U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

32 posts, read 2,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
I agree with the other poster- Scranton is a sewer.

It's dirty, crime-ridden, lots of drugs and boarded up houses, and an economy that's in the toilet. More stores close every day.

Avoid it.

Oooh. Gotcha. Yeah Scranton is definitely not the place we will be looking for our personal residence in. Do you think there are areas of Scranton that would be suited for purchasing rental properties though? Or is it too far gone in your opinion? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1981 View Post
Scranton is the Ritz Carlton compared to Southern NEPA places like Pottsville, Tamaqua, Shamokin, Shenandoah and Frackville. They cant even support chain restaurants that set up shop in the worst ghettos and smallest backwoods towns of America. What an American Tragedy. One mall in the coal region is closing, Schuylkill that's been open since 1980 and was almost at full capacity in 1995. Fairlane Mall in Pottsville is hardly treading water.
Yikes! That sounds awful! I appreciate your response and will add it to my notes! Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Mamadee,

Poster is 100 percent correct that entire Monroe County and Pocono area in general is a mess. Poor schools, influx of ny-nj thugs causing crime and gang issues run from there. Also avoid southern nepa. If you are doing NEPA as in Luzerne or Lackawanna County focus on back mountain,dallas,mountain top of Luzerne co and I recommended the Abingtons in Lackawanna County also some other decent places but id start there for simplicity.

Since miss alluded to it yes Scranton is a mess it just isn't desirable in any way. The university of Scranton is the only nice part about it. But just scratch that off the list.

I agree with Hellertown and Lehigh Valley in general. Primed for more growth while Scranton is looking like the Bronx lol.
Wonderful, helpful advice! Would you recommend Scranton as an area for purchasing a rental property, though? We want to buy a multifamily type unit in a city/busy area that will maintain renters... Should we look elsewhere? Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
You might want to look a little further south and west; counties like Columbia, Montour, Lycoming, Snyder and Union. this area is home to Bucknell University and a major hospital network (Geisinger - Danville), has a low crime rate, and taxes aren't too bad (yet?!) in most areas.

I excluded Northumberland County (Sunbury and Shamokin) because of its legacy of anthracite mining, but there are a couple of townships that aren't affected. The single biggest drawback is the unwarranted power of the public employee and teachers' unions in Pennsylvania politics which, unfortunately, you'll encounter everywhere.

Sounds interesting! I will absolutely look into those areas as well. Very good information... My husband is very opinionated on teacher's unions and politics in general so that might actually hold some important ground for him. Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepa76 View Post
Scranton is indeed a pit anymore. Witnessed a drug deal in front of my house as I was mowing my lawn this afternoon. On my street alone there are three drug dealers, three vacant bank reposessed homes, three homes cut into apartments that are filled with non-english speaking latino's, and one house with an ex gang member that was recently released from prison. We'd move and sell our house but we'd get nothing for it with the state that out of town landlords have turned our once middle class street into. The cops do nothing about the dealers either.
Yikes! I'm sorry to hear all of that... We have been very seriously considering purchasing rental property in Scranton... While crime is not of the utmost importance, we are concerned about the safety of our renters and things such as vandalism. Definitely some food for thought. Best wishes to you, in any event!

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1981 View Post
Still terrible ! Columbia County is a mess. In Columbia County They call Berwick Methwick for a reason! The university is the only thing that keeps Bloomsburg a float, and some of the back streets are rundown just like the coal region in Berwick and Bloom. The rural areas near Columbia, Snyder and Montour, the areas you mention are not as bad as in the nearby southern coal region but there is really nothing there other than Knoebles Amusement Park. Williamsport is in lycoming County in the areas you mention and that is really ghetto high crime anymore. Just dont think this area is really good.

Shopping and Restaurants are tepid across this region. I wouldn't suggest at all. Also Danville and the areas you mention are Way to close to the downtrotten Hazleton, Sunbury, Shamokin, Pottsville, Shenandoah, Tamaqua Corridor. Taxes are even higher in those areas. Which is really sad. And really its the same PA BS poor local services, high gas taxes, small local government BS and bad roads along with the bad weather! Overall not the best advise!
Well, we are still focusing mainly in the areas listed previously, but I will not completely rule anywhere out until I have done some extra digging. Your input is absolutely taken into consideration of course! You should see the insanity that is my NEPA notebook! There are lots of areas we peeked at previously but when I see them mentioned in posts like this I make a note to go back and look again, or that there have been negative comments made.

Its so important to get the full picture and I appreciate ALL opinions!!! You all are helping my family and I out incredibly. Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

117 posts, read 88,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDee333 View Post
Wonderful, helpful advice! Would you recommend Scranton as an area for purchasing a rental property, though? We want to buy a multifamily type unit in a city/busy area that will maintain renters... Should we look elsewhere? Thank you!
May I ask- why in God's name would you want to invest in rental property in an area like Scranton???

For tenants you are likely to get section 8, low lifes, or people that will either trash the place or skip out on the rent.

Decent people for the most part don't want to live there because there aren't any jobs. Unless you plan on becoming a slumlord I would avoid that area.

Are there nicer areas in Scranton? I can't answer that question because I don't know the city as well as some of the other posters.

But as far as investment property, you want something that will increase in value- not decline. And you want it in an area where you will get decent tenants that pay the rent and don't destroy the place.

Even Allentown, which is another city with a lot of problems, has it's nicer areas. Look in the Lehigh valley like some of the others are telling you and stay away from Monroe, Luzerne, Lackawanna, Columbia counties.

Investing in any of the areas people are warning you about is just a bad idea, plain and simple.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
May I ask- why in God's name would you want to invest in rental property in an area like Scranton???

For tenants you are likely to get section 8, low lifes, or people that will either trash the place or skip out on the rent.

Decent people for the most part don't want to live there because there aren't any jobs. Unless you plan on becoming a slumlord I would avoid that area.

Are there nicer areas in Scranton? I can't answer that question because I don't know the city as well as some of the other posters.

But as far as investment property, you want something that will increase in value- not decline. And you want it in an area where you will get decent tenants that pay the rent and don't destroy the place.

Even Allentown, which is another city with a lot of problems, has it's nicer areas. Look in the Lehigh valley like some of the others are telling you and stay away from Monroe, Luzerne, Lackawanna, Columbia counties.

Investing in any of the areas people are warning you about is just a bad idea, plain and simple.
Absolutely!

The reason we were/are looking at Scranton is because it seemed to be a bigger city area that isnt too far from the NEPA areas we were looking at buying our personal home in. It seems close to schools and businesses and the prices for these properties are well within our budget. We absolutely DO NOT want to be slumlords, we just want to become landlords in an area that will have consistent renters. This is exactly why I am posting here; to get the best idea of where we should buy a home and a rental property.

You are 100% correct... we do want decent tenants who will help keep the home in good condition and not put holes in the walls or be generally disruptive/destructive! In a perfect world we would purchase a property that has had long standing renters that wish to keep it their home for the long term!

I will absolutely look in those other areas as well- We just want to be sure there is enough of a demand where we won't purchase the property and then have it sit empty because there is no one who wants or needs to rent there.

I am glad you are shooting straight with me, because that is why I came to this forum! All opinions and experiences are valuable!

Last edited by MamaDee333; Yesterday at 01:17 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

211 posts, read 85,775 times
This is an interesting topic. But I do got relatives in Pennsylvania, and from talking to them and visiting up there. I see some problems sociologically speaking in PA. Especially in the northeast Where NEPA's proximity to Northern Jersey, New York and Philly is actually in today's world a bad thing.

With the housing prices through the roof along with high taxes in the Urban Northeast . The criminal element looks to move to NEPA to start their criminal enterprises in 2017.

The older hard working people from the industrial era are unfortunately dying off. Many of Their kids are moving or did move out of the area so in turn for quick sales, sell the family half double or row homes to Foreign investors. Which they rent to the criminal element from out of state or the Philly Region. This is a vicious cycle emerging throughout NEPA. Unlike growing areas like Atlanta and Central Florida, this area isnt growing with new homes or subdivisions its slumlords buying up properties (mostly older homes) and renting them mostly to a lot of out of towers. Looking at Places like Hazleton, Wilkes Barre, Pottsville, Scranton and Shamokin these are prime examples of this.

Last edited by paradiselost; Yesterday at 02:08 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

117 posts, read 88,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDee333 View Post
Absolutely!

The reason we were/are looking at Scranton is because it seemed to be a bigger city area that isnt too far from the NEPA areas we were looking at buying our personal home in. It seems close to schools and businesses and the prices for these properties are well within our budget. We absolutely DO NOT want to be slumlords, we just want to become landlords in an area that will have consistent renters. This is exactly why I am posting here; to get the best idea of where we should buy a home and a rental property.

You are 100% correct... we do want decent tenants who will help keep the home in good condition and not put holes in the walls or be generally disruptive/destructive! In a perfect world we would purchase a property that has had long standing renters that wish to keep it their home for the long term!

I will absolutely look in those other areas as well- We just want to be sure there is enough of a demand where we won't purchase the property and then have it sit empty because there is no one who wants or needs to rent there.

I am glad you are shooting straight with me, because that is why I came to this forum! All opinions and experiences are valuable!
I'd just like to put a few things on the table for you to think about.

In one of your earlier posts you said you had the choice of going anywhere in the country. If I had a choice like that- Pennsylvania would be my LAST choice for sure. :-/

Not all of PA is a literal hellhole like northeast PA. Other areas have lower taxes. But all of PA has one thing in common- a very high cost of living. There is also a lack of jobs, at least in this area unless you want to make a career out of being a chambermaid or working at a water park. What jobs there are pay very little. Most of PA survives on an economy based on tourism. The jobs that are here are dead end low wage service industry jobs.

With the property tax situation, lack of decent jobs and high cost of living- people are moving OUT of PA- not moving IN.

This is not New York. A decade or two ago there were neighborhoods in Brooklyn where you could have bought a brownstone for as little as $10,000. But you couldn't walk the street there in daylight, let alone at night.

Long story short- brave people did buy those brownstones, and now you can't touch them for under $1,000,000. The areas got gentrified, cleaned up, and now they are absolute prime real estate. The thugs, drunks, hookers and druggies are all gone now and those neighborhoods are gorgeous.

But that is New York. New York has money, and jobs. This is PA. The same thing in unlikely to happen here and if you plan on investing here it is my personal opinion that you are making a monumental mistake.

You like the change of seasons. Fair enough. Why not consider one of the southern states like South Carolina?

I have a close friend who lives in Greenville, SC. He has a house that is to die for, and his property taxes are 1/4 of what mine are. Cost of living is much lower there as well.

Greenville is in the northeast corner of SC, so it has 4 seasons, but mild winters. It's in the mountains, and it looks much like NE PA. Forget palm trees- you won't see any in that part of the state.

The economy in Greenville is doing quite well, and there are several large production facilities there such as Michelin and BMW. Downtown has been completely revitalized, and now boasts a lovely river walk lined with shops and restaurants.

Greenville has been making a lot of "top 10" lists lately as a great place to live and retire.

I'm just using Greenville as an example, because I have been there many times and I love it. It would be my 2nd choice to retire if we can't find a place in Florida.

Asheville, NC is another gorgeous place. It's being called the "Aspen of the East" now. However- prices have gone waaaaay up in that area. But it's a beautiful place.

Another thing you should be aware of- PA has the most draconian filial responsibility laws in the country.

29 states have these laws, which hearken back to the English Poor Laws from the 16th century- but only PA is actively enforcing them.

You said you have an elderly in-law living with you. I don't know your financial situation, and I am not asking because it's none of my business, but I just want to make you aware of how this works.

If you have an elderly parent that has to be put in a nursing home, once they run out of money to pay for that long-term care and Medicaid has to pick up the tab, the nursing home has the right to sue YOU for whatever charges Medicaid does not pay, and they don't even have to wait for Medicaid to kick in before they haul you to court.

This applies IF the parent is in a nursing home in PA. Where you live is irrelevant, they will still sue YOU wherever you live.

70% of elderly people in nursing homes are on Medicaid. The nursing home industry has a very strong lobby, especially here in PA. There is absolutely NO oversight on billing for these places and what they can charge for every little thing. Corruption is rampant in this industry, and in this state and it's government in general.

PA is the 5th most corrupt state. Google it.

PA also has continuous unending budget problems, and Gov. Wolf has already predicted a 2 billion dollar shortfall in Medicaid funds.

Then there is what's going on in Washington, where the powers that be want to abolish Medicaid altogether... :-[

So if your parent is on Medicaid in a nursing home, the nursing home can- and will- pad the bill and sue you for whatever the govt doesn't pay. If you get sued, and lose- they can put a lien on your house, freeze your assets, garnish your wages, and you could be on the hook for $100,000 a year of nursing home bills if Medicaid goes away... :-O

I do not know if any of this applies to you or not, but it's something that very few people are aware of until it bites them in the behind. Even the people I tell refuse to believe it. Google it. And if the GOP has their way with healthcare things are about to get a lot worse...

I'm just putting all this out there so you know what you're getting into.

If I were you- I would think long and hard before investing in this state, to be sure.

I have been as honest with you as possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania