities with up to date dues and an estimated tax price.
Ha! I feel like the Realtors like to hold the power of mystery The communities are particularly a hard nut to crack as it is tough to even get in them to look around on your own if they are gated, and hard to know about their financial health. I found this site to be useful along with other internet info - if I repeatedly read bad things from multiple sources i took as it fair warning.

I think/hope I ended up with a good balance (fingers crossed/ deal pending) - I was looking more for a ski-house/weekend getaway not too much into the "community" but a lake and/or pool seemed like a must for guests/rental & gates make me uncomfortable. There are lots of recreation opportunities outside of the communities too hiking/lakes etc - Lake Wallenpaupack and Promised Land areas had nice value - they were a bit far from Philly and Skiing for me though.

I feel your pain my parameters were similar to yours - I wish I had more knowledge to share I zeroed in on 903 early due to the ez-pass interchange and proximity to skiing - dropped looking everywhere else but from NYC other places may make more sense (I am from QNS before Philly)

Old 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM

What community did you choose if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
What community did you choose if you don't mind me asking?
Bear Creek Lakes on rt 903 - also in that area are Towamensing Trails is similar. Mt Pocahontas is right there too & seems nice no lake but a pool, likewise Penn Forest Streams and a few other, smaller, developments are in that stretch. Affordable properties that need some work pop up - overall Carbon County taxes are lower than Monroe. Dues are not as high as some of the big gated communities. Also, a + for me there is lots of non-community recreation in the area - state parks w/lakes, skiing, rafting, hiking. This is what attracted me here I'm not sure on the trip there from QNS it's the one part of the Poconos closer to Philly probably some areas in Pike Co that make sense for you as well. I don't think it's too bad a drive I'm counting on my NY fam to come use the house. Off to Astoria this afternoon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania