U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:43 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,586,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Dee,

The best performing school district in Lackawanna County is Abington Heights. Also very strong sports programs in both boys and girls sports. Abington is comprised of North and South Abington Townships, Clarks Green, Clarks Summit, Newton Ranson and Waverly Township. I believe I captured them all.

So if safety, schools and proximity to lots of box store shopping then Abington area makes sense. Crime is virtually non existent you jear of some drugs and DUIs on the main drag but thats about it.

In full disclosure, it lacks diversity not sure if that's a problem. I would venture to guess Abington is 95% or more white with some asian, Indian mixed in. Just throwing that out there. Also have a budget in mind ?because it is considered a higher priced area but there are deals to be had.

As another poster states you are 10 mins from downtown Scranton and the same to all Dickson City shopping. Also very easy access to 81 and the Pa turnpike.

Only other area with children I would even consider is Moscow. It is pretty rural there though while Clarks Summit has a bigger town not big by any means but ok. Clarks Summit has chains, Dunkin, Starbucks, Krispy Kreme the usuals a DQ being built. It's becoming pretty developed actually.

Don't mean to offend some here but id avoid Scranton. Higher crime, poor schools, high taxes for little return and I believe it's down and out. The mall is an eye sore with almost no occupancy.

If you aren't hell bent on NEPA, I would consider the Lehigh Valley. It's on the rise much closer to opportunities in Philly and Philly burbs. Also closer to NYC. Tons of colleges there as well. I would imagine a bit more expensive but also has good schools in the burbs. I've made it from there to Philly in 45 mins so that's nice.

Please feel free to ask away I won't sugar coat anything.
Having lived in the Poconos, the Wyoming Valley, and the Lehigh Valley I'd have to agree with the above.

I would never consider living in the Poconos again.

I lived in Clarks Summit for 2 years, very nice town.

But my top choice would be the Lehigh Valley as long as you avoid the three cities (Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton) and any towns that use their schools (i.e.: Forks Twp).

You can find suburban to semi-rural in Lehigh and still have good schools and not be too far from anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 04:27 PM

39 posts, read 3,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
I'd just like to put a few things on the table for you to think about.

In one of your earlier posts you said you had the choice of going anywhere in the country. If I had a choice like that- Pennsylvania would be my LAST choice for sure. :-/

I'm just putting all this out there so you know what you're getting into.

If I were you- I would think long and hard before investing in this state, to be sure.

I have been as honest with you as possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Wow... I am truly sorry that you are so unhappy and I sincerely hope that things change for you soon. No one should have to exist somewhere in which they feel so strongly/negatively...

I will take everything you have said to heart and put it towards all that I have thus far compiled... That being said, I will say that a nursing home situation like you described will most likely not be an issue, as I am a caregiver by nature and trade and will be personally caring for him throughout the remainder of his life... He has made me promise to never put him in a home and I intend to keep that promise.

Pennsylvania is a place that has captured my husband's heart in the past, and is a place that we feel drawn to. We are not looking to be millionaires (far from it!), and frankly are happy just living comfortably... I have skills that can be utilized almost anywhere, as does my husband... We have considered the Carolinas, as well as Florida, and they simply do not have the same draw for us as NEPA does... but please know that I genuinely appreciate your feelings and thoughts on this!

Again, the unhappiness you have with the place you live is palpable, even through text. It breaks my heart, even though I do not know you, and I pray that you find peace and/or a satisfactory solution very soon.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Having lived in the Poconos, the Wyoming Valley, and the Lehigh Valley I'd have to agree with the above.

I would never consider living in the Poconos again.

I lived in Clarks Summit for 2 years, very nice town.

But my top choice would be the Lehigh Valley as long as you avoid the three cities (Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton) and any towns that use their schools (i.e.: Forks Twp).

You can find suburban to semi-rural in Lehigh and still have good schools and not be too far from anything.
I like that Clarks Summit keeps popping up! That is definitely helpful, and I will add a star next to Lehigh Valley for my perusing THANK YOU for the heads up on towns to avoid in the area! I really appreciate it! I do want to ask though what it was/is about living in the Poconos that makes you say you would never live there again? Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2017, 04:33 PM

2,139 posts, read 4,296,276 times
We have a vacation home in the Poconos and I love the area but I would not live there full time. Especially not with children. I also would not rule out the entire state of Pennsylvania!

Old 06-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
We have a vacation home in the Poconos and I love the area but I would not live there full time. Especially not with children. I also would not rule out the entire state of Pennsylvania!
Thanks for responding! What other areas of Pennsylvania would you recommend? I am still looking in other areas, even though NEPA seems to be where we will land. Out of curiosity, why would you not want to live there full time with children? Any information helps. Thank you so much for your reply!

Old 06-08-2017, 04:43 PM

29,085 posts, read 61,260,843 times
I grew up in Pittston Township, which is a community equidistant to Scranton or Wilkes-Barre in extreme northeastern Luzerne County.

I lived there from 1986-2009 and visit the area several times per year.

The "valley cities" of Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties tend to be quite insular in nature. Many of these communities are populated nearly 100% by natives of these two counties, and many have known one another since childhood. I've heard it can be difficult to make in-roads socially in those communities as a transplant, especially from out-of-state, because the natives are so firmly entrenched in their habits, routines, and social circles.

Kingston and Forty Fort (opposite the Susquehanna River from Wilkes-Barre) are two exceptions to this rule in Luzerne County, as both communities have an above-average population of white-collar professionals (architects, attorneys, professors, engineers, etc.) Many of my professors when I attended King's College in Wilkes-Barre lived in either Kingston or Forty Fort, and many of them were transplants. Forty Fort is a very desirable small town, actually, and while Kingston seems to have had some struggles in recent years with drugs I do know that they also have a very proactive and aggressive police department.

Most of the areas recommended on here are cookie-cutter "bedroom communities". The Back Mountain, Mountain Top are Abingtons/Clarks Summit are home to tens of thousands of people who live in mostly newer construction (1970s or newer) homes in subdivisions. Mountain Top doesn't really have any sort of a "town center". The Back Mountain has a small town center with Dallas. Downtown Clarks Summit is actually cool and quaint, albeit small. Out-of-state transplants are very common in all three of these areas.

I'm not quite as morose and pessimistic about Scranton as some others on here are. The city's population has actually started to grow again, believe it or not, after several generations of steep decline. There is a new upscale movie theater Downtown; the formerly-decrepit Mall at Steamtown is being overhauled; the University of Scranton campus continues to expand; and there are actually people living Downtown who are young professionals, which would have been unheard of a decade ago. Green Ridge is a highly-sought-after upscale "old money" neighborhood in North Scranton with grand old historic homes. East Mountain has some upper-middle-class areas. The Hill District is a mixed bag, but I always liked it due to the architectural charm despite the presence of college partying and drug-related issues. There are also huge swaths of the city that are in trouble, as has been described. It's disingenuous, though, for so many on here to be painting such a broad brush about a city of nearly 80,000 people. I would encourage you to consider investing in a rental property in Scranton; HOWEVER, if would behoove you to post here for advice, first, about potential neighborhoods. Dunmore, which is a densely-populated inner suburb of Scranton, as well as Old Forge, are two more towns to consider for rental properties.

If I had to pick an area for you I'd honestly "go with the flow" and suggest The Abingtons. They are without a doubt the most expensive part of the metro area in terms of housing prices, but you get what you pay for. The public school district is top-notch; crime is nearly non-existent; your neighbors will likely be worldly educated professional types, many of whom will hail from out-of-state; and the area is extremely convenient to I-476 (to Philly) and to I-81 (with easy access then to I-380/I-84 to NYC or New England, respectively). Clarks Summit is about ten minutes to a plethora of chain restaurants, big-box stores, and the Viewmont Mall in Dickson City. If you want a walkable town center environment buy in Clarks Summit. South Abington Township is probably one of the most affluent communities in the region (behind Waverly Township and maybe one or two other townships), and its environment is mostly cookie-cutter housing subdivisions. The "Chinchilla" part of the township is home to a business strip with grocery stores, restaurants, and services.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:46 PM

4,673 posts, read 2,998,169 times
We live in Pittsburgh full time. We have been here 5 years. It has been very hard for us to make friends at our age (early 50's). The schools are excellent and our kids have thrived here, but its not for us full time. Many people have their entire families living very close and spend a lot of time with them so there is very little time to socialize with others. Work ; it was difficult for us to get work and between us, we have been unemployed for half of the 5 years.
Just my opinion.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM

118 posts, read 89,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
This is an interesting topic. But I do got relatives in Pennsylvania, and from talking to them and visiting up there. I see some problems sociologically speaking in PA. Especially in the northeast Where NEPA's proximity to Northern Jersey, New York and Philly is actually in today's world a bad thing.

With the housing prices through the roof along with high taxes in the Urban Northeast . The criminal element looks to move to NEPA to start their criminal enterprises in 2017.

The older hard working people from the industrial era are unfortunately dying off. Many of Their kids are moving or did move out of the area so in turn for quick sales, sell the family half double or row homes to Foreign investors. Which they rent to the criminal element from out of state or the Philly Region. This is a vicious cycle emerging throughout NEPA. Unlike growing areas like Atlanta and Central Florida, this area isnt growing with new homes or subdivisions its slumlords buying up properties (mostly older homes) and renting them mostly to a lot of out of towers. Looking at Places like Hazleton, Wilkes Barre, Pottsville, Scranton and Shamokin these are prime examples of this.
Bingo. You hit the nail on the head. Slumlords and foreign investors buying houses and renting them out to section 8 tenants.

The older folks are moving out because they can't afford the taxes anymore. Many had to leave the homes they were born in. And what's moving in is welfare trash, low lives, and general scum.

Nobody in their right mind would buy here because of the taxes and cost of living, and the only ones moving here are people you really wouldn't want to live with.

I left NY to get away from this. :-/

Yes, even Florida's economy is booming compared to here. Lot's of new jobs in the aerospace industry down there, with more on the way. What do we have here? Water parks up the wazoo- with more planned for the future.

It's an economically depressed area that isn't coming back anytime in the next 10 or more years- if ever. :-[

Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM

118 posts, read 89,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDee333 View Post
Wow... I am truly sorry that you are so unhappy and I sincerely hope that things change for you soon. No one should have to exist somewhere in which they feel so strongly/negatively...

I will take everything you have said to heart and put it towards all that I have thus far compiled... That being said, I will say that a nursing home situation like you described will most likely not be an issue, as I am a caregiver by nature and trade and will be personally caring for him throughout the remainder of his life... He has made me promise to never put him in a home and I intend to keep that promise.

Pennsylvania is a place that has captured my husband's heart in the past, and is a place that we feel drawn to. We are not looking to be millionaires (far from it!), and frankly are happy just living comfortably... I have skills that can be utilized almost anywhere, as does my husband... We have considered the Carolinas, as well as Florida, and they simply do not have the same draw for us as NEPA does... but please know that I genuinely appreciate your feelings and thoughts on this!

Again, the unhappiness you have with the place you live is palpable, even through text. It breaks my heart, even though I do not know you, and I pray that you find peace and/or a satisfactory solution very soon.

Thank you for your kind words. :-)

I hope to at least become a snowbird so I can escape the misery of winters here. It would relieve some of the pressure... lol :-)

Old 06-08-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I grew up in Pittston Township, which is a community equidistant to Scranton or Wilkes-Barre in extreme northeastern Luzerne County.

I lived there from 1986-2009 and visit the area several times per year.

The "valley cities" of Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties tend to be quite insular in nature. Many of these communities are populated nearly 100% by natives of these two counties, and many have known one another since childhood. I've heard it can be difficult to make in-roads socially in those communities as a transplant, especially from out-of-state, because the natives are so firmly entrenched in their habits, routines, and social circles.

Kingston and Forty Fort (opposite the Susquehanna River from Wilkes-Barre) are two exceptions to this rule in Luzerne County, as both communities have an above-average population of white-collar professionals (architects, attorneys, professors, engineers, etc.) Many of my professors when I attended King's College in Wilkes-Barre lived in either Kingston or Forty Fort, and many of them were transplants. Forty Fort is a very desirable small town, actually, and while Kingston seems to have had some struggles in recent years with drugs I do know that they also have a very proactive and aggressive police department.

Most of the areas recommended on here are cookie-cutter "bedroom communities". The Back Mountain, Mountain Top are Abingtons/Clarks Summit are home to tens of thousands of people who live in mostly newer construction (1970s or newer) homes in subdivisions. Mountain Top doesn't really have any sort of a "town center". The Back Mountain has a small town center with Dallas. Downtown Clarks Summit is actually cool and quaint, albeit small. Out-of-state transplants are very common in all three of these areas.

I'm not quite as morose and pessimistic about Scranton as some others on here are. The city's population has actually started to grow again, believe it or not, after several generations of steep decline. There is a new upscale movie theater Downtown; the formerly-decrepit Mall at Steamtown is being overhauled; the University of Scranton campus continues to expand; and there are actually people living Downtown who are young professionals, which would have been unheard of a decade ago. Green Ridge is a highly-sought-after upscale "old money" neighborhood in North Scranton with grand old historic homes. East Mountain has some upper-middle-class areas. The Hill District is a mixed bag, but I always liked it due to the architectural charm despite the presence of college partying and drug-related issues. There are also huge swaths of the city that are in trouble, as has been described. It's disingenuous, though, for so many on here to be painting such a broad brush about a city of nearly 80,000 people. I would encourage you to consider investing in a rental property in Scranton; HOWEVER, if would behoove you to post here for advice, first, about potential neighborhoods. Dunmore, which is a densely-populated inner suburb of Scranton, as well as Old Forge, are two more towns to consider for rental properties.

If I had to pick an area for you I'd honestly "go with the flow" and suggest The Abingtons. They are without a doubt the most expensive part of the metro area in terms of housing prices, but you get what you pay for. The public school district is top-notch; crime is nearly non-existent; your neighbors will likely be worldly educated professional types, many of whom will hail from out-of-state; and the area is extremely convenient to I-476 (to Philly) and to I-81 (with easy access then to I-380/I-84 to NYC or New England, respectively). Clarks Summit is about ten minutes to a plethora of chain restaurants, big-box stores, and the Viewmont Mall in Dickson City. If you want a walkable town center environment buy in Clarks Summit. South Abington Township is probably one of the most affluent communities in the region (behind Waverly Township and maybe one or two other townships), and its environment is mostly cookie-cutter housing subdivisions. The "Chinchilla" part of the township is home to a business strip with grocery stores, restaurants, and services.
This has probably been one of the most helpful responses I have gotten thus far. SO MUCH FANTASTIC DETAILED INFORMATION! Thank you a million times over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania